DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   routing corian (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/126657-routing-corian.html)

noonenparticular October 26th 05 06:07 PM

routing corian

A friend has asked me to put a roundover on a piece of corian. Anything to
be aware of/concerned about?

Does it rout like wood? more abrasive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Robatoy October 26th 05 07:39 PM

routing corian

In article ,
"noonenparticular" wrote:

A friend has asked me to put a roundover on a piece of corian. Anything to
be aware of/concerned about?

Does it rout like wood? more abrasive?

Yup. Slow down on the tip speed and feedrate if you can. Make sure
you're sharp. If it is real Corian/Wilsonart/Meganite/Staron, the
abrasiveness not that bad.
Some of the polyester look-alikes suck canal water.

[email protected] October 26th 05 07:42 PM

routing corian

No chip, waste is dust, ready to waste your face, eyes, & lungs.
Vaccuum collection at the cutter mandatory.
I would not climb cut this stuff, light cuts first to learn its routing
character.
More on routing anything: http://www.patwarner.com/

Toller October 26th 05 08:39 PM

routing corian

It is much easier than you would think. I just routed a Tslot in corian;
piece of cake.

DamnYankee October 26th 05 09:04 PM

routing corian

noonenparticular wrote:
A friend has asked me to put a roundover on a piece of corian. Anything to
be aware of/concerned about?

Does it rout like wood? more abrasive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

It creates a lot of static electricity on your tools. When I have
routed it, I had to keep my thumb anchored on a metal part of the
router to keep from getting shocked. It did the same thing to my PC
belt sander. It shocked the crap out of me for weeks. I finally took
it apart and blew all the dust out of it and then it was fine. Anyone
else ever experience this?

Bryan

Robatoy October 26th 05 11:51 PM

routing corian

In article .com,
wrote:

No chip, waste is dust, ready to waste your face, eyes, & lungs.
Vaccuum collection at the cutter mandatory.

The acrylic versions of solid surface, such as Corian, Wilsonart,
Meganite and others flake off real nice when using a sharp bit. Nice
micro-thin wafers that float like snowflakes in the shape of the cutting
bit.
If and when you're getting a lot of dust, you're no longer cutting, but
grinding. Slow rotational speeds and slow feedrates will reduce the
'grinding' effects.
The dust? Well, I had it analysed on two occasions. Once by the labour
standards people, the second time by an outside lab at the request of a
client. It is considered 'nuisance dust' no different than going down a
country road in a convertible with my sweetie on a warm summer
day..yessir, picnic basket, soft music...bottle of wine...*slap*..

The formulation is methyl methacrylate and aluminum tri-hydrate...
dentists make capped teeth from that stuff. After it is manufactured,
the dust is inert and quite heavy. Within a cpl of minutes, the air is
clear.
I will always recommend wearing a mask, and I do, but there's no
'booga-booga' aspect to the dust whatsoever. Dust from many wood species
are way worse for your health than a totally inert substance like solid
surface dust....at least the acrylic types. (As opposed to the garbage
polyester ones)