Junior Member

Question Wood Chisel Quality AND INFORMATION

Have found excellent info. on this forum about chisels. Have worked w/various brands of chisels (Mostly Cheap) and have been frustrated w/quality and frequency of sharpening needed. Was going to look for a set of quality chisels and mentioned it to a deceased friend's widow and she gave me a set of his. They have hardly been used and I have been unable to find info. on them.
On the handle they have a paper label which contains the following. BRACHT, in a triangle, w/ the words CARANITE, VANADIUM, AND WOLFRAM on the sides of the triangle. On the Blade it has: Wo-Va,
BRACHT(IN TRIANGLE), and #
26
Would appreciate any info as to: value, quality, origin, and care of them.
Thanks for any answers to my questions
Todd Fatheree

--
thumbs

IIRC, "Wolfram" is in common usage in Germany and is the same as tungsten
(which is why "W" is the symbol for tungsten on the periodic table). I'm
guessing that Bracht is/was a German company that manufactured chisels. No
idea what caranite is, but apparently the steel is alloyed with tungsten and
vanadium. Vanadium improves toughness and ductility in steel, while
tungsten adds hardness and wear resistance.

todd

George

"thumbs" wrote in message

Have found excellent info. on this forum about chisels. Have worked
w/various brands of chisels (Mostly Cheap) and have been frustrated
w/quality and frequency of sharpening needed. Was going to look for a
set of quality chisels and mentioned it to a deceased friend's widow
and she gave me a set of his. They have hardly been used and I have
been unable to find info. on them.
On the handle they have a paper label which contains the following.
BRACHT, in a triangle, w/ the words CARANITE, VANADIUM, AND WOLFRAM on
the sides of the triangle. On the Blade it has: Wo-Va,
BRACHT(IN
TRIANGLE), and #

26
Would appreciate any info as to: value, quality, origin, and care of
them.
Thanks for any answers to my questions

Origin is Germany, as you can tell. One seller was Leichtung, now absorbed
into Woodworkers' supply. They cost about eighty dollars for a set of six
twenty years ago, and have been doing all but the roughest work (that's what
Millers Falls is for) at my house. Keep them sharp and clear of rust.

Bamboo Floors - Quality of Products Shaprock Home Repair 6 June 4th 05 02:54 AM
First wood lathe Rick Cox Woodturning 1 November 27th 04 02:25 AM
Band saws for wood and metal [email protected] Metalworking 15 January 26th 04 09:38 PM
Finishing question - pin holes in second coat Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 November 23rd 03 03:43 PM