PGH13

Default Need a few square head woodscrews

I'm in UK and looking for about 12 off No.6 or No.8 woodscrews 3/4 in
or 1in long in a black finish to hold the hinges on an old looking
piece of furniture. Can anyone suggest a supplier (or more suitable
group in which to ask)?

TIA - Peter

I got some at Lee Valley---www.leevalley.com--they're called pyramid
head screws and Rockler carries them too. What I really wanted was
black, square- head screws with no slot (which would make them bolts, I
guess, but in small sizes)...I wasn't able to find them anywhere. All
the escutcheons on my house's interior doors are attached with them,
but the house was built in the 1920s.

Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

I got some at Lee Valley---www.leevalley.com--they're called pyramid
head screws and Rockler carries them too. What I really wanted was
black, square- head screws with no slot (which would make them bolts, I
guess, but in small sizes)...I wasn't able to find them anywhere. All
the escutcheons on my house's interior doors are attached with them,
but the house was built in the 1920s.

Someone specializing in house restoration would probably be best chance
for more in the future. A lot of that kind of thing is salvaged and
resold but it tends to be pricey. A few folks make reproductions as
well. Being in the US I don't know where to point you in UK
specifically.
Robatoy

In article .com,
"PGH13" wrote:

I'm in UK and looking for about 12 off No.6 or No.8 woodscrews 3/4 in
or 1in long in a black finish to hold the hinges on an old looking
piece of furniture. Can anyone suggest a supplier (or more suitable
group in which to ask)?

TIA - Peter

Try http://www.mcfeelys.com/
They're great people with fabulous products.

They might mail out such a small order.

Can't hurt to ask.

hey larry--you're right...but aren't lag screws sometimes called lag
bolts, even though they don't thread into nuts?...by the way, you
didn't grow up in Bethesda, did you--specifically Bannockburn?

jimbo

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"PGH13" wrote:

I'm in UK and looking for about 12 off No.6 or No.8 woodscrews 3/4 in
or 1in long in a black finish to hold the hinges on an old looking
piece of furniture. Can anyone suggest a supplier (or more suitable
group in which to ask)?

TIA - Peter

Try http://www.mcfeelys.com/
They're great people with fabulous products.

They might mail out such a small order.

Can't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the kind words, and indeed, we would ship them out - if we
stocked them. Alas, we don't, and a quick check of our suppliers offers no
help either.

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

Roy

US source, but this is the type of place you're looking for...restoration company. I couldn't get
the page to come up just now, but I would be surprised if they did not handle what you need. Must
be someplace similar on your side of the pond.

http://www.vandykes.com/

On 12 Sep 2005 05:39:29 -0700, "PGH13" wrote:

I'm in UK and looking for about 12 off No.6 or No.8 woodscrews 3/4 in
or 1in long in a black finish to hold the hinges on an old looking
piece of furniture. Can anyone suggest a supplier (or more suitable
group in which to ask)?

TIA - Peter

PGH13

I think they would be correctly called coach screws, but these usually
come with a hex head and start at arund 6mm, which is too big

Bench Top Drill Press That Can Swing Drill Head Jay Chan Woodworking 8 April 4th 04 10:17 PM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Source for BSF cup square coach bolts? Michael Kilpatrick UK diy 0 November 21st 03 05:58 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Hip to be square mttt Woodworking 13 October 6th 03 09:38 PM