R.H.

Default What is it? LXXXV

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#490: Bike tire tool?
#491: Dunno, looks familiar, though.
#492: Binoculars
#493: Some sort of musical instrument?
#494: Dunno again. Looks familiar.
#495: Looks like one heck of a grinding wheel dresser! Meat
tenderizer. For poking holes in apple pie crusts?!?
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

490 ? If it's a wrench, made for square nuts/bolts. Projection on right;
Hook a loop of wire/string and stretch it over a hook/peg/etc. ?

491 Reminds me of a window opener for those high windows in old schools.
Goes on the end of a wood pole to reach up to latches, but the ones I
remember had a hook on the end.

492 Binoculars

493 Didn't I just see this a while back? Or somewhere else(?) Someone
suggested a portable cigar humidor.

494 ??

495 Seems like something to do with baking, but ? Secret tool used by
"antique" creators for distressing wood?

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

DanG

495. This is a carpet layers roller, used to disguise seams.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

490 ? If it's a wrench, made for square nuts/bolts.
Projection on right; Hook a loop of wire/string and stretch it
over a hook/peg/etc. ?

491 Reminds me of a window opener for those high windows in
old schools. Goes on the end of a wood pole to reach up to
latches, but the ones I remember had a hook on the end.

492 Binoculars

493 Didn't I just see this a while back? Or somewhere else(?)
Someone suggested a portable cigar humidor.

494 ??

495 Seems like something to do with baking, but ? Secret tool
used by "antique" creators for distressing wood?

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

humunculus

I know what #490 is....sort of. I think I remember the 'feel' of using
something like it once, but maybe I'm wrong and just generating some
sort of false memory.

Its a wrench handle, but as you see the inner hole is flared. The
wrench slips onto a tapered bolt, and the tab at the top slips under a
little lip, so that when the wrench is turned, it cannot be removed
from the nut. The bolt head is tapered so that normal wrenches will pop
off and not work. Even a socket won't do it; it has to have this little
tab to hold it down on the bolt. Maybe I'm thinking of a gas valve
handle...

#491 Now THAT looks like the top to a pressure cooker.

#494 A trigger guard?

--humunculus

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From RCM

492. Binocular adjustment wheel
495. Carpet seam roller.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
sewiv

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

491: Clock winding key
494: a hearing aid of some kind?

David Sizemore

490: Dunno
491: I want to say "Shell casing hammered into Bishop"
492: Binoculars (focus ring)
493: Humidor
494: Dunno-hangs on the BatBelt maybe?
495: Pizza/pie crust "docker" for limiting bubble production

Jim Hill

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

491. looks like it could be a brass finial for the top of a ceremonial flag
or "standard".

--
Regards - Jim

humunculus

493 Didn't I just see this a while back? Or somewhere else(?) Someone
suggested a portable cigar humidor.

Hmmm, maybe so. And the removable thingy at the top holds the matches.
Could be...

--humunculus

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hah! My reader's been killfiling these because they have XXX in the
title. Fixed now.

490. Mute button for pipes.
491. Carrot sharpener--shavings come out the small hole.
492. Panty examination scope.
493. That's a thing. It's used for stuff.
494. A hook with an off switch.
495. Ingenious device to torture a whole lot of small animals at once.

Norman D. Crow

"DanG" wrote in message

495. This is a carpet layers roller, used to disguise seams.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

snip

495 Seems like something to do with baking, but ? Secret tool used by
"antique" creators for distressing wood?

Darn! Knew I'd seen one somewhere.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Norman D. Crow

"humunculus" wrote in message
oups.com...
493 Didn't I just see this a while back? Or somewhere else(?) Someone

suggested a portable cigar humidor.

Hmmm, maybe so. And the removable thingy at the top holds the matches.
Could be...

No, it has a sponge to soak & then the holes let the moisture into the cigar
storage.

(BTW, you can pull your tongue out of your cheek now)
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

490: 8 pt wrench
491: Pressure cooker valve
492: Binoculars (finally a close-up I get)
493: Musical instrument of the weird kind
494: Alarm to hang on e.g. a motel door
495: Cooking tool, makes dents in dough.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
R.H.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Results so far:

490. Not sure exactly what this wrench was made for, and haven't been able
to confirm the function of the small piece on the end.

