Lawrence Hughes

Default Cherry and Mahogany

I have solid cherry interior doors, with traditional cherry stain,
throughout my home. I want to install a swinging terrace door leading out
to my terrace. The manufacturer, Loewen, offers such doors in either
douglas fir or mahogany. Would the mahogany terrace door best complement my
cherry interior doors? Should I use a cherry stain on the mahogany door,
some other stain, or leave it natural? All advice is welcome.
C & S

Lawrence,

Thats a bit of a chocolate and vanilla question, But I'll tell you what
*not* to do. Don't become invested in the idea that you can make tha
mahogany perfectly match the cherry. Color matching is a very fussy trial an
error process. Even then, the grain pattern of mahogany doesn't look like
that of cherry. Since you don't have scrap with which to experiment, I
would go for something different enough that it doesn't look like a poor
attempt matching.

Let it be its own thing.

-Steve

"Lawrence Hughes" wrote in message
I have solid cherry interior doors, with traditional cherry stain,
throughout my home. I want to install a swinging terrace door leading out
to my terrace. The manufacturer, Loewen, offers such doors in either
douglas fir or mahogany. Would the mahogany terrace door best complement

my
cherry interior doors? Should I use a cherry stain on the mahogany door,
some other stain, or leave it natural? All advice is welcome.

Edwin Pawlowski

"C & S" wrote in message
Thats a bit of a chocolate and vanilla question, But I'll tell you what
*not* to do. Don't become invested in the idea that you can make tha
mahogany perfectly match the cherry. Color matching is a very fussy trial
an
error process. Even then, the grain pattern of mahogany doesn't look like
that of cherry.

Even if you get a perfect match today, it will not be so perfect in 6
months, even less so in 12.

Gary A in KC

My entire house is trimmed out in cherry (doors, cabinetry, trim, etc). Over
the years I've added some mahogany pieces here and there. Built an entire
wall entertainment system out of mahogany.
While it's definitely not a match, unstained mahogany will, over time,
develop the same color tones of cherry. I like the subtle (and some not so
subtle) contrasts between the different types of woods around my house. My
advice is not to worry about the match and just enjoy the woods and the
unique characteristics of each. To my eye, natural mahogany and cherry are
nice together.

Gary in KC

"Lawrence Hughes" wrote in message
I have solid cherry interior doors, with traditional cherry stain,
throughout my home. I want to install a swinging terrace door leading out
to my terrace. The manufacturer, Loewen, offers such doors in either
douglas fir or mahogany. Would the mahogany terrace door best complement

my
cherry interior doors? Should I use a cherry stain on the mahogany door,
some other stain, or leave it natural? All advice is welcome.

Tyke

If the mahogany is dark, which is typical, then I do not think you will be
happy with what I would expect to be a miss-match since you will not be able
to stain it "lighter". My cherry is light orange and is deepening over
time, but I could not imagine getting mahogany to look even close.

If you go with mahogany, I would leave it natural. With an oil based
uerthane it will be darker than cherry, but attractive in its own way.

Dave Paine.

I think D.Fir would be a better wood to attempt to get a cherry stain.

Cost of Cherry Jerry Woodworking 57 February 21st 05 06:28 PM
Color variation with Honduran Mahogany Lars Stole Woodworking 7 January 24th 05 05:14 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 011 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 3rd 04 06:48 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 009 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 May 9th 04 09:42 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 008 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 27th 04 04:07 PM