habbi

Default planer problem

I have a new dewalt 13" planer and I am having hard time getting it to feed
reliably. The wood is pine which has been air dried for 2 years. The rubber
feed rollers are getting covered with sawdust/chips and will not feed the
board properly. Every 2 or 3 boards I have to wipe the rollers down with
paint thinner to remove the dust which must have some pitch in it. Is this
normal? How do sawmills feed green wood into their planers? Also the boards
are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

Doug Miller

In article , "habbi" wrote:

I have a new dewalt 13" planer

Which one, specifically?

and I am having hard time getting it to feed
reliably. The wood is pine which has been air dried for 2 years. The rubber
feed rollers are getting covered with sawdust/chips and will not feed the
board properly. Every 2 or 3 boards I have to wipe the rollers down with
paint thinner to remove the dust which must have some pitch in it. Is this
normal?

Normal when planing air-dried pine, yes. Kiln-drying hardens the resins in
pine, and greatly reduces this problem.

How do sawmills feed green wood into their planers?

Sawmills don't plane green wood. They wait til it's dry.

Also the boards
are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this?

It's caused by chips not being extracted from the housing fast enough. Do you
have a dust collector attached to this planer?

--
Regards,

David

habbi wrote:

Also the boards
are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the
planer.

Dave
habbi

The planer has a 4" exit chute and blows a very large amount of air from it.
The factory DC adapter reduces it to 3" and the I have it going back through
10' of 4" flexible hose into a barrel for collection. The top of the barrel
is covered with a fine mesh bag. Actually the hose and mesh bag with
drawstring is from my leaf blower/vacuum mulcher. I guess I must be
restricting the air flow to the point that all dust chips are not being
totally exhausted. The planer came with a chip chute adapter to aim the
chips into a garbage can but they end up everywhere. Short of a DC system
how can I control the chips going into a can without them going everywhere.

"David" wrote in message
habbi wrote:

Also the boards
are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the
planer.

Dave

Duane Bozarth

habbi wrote:

The planer has a 4" exit chute and blows a very large amount of air from it.
The factory DC adapter reduces it to 3" and the I have it going back through
10' of 4" flexible hose into a barrel for collection. The top of the barrel
is covered with a fine mesh bag. Actually the hose and mesh bag with
drawstring is from my leaf blower/vacuum mulcher. I guess I must be
restricting the air flow to the point that all dust chips are not being
totally exhausted. The planer came with a chip chute adapter to aim the
chips into a garbage can but they end up everywhere. Short of a DC system
how can I control the chips going into a can without them going everywhere.

You can't...the 4" exhaust is for hooking up to a DC...w/o that you're
only option is to let 'em blow because it isn't going to blow them into
anything--ain't a gonna' work.
David

"David" wrote in message

habbi wrote:

Also the boards

are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the
planer.

Dave

rather than relying on the blower inside the planer, you'd do better to
hook up a true DC. Something that SUCKS---hard. I presume you have
the $500 DeWALT planer?

Dave
David

"David" wrote in message

habbi wrote:

Also the boards

are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the
planer.

Dave

if there's no outlet for the air, the blower won't be effective because
the air needs somewhere to exhaust to.

Dave
no(SPAM)vasys

habbi wrote:

The planer has a 4" exit chute and blows a very large amount of air from it.
The factory DC adapter reduces it to 3" and the I have it going back through
10' of 4" flexible hose into a barrel for collection. The top of the barrel
is covered with a fine mesh bag. Actually the hose and mesh bag with
drawstring is from my leaf blower/vacuum mulcher. I guess I must be
restricting the air flow to the point that all dust chips are not being
totally exhausted. The planer came with a chip chute adapter to aim the
chips into a garbage can but they end up everywhere. Short of a DC system
how can I control the chips going into a can without them going everywhere.

The planer is designed to be used with some form of dust collection. It
has a 4" port for attachment to a dust collector. The adapter actually
reduces the 4" to 2.25" for use with a shop vac. By attaching a 4" hose
and simply running it into a barrel you are restricting any fir flow
produced by the planer itself. If you don't have any means of duct
collection you would be better off removing the 4" hose and let the
planer try blow the chip without restriction. This is best done
outdoors unless your neighbors are armed.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

habbi

That is the idea of the mesh cover that fits over the barrel, it is
supposed to let the air pass through it and keep the dust in the barrel, but
it must not be letting enough air through. Yes it is the most expensive
dewalt, up here in Canada it was on sale for $635.00.