491. The seller of this one thought that it was mounted on the end of a
pole for reaching a slot to turn a machine on or off. I showed it to a guy
who has been selling tools for over forty years and he seemed sure that it
was a decorative piece from a fancy horse drawn carriage. Haven't found any
info to verify this one yet either.

493. Binocular focus wheel

494. Cigar travel humidor

495. No correct answer yet

496. Carpet seam roller

Rob

R.H.

"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

491: Clock winding key
494: a hearing aid of some kind?

It's not a hearing aid, but it does get hooked over the right ear.

Rob

sewiv

R.H. wrote:
"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

491: Clock winding key
494: a hearing aid of some kind?

It's not a hearing aid, but it does get hooked over the right ear.

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

Or some sort of bizarre hands-free flashlight?

--
Sandy

Wayne Cook

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:13:11 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Results so far:

490. Not sure exactly what this wrench was made for, and haven't been able
to confirm the function of the small piece on the end.

491. The seller of this one thought that it was mounted on the end of a
pole for reaching a slot to turn a machine on or off. I showed it to a guy
who has been selling tools for over forty years and he seemed sure that it
was a decorative piece from a fancy horse drawn carriage. Haven't found any
info to verify this one yet either.

There's a chance that it was used to turn old style ceiling fans on
and off. The really old fans had switches in the central hub that took
a tool along these lines to turn on and off.

493. Binocular focus wheel

494. Cigar travel humidor

495. No correct answer yet

496. Carpet seam roller

Rob

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
R.H.

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:13:11 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks, I'll see what I can find on that.

Rob

R.H.

"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

491: Clock winding key
494: a hearing aid of some kind?

It's not a hearing aid, but it does get hooked over the right ear.

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what mechanism
activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

Rob

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Cook
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:13:11 GMT, "R.H." wrote:
[color=blue]
495. No correct answer yet
495 looks like a tool used to roll over wallpaper before steaming. It makes a bunch of small holes that allows steam to penetrate the wallpaper and loosen the glue behind it so the wallpaper can be removed.
carl

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Results so far:
489. This is a hand operated ice cream freezer.

490. Not sure exactly what this wrench was made for, and haven't been

able
to confirm the function of the small piece on the end.

491. The seller of this one thought that it was mounted on the end of a
pole for reaching a slot to turn a machine on or off. I showed it to a

guy
who has been selling tools for over forty years and he seemed sure that it
was a decorative piece from a fancy horse drawn carriage. Haven't found

any
info to verify this one yet either.

493. Binocular focus wheel

494. Cigar travel humidor

495. No correct answer yet

496. Carpet seam roller

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I'm getting into this late. I've been fighting a transition to
a new ISP, and that has limited my web and news access somewhat.

Anyway -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

490) A strange one. The hole is obviously a wrench for square headed
screws (such as are found on many lathes to lock down
adjustments). The eight points allow re-setting at 45 degree
intervals.

The hook on the left seems to be to allow you to get a grip
while the handle is flat on a surface.

The small projection on the right may be for use in levering
something which may bind. Perhaps for removing a Morse taper
tool as an alternative to the usual drill drift used for that
purpose which requires a light hammer blow.

491) Either a valve for releasing vacuum (or venting steam, except
that I would expect a wooden handle for that purpose), or it may
be a stylized chess piece, based on its size, and where it is
sitting.

492) The focus knob for a center-focus pair of binoculars.

493) Just a guess, but it looks like a portable cigar humidor
to me. The sponge would be wet, and the holes would vent the
humidity into the chamber with the cigars stored therein.

Is it possible to assemble the cylinder with the holes not lined
up? If so, it may be so the holes may be blocked in a spare
cylinder until the other one dries up, and you swap to the
second (or third, etc) cylinder.

494) Hmm ... a hearing aid perhaps? Normally they are made of
flesh-colored plastic, as some wearers are sensitive about that,
but the shape is about right to hang the hook over your ear, the
cylindrical bulge at the bottom is for the battery, the
cylindrical knob just above the power switch (it *is* marked
"off" after all) is the volume control, and I think that a clear
tube would come out of the small hole at the end to feed into an
earpiece.

