chester

Default panasonic 15.6V drill

I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has
any experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the
15.6V and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the
idea of lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my
needs, but occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires,
e.g.) or 3/4" plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi
12V inadequte for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that
one). Will the 15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in
anyone's experience?
thx
BillyBob

"chester" wrote in message
I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has
any experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the
15.6V and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the
idea of lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my
needs, but occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires,
e.g.) or 3/4" plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi
12V inadequte for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that
one). Will the 15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in
anyone's experience?

Launching on your key word "occasionally", you might want to consider the
advantage of lighter/smaller augmented with a separate corded drill. Not
only will the corded drill have gobs of power, but it will turn much, much
faster for making clean holes for things like dowels and pocket holes. A
good corded drill can be purchased for about $60. I have a couple of
swinging overhead power outlets in my shop and using corded tools is not
half bad with that setup.

Bob

Andy

I haven't used the panasonic 15.6, but I'm sure it could go through
studs or 3/4 plywood. I have a 16.8V Craftsman, which I'd bet isn't as
good as the Panasonic. I've used a 1.5" spade bit through two layers
of 3/4 ply, with no problems. From everything I've read and heard,
today's cordless drills (even 12V and 14.4) are sufficient for just
about anything except the heaviest drilling.
Sorry for the lack of first-hand experience with the tool you mention,
but I've seen it rated very highly in a few separate review articles,
and I agree the benefits of light weight and better maneuverability
would outweigh the occasional benefit of slightly higher torque.
Good luck,
Andy

Robatoy

In article et,
"BillyBob" wrote:

"chester" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with you on that, BillyBob. I use a fair bit of corded drills.. in
fact, whenever I can...certainly around the shop. There is no substitute
for the raw power and rpm.
I use cordless tools for all the obvious reasons, but never 'just
because I can'.
I was visiting a friend's production shop the other day, and he HAD to
use his new DeWaltDisney cordless circular saw to do a blind cut.
I cannot imagine ever doing any serious work with one of those.
Cords are fine by me..it's not as if by using them you follow them into
the nearest bordello or anything like that.
I think that there is way too much emphasis on the cordless concept.
I mean.. a cordless sawz-all? Cool tool if you're a burglar.
Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:27:12 -0400, Robatoy
scribbled:

I think that there is way too much emphasis on the cordless concept.
I mean.. a cordless sawz-all? Cool tool if you're a burglar.

Incredibly useful in field dressing moose and other large gentle
innocent forest creatures you happen to murder. Take at least two
batteries along. DAMHIKT.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Robatoy

In article ,
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Incredibly useful in field dressing moose and other large gentle
innocent forest creatures you happen to murder. Take at least two
batteries along. DAMHIKT.

*slaps self on forehead*

....now why on earth didn't I think of that?
sadler

I won't enter the fray about cordless tool in the shop, because I'm an
electrician, and use many corless tools everyday. I've been using the
Dewalt 18 volt system, drills, hammerdrill, sawzall, wood circular
saw, metal cutting circular saw, flashlight for a few years. After
repair & replacement of tools and batteries, I'm now trying the 15.6
volt Panasonic. A few professional carpenters I know have been
swearing by their Panasonics for years. I just got a metal cutting
circular saw & drill/driver combo last week, and hope to start using
them later this week. The drill seems pretty strong, but I'll let you
know off list my review if interested.

jo4hn

chester wrote:
I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has
any experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the
15.6V and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the
idea of lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my
needs, but occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires,
e.g.) or 3/4" plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi
12V inadequte for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that
one). Will the 15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in
anyone's experience?
thx

I've had the 15.6V for several years. It is the only cordless that I
have (excepting a flashlight and radio). Great tool. I use it for
general shop use and for jobsite use. If I am going to drill a bunch of
holes for something like shelf supports, I will get out the corded
Craftsman. A great tool.
mahalo,
jo4hn
george

I just got a 15.6V Panasonic and tried a test on a couple of 2 x 4 scraps in
the basement...it CAN
shear the top off a 10 x 3 SS wood screw. (I think it is 303 SS, not 316
SS.) Do you need more torque
than that?

George

"chester" wrote in message
I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has any
experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the 15.6V
and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the idea of
lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my needs, but
occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires, e.g.) or 3/4"
plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi 12V inadequte
for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that one). Will the
15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in anyone's experience?
thx

Leon

"chester" wrote in message
I am about to buy this cordliss drill, but was wondering if anyone has any
experience/opinions on how much of a difference there is between the 15.6V
and an 18V (panasonic has an 18V for ~$40 more, but I like the idea of
lighter/smaller). I know the 15.6 volt will serve most of my needs, but
occasionally I want to drill though studs (for running wires, e.g.) or 3/4"
plywood, treated lumber, etc., and have found my old Ryobi 12V inadequte
for such tasks (well, the batteries are pretty old in that one). Will the
15.6V have the torque to accomplish such tasks, in anyone's experience?
thx

9.6 volt will do what you are asking. IMHO get the smaller voltage drill to
save weight and spend the extra 40 on a cheap corded drill for the odd jobs.