Member

Default Dado Blades – Need Recommendation

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price). Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat bottom??? Where to buy???

I have the Freud SD600. I picked it up at a woodworking show. I think
it does a great job. No complaints at all.

Jim
www.woodblog.com

wood addict

The Infinity Dadonator has been the top pick in several WW magazine tool
tests. I have had one for 6 months and LOVE it. At $179.00 Its a great
deal. check it out at www.infinitytools.com

Davethetooljunky

I picked up the forrest when amazon had it on sale for ~$100 last year. It
is great.

-j

deal. check it out at www.infinitytools.com

Davethetooljunky

deal. check it out at www.infinitytools.com

Davethetooljunky

Tom Banes

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set.

Forrest dado-king. Comes with mag shims. Cuts like a laser.

Just my 2 pennies.
Greg G.

joe2 said:

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read
about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud
SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price).
Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat
bottom??? Where to buy???

The Forrest Dado-King and the Freud are both nice tools. In a recent
Fine Woodworking test, the Freud recieved slightly higher scores.

I started with an entry level $99 Freud 8" dado, and still use it.
Pretty clean cuts, even on box joints - but it only has 2 wings on the
chippers. I don't use it on melamine, however.

Where? Almost anywhere fine tools are sold.

Greg G.
Doug Miller

In article , joe2 wrote:

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read
about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud
SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price).
Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat
bottom??? Where to buy???

Hard to go wrong with the Ridge Carbide "North Woods" dado set IMO.
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/dado.htm

Somewhat smoother cut than the Forrest Dado King, at about two-thirds the
price. Bought one at the woodworking show about three years ago, and am
absolutely delighted with the quality of the cuts.

--
Regards,

David

joe2 wrote:

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read
about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud
SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price).
Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat
bottom??? Where to buy???

Picky me likes the SD508 from Freud. Not cheap, but what is when it
comes to quality tools??

dave
Joseph Connors

I just picked up the Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-width Dado from Amazon for
$189.74 delivered. At that price it puts it close to the other sets in
price and no shims.

David wrote:
joe2 wrote:

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read
about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud
SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price).
Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat
bottom??? Where to buy???

Picky me likes the SD508 from Freud. Not cheap, but what is when it
comes to quality tools??

dave

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Those with the gold, make the rules!

David

David wrote:

joe2 wrote:

Have a Unisaw, looking for a dado set. On-line I’ve found and read
about everything from a $50 set with paper shims to a high-end Freud
SD600 dial-a-width adjustable dado costing $400 ($250 street price).
Any recommendation on a dado that cuts square corners and a flat
bottom??? Where to buy???

Picky me likes the SD508 from Freud. Not cheap, but what is when it
comes to quality tools??

dave

you suck!

that's the price of the sd-508 last xmas, from Amazon

Dave
Swingman

"Joseph Connors" wrote in message
I just picked up the Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-width Dado from Amazon for
$189.74 delivered. At that price it puts it close to the other sets in
price and no shims.

How did you get it from Amazon at that price??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Connors
I just picked up the Freud SD608 8" Dial-a-width Dado from Amazon for
$189.74 delivered. At that price it puts it close to the other sets in
price and no shims.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Those with the gold, make the rules!

Thanks to everyone for the suggests!!!

I tried for the $170 Infinity Datonator but they are sold out, on back order for a couple weeks more. Didn’t want to toss out $250 for the Freud dial-a-setting dados, but then Joseph mentioned a deal on Amazon.com. Didn’t find it, but I did find a brand new set of Freud SD608 dial-a-setting dado on Ebay for $186 delivered, so I bought it.

Thanks again to everyone.

Swingman

"Joseph Connors" wrote in message
I just searched Amazon under "Freud SD-608" and it returned the item
with a price of $199.99. I guess they just raised the price a little.

Post your Amazon link ... the only price I see on Amazon, or any links from
there, for the Freud SD-608 is still $249.99.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Joseph Connors

Here's the Link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

It still shows 199.99. Hope this works for you. I bought this sucker for
a mobile clamp rack I'm building for the 22 K-bodies I bought to go with
the 4 I already had.

Swingman wrote:
"Joseph Connors" wrote in message

I just searched Amazon under "Freud SD-608" and it returned the item
with a price of $199.99. I guess they just raised the price a little.

Post your Amazon link ... the only price I see on Amazon, or any links from
there, for the Freud SD-608 is still $249.99.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Those with the gold, make the rules!

Swingman

"Neal" wrote in message

That's not the SD-608. That is the SD 508. Completely different.

That's what I kept coming up with ... I would have jumped all over an SD-608
at the price Joseph say's he bought at.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Joseph Connors

Neal/Swingman:

My apologies! Your right, the SD-608 appears to have gone up in price.
I'm sorry for misleading you ... I typed in the wrong dado.

Swingman wrote:

[...]

That's where I bought mine. Came in time and a sealed factory package.
One of the few tools that I have really just played with, its neat.
ED

eBay seller sent me his personal stock list AAvK Woodworking 14 March 2nd 05 11:18 PM
dado blades Harry De Witt Woodworking 9 June 16th 04 09:57 PM
Arrgh! No more Jesada Dado Blades DLGlos Woodworking 15 October 9th 03 02:42 PM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM