Patrick Fischer

Default Wood Store CLOSED - Bummer.

NW Woodworkers on Center Street in Tacoma (WA) closed their doors. I was
just there last Saturday and nothing was said, or maybe I just wasn't paying
attention. Today, doors closed and windows shuttered. Where do I go now?
Anyone from this part of the country that knows of a place reasonably close?

Thanks,

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

Patrick Fischer

They sold a few chisels, turning supplies and some stain but mostly you
could get just about any wood species you wanted. Mostly rough cut and
anything from shorts to long wide boards. Old guy ran it with help from, I
think a granddaughter and a couple hired hands. They also did some custom
milling work as well. I bought a couple hickory boards that are now a sofa
back table. A year or so he had a boatload of 5/4 purple heart shorts
(12"-18") that came from a warehouse floor in South America somewhere. Last
week I bought some 4'x2"x2" Walnut that was to be a new coffee table. Alas I
didn't buy enough..

Alternatives?

Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA
"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've never been to NW Woodworkers. What kind of store was it? More
specifically, what are you looking for. I'm in Auburn so do know the area.

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
NW Woodworkers on Center Street in Tacoma (WA) closed their doors. I was
just there last Saturday and nothing was said, or maybe I just wasn't

paying
attention. Today, doors closed and windows shuttered. Where do I go now?
Anyone from this part of the country that knows of a place reasonably

close?

Thanks,

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

CW

Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle. Great selection and reasonable prices. 4100
first Ave SO, Seattle. Probably need to catch a ferry. It's a good ways
around the water (near 60 miles according to maps.com). I think you'll find
it worth the trip though.

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
They sold a few chisels, turning supplies and some stain but mostly you
could get just about any wood species you wanted. Mostly rough cut and
anything from shorts to long wide boards. Old guy ran it with help from, I
think a granddaughter and a couple hired hands. They also did some custom
milling work as well. I bought a couple hickory boards that are now a sofa
back table. A year or so he had a boatload of 5/4 purple heart shorts
(12"-18") that came from a warehouse floor in South America somewhere.

Last
week I bought some 4'x2"x2" Walnut that was to be a new coffee table. Alas

didn't buy enough..

Alternatives?

Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA
"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've never been to NW Woodworkers. What kind of store was it? More
specifically, what are you looking for. I'm in Auburn so do know the

area.

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
NW Woodworkers on Center Street in Tacoma (WA) closed their doors. I

was
just there last Saturday and nothing was said, or maybe I just wasn't

paying
attention. Today, doors closed and windows shuttered. Where do I go

now?
Anyone from this part of the country that knows of a place reasonably

close?

Thanks,

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

C & M

"I feel your pain". When Woodworkers Supply went out of business it meant
the closing of the only WW specialty store of any kind within an hour's
drive. Yea, catalogs are great but getting your paws on stuff and being
able to ask questions is worth it. Oh well, at least Woodcraft is right
beside Harbor Freight.
"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
NW Woodworkers on Center Street in Tacoma (WA) closed their doors. I was
just there last Saturday and nothing was said, or maybe I just wasn't

paying
attention. Today, doors closed and windows shuttered. Where do I go now?
Anyone from this part of the country that knows of a place reasonably

close?

Thanks,

Pat Fischer
Olalla, WA

Ralph E Lindberg

In article et,
"CW" wrote:

Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle. Great selection and reasonable prices. 4100
first Ave SO, Seattle. Probably need to catch a ferry. It's a good ways
around the water (near 60 miles according to maps.com). I think you'll find
it worth the trip though.

From Olalla I'm not certain I would take the ferry.

Of course the other alternative is a trip to Port Townsend and
EdenSaw. My experience is that EdenSaw is more expensive then Cross Cut,
but they also stock a wider variety of woods.

When the lumber store that is now in Belfair, was in Silverdale, they
stocked some hardwoods, but boy did they want those pieces more then I
did.

Lastly, for turning stock I buy (via eBay) from a fellow in Suquamish,
which is even closer).

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

### micro-FAQ on wood # 037 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 April 29th 05 07:50 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 034 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 March 20th 05 02:47 PM
Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 06:30 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 023 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 November 1st 04 08:35 AM