495) For tenderizing meat, perhaps? Or for perforating a plastic
film as it is glued down to eliminate air bubbles?

Now to see what else has been guessed, and then to go to sleep.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
humunculus

#490: Is the little tab twisted in such a way that it would follow a
threaded slot, or is is just a flat tab? A closeup of the tab, and
another of the flat side of the handle, might be helpful. I'm wondering
if that handle wasn't one of a pair that butted against each other.

#491: Again, a closeup of the top and the bottom lip would be helpful.
If it were used as a 'screwdriver' at any time, I think the top piece
might show some wear, and would also be very precisely cut to have
parallel sides, something that a decorative piece would not have. I
know there were/are many devices that require a coin to turn the screw,
so this could easily be a coin-shaped driver that mounted on a stick.
But as such, I think it would have popped out of the screw head
occasionally and left some markings.

--humunculus

humunculus

http://tinyurl.com/a8vze

Lets hope you don't have to tune the radio, or look for a french fry
you dropped in your lap!

--humunculus

R.H.

#490: Is the little tab twisted in such a way that it would follow a
threaded slot, or is is just a flat tab? A closeup of the tab, and
another of the flat side of the handle, might be helpful. I'm wondering
if that handle wasn't one of a pair that butted against each other.

I shot a couple more photos of this wrench showing the bottom and the tab:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic490a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic490b.jpg

The taper on the star shaped hole is very slight, maybe 1/32".

#491: Again, a closeup of the top and the bottom lip would be helpful.
If it were used as a 'screwdriver' at any time, I think the top piece
might show some wear, and would also be very precisely cut to have
parallel sides, something that a decorative piece would not have. I
know there were/are many devices that require a coin to turn the screw,
so this could easily be a coin-shaped driver that mounted on a stick.
But as such, I think it would have popped out of the screw head
occasionally and left some markings.

And a few more of this one, I don't see very much wear that would indicate
it being used as a tool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic491a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic491b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...03/pic491c.jpg

There is a taper on the end, going from 3/16" to 1/8" at the tip.

Rob

DeepDiver

"R.H." wrote in message

"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what
mechanism activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

What activates the alarm is when the head tilts down as the driver nods off.
What SHOULD activate the alarm is the simple act of hooking it onto your
ear. If you're so tired that you have to use this device to keep you awake,
then you're already too tired to be driving.

Greg G.

R.H. said:

"sewiv" wrote in message

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what mechanism
activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

A rolling ball and electrical contacts or a mercury switch - either
would work.

Greg G.
R.H.

"Greg G." wrote in message
R.H. said:

"sewiv" wrote in message

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what

mechanism
activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

A rolling ball and electrical contacts or a mercury switch - either
would work.

Mercury switch is correct, there is a photo of it on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan88k.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message

"sewiv" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what
mechanism activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

What activates the alarm is when the head tilts down as the driver nods

off.
What SHOULD activate the alarm is the simple act of hooking it onto your
ear. If you're so tired that you have to use this device to keep you

awake,
then you're already too tired to be driving.

I agree that if someone is tired enough to use this device then they
shouldn't be driving, I won't be using it.

Rob

Greg G.

R.H. said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
R.H. said:

"sewiv" wrote in message

Is it one of those "sleepy driver" alarms? Sounds when you nod off?

This answer is correct. Part II of this one is to determine what

mechanism
activates the alarm as the driver is falling asleep.

A rolling ball and electrical contacts or a mercury switch - either
would work.

Mercury switch is correct, there is a photo of it on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan88k.blogspot.com/

YEA! What did I win... G

Greg G.
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

495. No correct answer yet

495 is for poking holes into wall paper. If you want to remove wallpaper
you have to whetten it. The holes you poke in with that useless tool
should help penetrating the wall paper with water.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
humunculus

You know, I wonder if #491 isn't some sort of antique 'common sense
fastener'... The shine and wear on the waist makes sense, if it is.

-humunculus

R.H.

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

495. No correct answer yet

495 is for poking holes into wall paper. If you want to remove wallpaper
you have to whetten it. The holes you poke in with that useless tool
should help penetrating the wall paper with water.

My mistake, I skipped a number in the answer post, there may be a similar
tool for wallpaper, but this tool was correctly identified as a carpet seam
roller.

Rob