"David" wrote in message
. ..

"David" wrote in message

habbi wrote:

Also the boards

are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the
planer.

Dave

if there's no outlet for the air, the blower won't be effective because
the air needs somewhere to exhaust to.

Dave

Patriarch

"habbi" wrote in
:

That is the idea of the mesh cover that fits over the barrel, it is
supposed to let the air pass through it and keep the dust in the
barrel, but it must not be letting enough air through. Yes it is the
most expensive dewalt, up here in Canada it was on sale for $635.00.

A DC adequate for your needs will cost you maybe another US$250-$300 at
most. And be useful for most, if not all, of your tools.

One thing leads to another, doesn't it? ;-)

Patriarch
Fred

"habbi" wrote in message
I have a new dewalt 13" planer and I am having hard time getting it to feed
reliably. The wood is pine which has been air dried for 2 years. The
rubber
feed rollers are getting covered with sawdust/chips and will not feed the
board properly. Every 2 or 3 boards I have to wipe the rollers down with
paint thinner to remove the dust which must have some pitch in it. Is this
normal? How do sawmills feed green wood into their planers? Also the
boards
are getting small (1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is
causing this? Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem with my Dealt 12.5" too. Everyone mention you needed
dust collection (and that maybe so) but did you noticed the first few boards
cuts perfectly out of the box without dust collection? The reason is
DeWalt's knives doesn't stay sharp, even for soft wood for too long, and
when you're produce more dust than chips which results in more stress on the
planer, one of the gears will fail - know problem reported on the 13"
planer. Cheap knives and you need to keep it sharp, otherwise its a pretty
good planer from what I understand.

Two things I could think of for the gouges: If the gouges are continuous,
check the knives for nicks. If the gouges appear at the beginning or at the
end of the board, you have snipe. You need to lock the head down and perhaps
lift the board a little at the end to prevent snipe. You could plan boards
way less than 1/4", just use a dummy board below it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"habbi" wrote in message
How many cfm's should you look for in a DC system, I assume it should be
more than the planer puts out of it's own fan.

I'd go with the 1.5 hp models usually rated at about 1000 to 1200 cfm. I ran
my planer once with no Dc. Bought one the next week.

George M. Kazaka

Fred ,
I had that gear break also, Dewalt gave me another, after a little use it
broke also, after waithing to get the gear, I forgot how the chain was
supposed to go, so left the cover off to see if the chain was tracking
properly,
As it was running I noticed that it wobbled, called the Dewalt service
center, explained what was going on as i have now had it over a year.
they told me it was probably a bent drive roller, took it in an dropped it
off and the repaired at no cost,
They told me that they had a problem with the feed rollers in more that one
model, the feed rollers are all the same
Take the little plastc cover off on the side it covers the gear & chain
system and turn the unit on if there is a wobble you will have to problem
seeing it.

By the way this sucker does blow chips into the next city,
I hooked up a hose and put in a board clamped down to a barrel
I don't have any problems not using a DC

Good luck,
George

"Fred" wrote in message

"habbi" wrote in message
[...]

Unquestionably Confused

Patriarch wrote:
"habbi" wrote in
:

[snip]

A DC adequate for your needs will cost you maybe another US$250-$300 at
most. And be useful for most, if not all, of your tools.

One thing leads to another, doesn't it? ;-)

And that's a good thing so long as SWMBO buys into your argumentg

Fred

Good to see you getting it working, George. Do the knives stay sharp after
you fix the problem? I had a lot of problems with feeding when it was new
but I know its those knives. I've made the mistake of storing my DeWalt
planer on the garage floor and it collected a *lot* of rust within a short
time. It was so bad that I couldn't move the cutting head, had to take it
apart and restore it - what a rust magnet! That was my first and last
DeWalt, I've gone to Harbor Freight (hey, it works for me), Bosch, Hitachi,
Panasonic (drill), Skill (mag 77), Porter-Cable, Milwaukee and a few others
since then. The 13" DeWalt planer looks like a pretty good one, much more
solid than my 12.5".

"Fred" wrote in message

"habbi" wrote in message
[...]

Patrick Conroy

"habbi" wrote in
:

How many cfm's should you look for in a DC system, I assume it should
be more than the planer puts out of it's own fan.

