Default Is hemlock a good wood or junk?

I have a tree that fell on my property. Its a 2ft diameter hemlock
(evergreen, small needles, bark looks like a regular tree). Its been
dead for about 3 years and have no idea if its infested with anything
or not. Is it worth my trouble to get it milled up?

Thanks.
Jeff

J.B. Bobbitt

It's resistant to rot and infestation, and is often used for exterior
trim. I think its worth something. Do an online search and look for
prices in your area:

http://www.woodfinder.com/

-jbb

On 27 Oct 2005 10:52:57 -0700, wrote:

I have a tree that fell on my property. Its a 2ft diameter hemlock
(evergreen, small needles, bark looks like a regular tree). Its been
dead for about 3 years and have no idea if its infested with anything
or not. Is it worth my trouble to get it milled up?

Thanks.
Jeff

George

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
It's resistant to rot and infestation, and is often used for exterior
trim. I think its worth something. Do an online search and look for
prices in your area:

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Note that right and left coast varieties differ.
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/blehem.htm
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/blwhem.htm

Neither are considered more than moderately resistant in the heartwood, and
are therefore used as structural lumber rather than trim.

Thanks to all that replied. It'll probably end up as firewood. I was
hoping that on some off chance that it might be good for furniture. Oh
welll, I do still have a hickory to use as boards... :-)

Thanks.
Jeff

John Grossbohlin

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a tree that fell on my property. Its a 2ft diameter hemlock
(evergreen, small needles, bark looks like a regular tree). Its been
dead for about 3 years and have no idea if its infested with anything
or not. Is it worth my trouble to get it milled up?

I'd be very surprised if it weren't insect infested and/or rotten if it's
been down for three years... There is a lot of hemlock around here and from
what I've seen, once it's on the ground it deteriorates quickly. This is a
very different situation from milled lumber that is generally kept out of
the weather, or painted and maintained, where hemlock is OK. It makes poor
firewood--too soft and leaves a lot of creosote in the chimney.

John

NorthIdahoWWer

Here in the NW, hemlock is commonly used as baseboards & trim in tract
houses, including the one I live in. It takes stain & lacquer well. It's
similar in grain to fir but lighter in color, more yellow whereas fir is
redder. Don't know about a tree that's been on the ground for 3 years
though. Firewood is a good possibility.

Will

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a tree that fell on my property. Its a 2ft diameter hemlock
(evergreen, small needles, bark looks like a regular tree). Its been
dead for about 3 years and have no idea if its infested with anything
or not. Is it worth my trouble to get it milled up?

Thanks.
Jeff

Its been standing dead for 2 years and a storm blew it over. Even
now, the branches have kept it off of the ground. It'll be a real bear
to get it out though.

Jeff

Mike Marlow

"TomWoodman" wrote in message
Too soft for any kind of furniture. Good for construction lumber ONLY if
it has been kiln dried.

It is too soft for furniture, but it's also good for construction even if
it's not been kiln dried. Hemlock dries quite hard as anyone who has tried
to drive a nail into it after a few years knows.

--

-Mike-

Ed

Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Ed

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a tree that fell on my property. Its a 2ft diameter hemlock
(evergreen, small needles, bark looks like a regular tree). Its been
dead for about 3 years and have no idea if its infested with anything
or not. Is it worth my trouble to get it milled up?

Thanks.
Jeff

George

"Ed" wrote in message
Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Once again, you might want to read about the wood before you put it
outdoors.

mike hide

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message
Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Once again, you might want to read about the wood before you put it
outdoors.

Hemlock is poisonous, one of the old timer greek guys drank it to poisn
himself.....

Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:17:33 -0400, "mike hide"
scribbled:

"Ed" wrote in message
Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Once again, you might want to read about the wood before you put it
outdoors.

Hemlock is poisonous, one of the old timer greek guys drank it to poisn
himself.....

The pine family trees found in North America and eastern Asia called
hemlock (genus Tsuga) have no relation with the poisonous Eurasian
herbs in the Carrot family (genera Conium & Cicuta).

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

mike hide

"Ed" wrote in message
Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Once again, you might want to read about the wood before you put it
outdoors.

Hemlock is poisonous, one of the old timer greek guys drank it to poisn
himself.....

The pine family trees found in North America and eastern Asia called
hemlock (genus Tsuga) have no relation with the poisonous Eurasian
herbs in the Carrot family (genera Conium & Cicuta).

I was just pulling your ****er, when we were kids we used hemlock stalks for
pea shooters and haws for peas....mjh

"Ed" wrote in message
Hemlock has frequently been used for bridges due to it's strength and
resistance to decay, once dried. When I rebuild my deck in a couple of
years, I intend to use hemlock instead of cedar.

Once again, you might want to read about the wood before you put it
outdoors.

Hemlock is poisonous, one of the old timer greek guys drank it to poisn
himself.....

Sometimes words have two meanings.

--

FF

### micro-FAQ on wood # 039 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 May 24th 05 10:18 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 035 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 08:09 PM
Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 06:30 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 012 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 1 June 15th 04 01:04 PM