DarthDooku

Default Student Cabinetmaker/Finish Carpenter

I would like to hear about how some of you started and how your career
evolved. I'd like to know about what jobs youve had and how much money
you made.

Limey Lurker

I would like to hear about how some of you started and how your career
evolved. I'd like to know about what jobs youve had and how much money
you made.

Look out, guys, the IRS is after YOU!

DarthDooku

Ok, i guess that sounded bad. I assure you im not the IRS, im just a
curious student. I would like to hear about some peoples careers
though. So if you want to help me understand whats out there, you could
still tell me but not in such detail. Im curious to know what kind of
money i can make and how i can get there.

Jay Pique

DarthDooku wrote:
Ok, i guess that sounded bad. I assure you im not the IRS, im just a
curious student. I would like to hear about some peoples careers
though. So if you want to help me understand whats out there, you could
still tell me but not in such detail. Im curious to know what kind of
money i can make and how i can get there.

I finished high school, went to college, took the LSAT on a whim, went
to law school, went to business school, went to Belgium, came home,
malpracticed commercial real estate for a while, freaked out, moved to
Colorado, burned out, turned in and now I make about three bucks an
hour building things in my basement that are too big to fit up the
stairs. And it's ****ing excellent.

JP
*******************************
Now go do exactly what I did.

DarthDooku

Wow, nice input JP. Sorry about that whole basement thing. I guess
making your three bucks an hour, now you'll have enough money to buy
that HANG"A"R. I guess it would take someone who doesnt know how to
spell hangar, to build something in their basement and not be able to
get it out.

BB
***************************
Now go do something in your basement

Patrick Conroy

"DarthDooku" wrote in
oups.com:

I would like to hear about how some of you started and how your career
evolved. I'd like to know about what jobs youve had and how much money
you made.

The consensus seems to be you can make a very nice living. If you call
somewhere between $0 and $30K a year a nice living.

Darth:

(is that your REAL name, if so, sue G. Lucas),

anyways, suggest you might want to contact your local
woodworker's guilds, clubs, etc. Also, I'd do some upfront
work with prospective cabinetshops. Ask what the going
rate is for entry, how many years experience.

I would approach this as if you asking for a favor but
in complete recognition of their vast knowledge of the business.
In other words, be polite and thank them for their time.

I always enjoy the role of mentor in my own field of
computers.

Also, start subscribing to WorkShop News . It's a newspaper
that's geared for the trade. Will often have stories about
people starting out, or in business and how much they
made/make.

I'd also approach a local trades school, if there is one.
Or in my case there's a local Junior College (yeah, not
a community college but an honest to goodness JC!)
with a cabinet/furnituremaking course. I'd contact
the teacher/professor.

Finally, I look for some government work. I believe there
publications that they put out that tell you how much
a given profession makes or could make. Try your
local friendly library (perhaps the local college one, might
have more of the "career guidance" books).

MJ Wallace