It *sounds* like you have the DeWalt DW735 planer? Is that correct?

If so, I've had mine (my DW735) hooked up to a 1HP DC (about 500CFM) and a
1 1/2HP DC (about 900CFM). Both DCs were able to clear the chips.
habbi

Yes it is the 735. Today I tried using about 2.5' of rigid 4" duct work with
a 90 on either end into a 55 gallon barrel with a mesh bag over the top.
Same problem, after 5 or 6 boards the rollers get coated with dust/chips and
the board will not feed, it gets so bad that i have to grab the unit and
push very hard with my waist on the board to get it through. Then I raise
the cutter head, wipe the rollers clean with kerosene on a rag and
everything works perfect for a few more boards. I plan on doing my cabinets
in kiln dried maple, I hope it works better on that. It must be the pine
pitch, the odd board actually has a bit of sticky sap on the ends.

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message
"habbi" wrote in
:

How many cfm's should you look for in a DC system, I assume it should
be more than the planer puts out of it's own fan.

It *sounds* like you have the DeWalt DW735 planer? Is that correct?

If so, I've had mine (my DW735) hooked up to a 1HP DC (about 500CFM) and a
1 1/2HP DC (about 900CFM). Both DCs were able to clear the chips.

George M. Kazaka

Rust is any tools enemy,
Here in AZ we don't get rust.
When i lived in MD we could get rust overight on the table saw etc always
had to keep them coated with something,
I have tool steel all over the place and the only timeI have to deal with
rust is when water hits the steel directly.
As when it rains and the roof leaks. @#$%^*&^ Landord

"Fred" wrote in message

"habbi" wrote in message
[...]

Unquestionably Confused

George M. Kazaka wrote:
Rust is any tools enemy,
Here in AZ we don't get rust.

How difficult is it to shake scorpions out of a Dewalt 735? If you
neglect to, do they stain the wood when the 735 does its thing?g

Fred

"habbi" wrote in message
news
Yes it is the 735. Today I tried using about 2.5' of rigid 4" duct work
with
a 90 on either end into a 55 gallon barrel with a mesh bag over the top.
Same problem, after 5 or 6 boards the rollers get coated with dust/chips
and
the board will not feed, it gets so bad that i have to grab the unit and
push very hard with my waist on the board to get it through. Then I raise
the cutter head, wipe the rollers clean with kerosene on a rag and
everything works perfect for a few more boards. I plan on doing my
cabinets
in kiln dried maple, I hope it works better on that. It must be the pine
pitch, the odd board actually has a bit of sticky sap on the ends.

Try a new set of knives.

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message
"habbi" wrote in
:

How many cfm's should you look for in a DC system, I assume it should
be more than the planer puts out of it's own fan.

It *sounds* like you have the DeWalt DW735 planer? Is that correct?

If so, I've had mine (my DW735) hooked up to a 1HP DC (about 500CFM) and
1 1/2HP DC (about 900CFM). Both DCs were able to clear the chips.

Patriarch

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in
:

As when it rains and the roof leaks. @#$%^*&^ Landord

I've found that a large, bright blue plastic tarp, nailed to the roof and
secured with ropes, is effective at embarrassing the neighbors into
motivating the reluctant landlord. Especially if someone in the
neighborhood is trying to sell their home. ;-)

Patriarch
Charles Spitzer

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. ..
George M. Kazaka wrote:
Rust is any tools enemy,
Here in AZ we don't get rust.

How difficult is it to shake scorpions out of a Dewalt 735? If you
neglect to, do they stain the wood when the 735 does its thing?g

they move surprisingly fast, if given the urge to do so. just make sure you
shake your shoes before putting them on.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

George M. Kazaka

Not A house this is a commercial warehouse,
As well as the love of woodworking, I make sawdust for a living

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"George M. Kazaka" wrote in
:

As when it rains and the roof leaks. @#$%^*&^ Landord

I've found that a large, bright blue plastic tarp, nailed to the roof and
secured with ropes, is effective at embarrassing the neighbors into
motivating the reluctant landlord. Especially if someone in the
neighborhood is trying to sell their home. ;-)

Patriarch

Review - DeWalt 7350 Planer Stand Tom Banes Woodworking 1 July 13th 05 06:47 AM
JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
Problem with room getting too hot from facing the south (even in late October) jeff Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 08:18 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM