Pat Barber

Default A new life for a Craftsman sander

That's quite a subject line, huh ???

During the recent heat,humidity and generally miserable time
of the year here in North Carolina, I was faced with the very
nasty task of cleaning my table saw top(s). I am fairly anal
about this job but I still hate the process cause it's so damn
messy.

My standard method is

(a) WD-40 sprayed on and set for a few minutes
(b) Scrub my ass off with a hold down pad and 3M pads
(c) wipe off
(d) goto step (a)

and repeat this process until the top looks nice and clean.

I have used my ROS on occasion and it is MUCH faster, but it slings
that nasty black WD-40 all over me and the rest of the shop.

While in a "clean up" mode last weekend, I came across an older
"jitter bug" Craftsman sander. It's noisy, shakes like crazy and
is generally a real POS.

I got to wondering how it would work with the 3M pads and the WD-40.

Soooooo... I hosed down the table top with WD-40, cut a piece of
3M pad to fit the square base of the sander and had at it.

Because this sander moves "back and forth", there was NO slinging
nasty WD-40 and it really works like a champ on the table saw.

Sooooo.. now you got somthing to use that sander for that your
wife/mother/daughter/son bought you ten years ago and you were
ashamed to throw it away...

Buddy Matlosz

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
That's quite a subject line, huh ???

During the recent heat,humidity and generally miserable time
of the year here in North Carolina, I was faced with the very
nasty task of cleaning my table saw top(s). I am fairly anal
about this job but I still hate the process cause it's so damn
messy.

My standard method is

(a) WD-40 sprayed on and set for a few minutes
(b) Scrub my ass off with a hold down pad and 3M pads

It would be much more efficient if you didn't combine shop cleaning with
personal hygiene.

B.

Pat Barber

I think "decades" is a very long time between cleaning.

I can get by with "about" four cleaning a year and more
often during rainy weather.

My shop is neither heated or cooled, so maybe that's how you
get by with cleaning your tops every decade or so ???