toller

Default Putting painted wood through the planner?

A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

Duane Bozarth

toller wrote:

A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

If you're talking about a portable planer, just be prepared to buy a (or
more) new set(s) of knives. Although how bad it will be depends some of
what the paint is and how much...if it's 1/4" of built-up oil based from
80 years of repeated painting, that's one thing. If it's a single coat
of latex, that's something else again entirely.

I've run a fair amount of old material through a planer, but I have one
of the old cast iron industrial-type planers w/ heavier knives. It
dulls them up pretty bad but I keep a set of old knives specifically for
such purposess. These knives are regrindable, however, not disposable
and significantly heavier than those for the new small portable planers.
Bill Waller

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:17:25 GMT, "toller" wrote:

A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

I have run a couple hundred feet of stained and varnished cherry through my
planer without any ill effects. I know that I have also run some painted stuff
through it as well and it is still chugging right along.

I do clean it well after each use, whether it is finished or raw wood.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Knothead

I have successfully done this many times, I dismanteled an entire barn made
of 6/4 walnut with a friend and have been recycling that wood for a few
years now. I keep my old portable planer around for running junk wood. Duane
is right your going to go through plenty of knives. Fortunately for me I can
resharpen my own knives so it's just a matter of time. There are a few
points to regard.

The following are in the 'nuff said catagory
1. Lumber wizard
2. Lead paint

I take a 9" automotive grinder with 50 grit and try to knock off as much
loose paint as possible. For me the best life I get out of the knives is
taking the deepest cut the planer will handle on the first pass. If you are
cutting wood and not paint it goes pretty well. the comment about 1/4" of
old oil base is true it'sll slow down the process and eat your edges...

Knothead

dadiOH

toller wrote:
A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice
6/4 oak scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I
know I can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the
planner?

Last time I looked, paint is softer than just about any wood. Worst
that could happen is for the paint to soften (from heat) and stick to
knife sides. Easily cleaned off.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

toller

It is from a 22 yo house, so I figure it was probably painted twice with
latex.

It is a light portable planer, but the blades are nearing the end of their
life anyhow.

Thanks for the advice.

RonB

Don't forget to look for nails or nail heads!

RonB

Duane Bozarth

dadiOH wrote:

toller wrote:
A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice
6/4 oak scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I
know I can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the
planner?

Last time I looked, paint is softer than just about any wood. Worst
that could happen is for the paint to soften (from heat) and stick to
knife sides. Easily cleaned off.

Not old oil based paint. Plus it's very abrasive, almost like the glue
in plywood.

The suggestion to use a right angle grinder w/ coarse grit first is a
good one to increase planer knife longevity at the expense of time.
Mike in Mystic

why not use a belt sander with 40 grit? You could take off the paint on any
given board in a couple minutes. You'd still have the flat underside
(presumeably unpainted) to use as the flat side in the planer, to true up
the belt sanded side.

"toller" wrote in message
A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4

oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

dadiOH

Duane Bozarth wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

toller wrote:

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I
know I can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the
planner?

Last time I looked, paint is softer than just about any wood. Worst
that could happen is for the paint to soften (from heat) and stick to
knife sides. Easily cleaned off.

Not old oil based paint. Plus it's very abrasive, almost like the
glue in plywood.

You're kidding, right?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Lew Hodgett

toller wrote:
A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

Yes, if you want to screw up your planer blades.

I'd sand it first which not only gets rid of the paint but also exposes
any nails or other metal you might have missed.

If you are going to use the wood in small batches, use a belt sander
with 24 or 36 grit paper.

If you need a lot at one time, find a commercial drum sander for the job.

Lew
Stephen M

He's not. I killed a set of planer blades with one modest board covered in
very old paint .

I only put reclaimed wood through a planer as a very last resort.

-Steve

Not old oil based paint. Plus it's very abrasive, almost like the
glue in plywood.

You're kidding, right?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Duane Bozarth

dadiOH wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

toller wrote:

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I
know I can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the
planner?

Last time I looked, paint is softer than just about any wood. Worst
that could happen is for the paint to soften (from heat) and stick to
knife sides. Easily cleaned off.

Not old oil based paint. Plus it's very abrasive, almost like the
glue in plywood.

You're kidding, right?

Not hardly (so to speak)...

I'll give you some of the old barn siding and let you run it through
your planer and judge if you want to come by and get it...
Robatoy

In article ,
"toller" wrote:

A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

Maybe convert the planer to 220 volt?

G,D & R

I tried to run a piece of painted recycled old growth redwood through
my 22-560 planer and it ruined the knives in a few passes. I thought
it was just my old blades. Repeated this 6 months later and the same
thing happened. No more paint for me, especially on my powermatic 20"
planer. Although paint may not be hard, the pigment could be very
hard. I think they use titanium dioxide in white paint (the color or
the board I was doing) which is pretty hard stuff. The other day I
took my 3x21 belt sander with 36 grit on another part of this plank and
took off the paint before sanding more with the drum sander. Be
careful of imbedded abrasive if planing after sanding.
jaime
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"toller" wrote:

A neighbor is replacing their staircase and there is a bunch of nice 6/4 oak
scrap in front of their house; but it is all painted.

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner? Okay, I know I
can, but can I do it without causing excessive wear to the planner?

If I have to use paint stripper, it probably isn't worth it.

Maybe convert the planer to 220 volt?

G,D & R

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:17:25 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Can I remove the paint by running it through the planner?

You'll remove timber too, especially if it's less than flat. I happily
plane painted timber if I want to thickness and flatten it, but I don't
expect a thickness planer to be a paint stripper.

Check for hidden nail heads under the paint.

I'd also wash it clean first. Gritty dust and dirt wears your planer
knives faster than paint does. If it's moderately sealed against
moisture so that you can easily wash it down, then I'd take the
opportunity.

Just a note of caution: nails and other hard little metallic things
hide really well under a coat of paint, so beware...also, very fine
dust from whatever has been applied over the years will be floating
through the air in copious quantities, so wear a good mask...

Joe Mama

Paints contain metals and other minerals that are dangerous to
inhale. For instance Titanium dioxide is found in nearly every modern
paint and has been know to kill people if inhaled in sufficient quantity.
Wear a dust mask and expect to dull your knives. Clean your machine
after the work.
I've done this many times. Always trashes the blades.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:35:03 GMT, Joe Mama
wrote:

For instance Titanium dioxide is found in nearly every modern
paint and has been know to kill people if inhaled in sufficient quantity.

Got a reference for that?

_water_ will kill you in sufficient quantities, but TiO2 is an inert as
you could wish and certainly doesn't count as a special hazard,
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:39:58 -0400, 10x wrote:

Not the greatest stuff to play with, but not as lethal as the OP
suggests.

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2878.html

A perfect example of why MSDS are frequently meaningless.

"Fire Extinguisher Type: Any means suitable for extinguishing
surrounding fire"

A fire? In TiO2 ? What's the atmosphere on their planet ?

"Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation."

Bull****. It's not harmful, it won't cause irritation. Of all the
world's powdered rocks, this is just about one of the dullest and most
boring. It's a dust inhalation hazard solely because it comes in
particles smaller than a nostril.

TiO2 is less harmful than a McD's burger.

K. Jones

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:39:58 -0400, 10x wrote:

Not the greatest stuff to play with, but not as lethal as the OP
suggests.

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2878.html

A perfect example of why MSDS are frequently meaningless.

"Fire Extinguisher Type: Any means suitable for extinguishing
surrounding fire"

A fire? In TiO2 ? What's the atmosphere on their planet ?

Well, since it's used in pyrotechnics and rocket fuels......

K. Jones