Scott Willett

Default Newbie : Which Plane to use

I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the Kreig
pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make it perfectly
flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

Thanks
Scott - Woodstock GA

Toller

"Scott Willett" wrote in message
I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the Kreig
pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make it perfectly
flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

I always sand it. I don't think you even could use a plane for that.

dadiOH

Scott Willett wrote:
I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the Kreig
pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make it
perfectly flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

Depends on how far off they are. If not much, just a palm sander will
work OK. If more, I'd just use a small, block plane. Even better is to
belt sand it. Problem in both cases is that the grain is going at right
angles one piece to another...no problem when one piece is sticking out
considerably but as you plane/sand they get closer together and it is
easy to dig into the other crossgrain piece as you whittle down. When
you get close, take *thin* cuts at an angle, outside toward center or
use a scraper. BTW, you don't have to skinny down all the piece that is
sticking out, just the area in the vicinity of the joint.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

C & S

"Scott Willett" wrote in message
I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the Kreig
pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make it perfectly
flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

Are you not using the Kreig clamp? If not, use it. It makes alignment much
easier. If you are making a double-hole joint place the clamp right
under/over the first hole The move the clamp for the next screw. Use the big
side of the clamp on the show side of the face frame.

ROS from there.

-Steve

Mark Woodward

Scott Willett said the following on 24/10/2005 3:12 AM:

I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the Kreig
pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make it perfectly
flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

Thanks
Scott - Woodstock GA

Hi Scott,

From a fellow newbie! I'm not sure if you've done this but I'll
mention it anyway. Next time try and square everything up,sand/plane etc
*before* you join them. Remember 'measure twice cut once'. The same idea
can be applied to assembling a piece. Check everything first beforehand.

--
Mark

Nate Perkins

"Scott Willett" wrote in
:

Thanks so much for all your replies. A little sanding did the job.

Thanks again
"Scott Willett" wrote in message
I am making my first bookcase and have made the facing out of maple.

I want to know which plane would be best in smoothing out where a
perpendicular and horizontal pieces come together. I used a the
Kreig pocket hole to put the face frame together and I want to make
it perfectly flush. The pieces are bout 2-3 inched in width.

Thanks
Scott - Woodstock GA

Ah, too late now ... but for that I'd use a sharp smooth plane. Just turn
it to follow the grain as you go around the corner. No problem.

Either sanding and scraping works fine, too. But there are some times when
a handplane is better. For example, leveling drawer dividers where you
don't want to round over the edge with a sander ... or leveling a M&T frame
after you have the panel in, when you might accidentally gouge the raising
with the scraper corner. DAMHIKT.