DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Post Office mailbox door banks. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/121417-post-office-mailbox-door-banks.html)

Scott Jackson September 19th 05 01:41 AM

Post Office mailbox door banks.

Anyone making any of these out there in woodworking land?? I bought a milk
crate full of the doors at an estate sale and would love to turn them into
something cool. They aren't real old. I think they're marked "1971" or
around there. I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good
pattern. The best one I've seen was made like a safe; sorta' up on small
feet like an older style western bank safe. It was even painted like a
safe.

Frank Campbell September 19th 05 02:10 AM

In article , Scott Jackson
wrote:

Anyone making any of these out there in woodworking land?? I bought a milk
crate full of the doors at an estate sale and would love to turn them into
something cool. They aren't real old. I think they're marked "1971" or
around there. I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good
pattern. The best one I've seen was made like a safe; sorta' up on small
feet like an older style western bank safe. It was even painted like a
safe.

Rockler has free plans for a mail truck that uses them:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product..._id=10406&sid=
AF078

--
http://sawdustmaking.com

Lee Gordon September 19th 05 04:44 AM

I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good
pattern.

See if you can find a copy of the first issue of Woodcraft Magazine. That
was their very first project, the one featured on the cover.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

A.J. Hamler September 19th 05 12:54 PM

Scott Jackson wrote:
Anyone making any of these out there in woodworking land?? I bought a milk
crate full of the doors at an estate sale and would love to turn them into
something cool. They aren't real old. I think they're marked "1971" or
around there. I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good
pattern. The best one I've seen was made like a safe; sorta' up on small
feet like an older style western bank safe. It was even painted like a
safe.

Hi Scott...

It's your lucky day. As Lee pointed out, making these banks was the
cover story of our first issue. The entire article is posted he

http://woodcraftmagazine.com/articles/

Once on the above page, scroll down. The P.O. Box Bank project is the
4th article from the bottom of the list.

If you do make one, send me a hi-res photo, and if the photo's good
enough for print, I'll put it in the "Show Off" gallery section of the
magazine.

A.J.