Default Inconsistent Shellac Results on Maple

I am building a closet using Maple. I am new to woodworking and this is
my first project using Shellac. The color of the finished wood has come
out excellently (a dark yellow color). However on the last piece I am
making (a laundry bin) in one of the units, the cover (20" x 28") of
edge glued Maple - came out much lighter (pale yellow almost brown) ...
odd and ugly than the rest. I do not want to spend the time stripping
if it is the wood and/or buying and edge gluing etc... the wood if I
can finish it in some way. Has anyone had similar experiences

I have not stained the wood just sealed the Maple with Shellac. I did
however 1st use a wood conditioner on the Maple hardwood as I found
this ensured the color I received on the Maple was the same as the
color on the Maple plywood after applying the Shellac finish. The
shellac is Super Blonde Shellac from "Lee Valley" which was not cheap.
This is the flakes which I diluted with alcohol.

Tim Douglass

On 4 Aug 2005 09:06:46 -0700, "
wrote:

I am building a closet using Maple. I am new to woodworking and this is
my first project using Shellac. The color of the finished wood has come
out excellently (a dark yellow color). However on the last piece I am
making (a laundry bin) in one of the units, the cover (20" x 28") of
edge glued Maple - came out much lighter (pale yellow almost brown) ...
odd and ugly than the rest. I do not want to spend the time stripping
if it is the wood and/or buying and edge gluing etc... the wood if I
can finish it in some way. Has anyone had similar experiences

It sounds to me a bit like you may have a different variety of maple
for that piece. Is there any possibility that you got soft maple for
that and hard maple for the rest?

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Patriarch

Tim Douglass wrote in
:

On 4 Aug 2005 09:06:46 -0700, "
wrote:

I am building a closet using Maple. I am new to woodworking and this
is my first project using Shellac. The color of the finished wood has
come out excellently (a dark yellow color). However on the last piece
I am making (a laundry bin) in one of the units, the cover (20" x 28")
of edge glued Maple - came out much lighter (pale yellow almost brown)
... odd and ugly than the rest. I do not want to spend the time
stripping if it is the wood and/or buying and edge gluing etc... the
wood if I can finish it in some way. Has anyone had similar
experiences

It sounds to me a bit like you may have a different variety of maple
for that piece. Is there any possibility that you got soft maple for
that and hard maple for the rest?

I think Tim may be on to something here. There are dozens of varieties of
maples in commercial production in North America, and they all behave
slightly differently. I'm doing a bathroom vanity, and, to make certain
that the colors match, all the drawer fronts are cut from the same board.
And I got one big, honking plank of rough 12/4 to do a pair of chairs, so I
have a better chance of matching color & grain.

BTW, what's with the 'wood conditioner' on maple? Shouldn't be needed with
shellac, in my (OK, not completely exhaustive) experience.

Patriarch

BTW, what's with the 'wood conditioner' on maple? Shouldn't be needed with
shellac, in my (OK, not completely exhaustive) experience.

Patriarch

Before I chose a finish (as I am new to this), I tested a few different
stains (did not like the color on maple) and finishes (oil, water based
and shellac). I put them on a piece of Maple and Maple hardwood to make
sure the color was the same. What I found when I just used the sealants
(which I felt looked really good on Maple) is that that the color on
the plywood was slightly darker - which for obvious erasons I did not
want to happen. If I put conditioner on the maple before I sealed it,
the color came out slightly darker and matched the plywood really well.

Thanks for the feedback on the wood. Makes sense - purchased the last
piece from a different source. !@#$$%!@#!. Doing this occasionally at
night for a little time - getting the piece ready to install took a
while.

Larry Jaques

On 4 Aug 2005 12:18:54 -0700, the opaque "
clearly wrote:

BTW, what's with the 'wood conditioner' on maple? Shouldn't be needed with
shellac, in my (OK, not completely exhaustive) experience.

Patriarch

Before I chose a finish (as I am new to this), I tested a few different
stains (did not like the color on maple) and finishes (oil, water based
and shellac). I put them on a piece of Maple and Maple hardwood to make
sure the color was the same. What I found when I just used the sealants
(which I felt looked really good on Maple) is that that the color on
the plywood was slightly darker - which for obvious erasons I did not
want to happen. If I put conditioner on the maple before I sealed it,
the color came out slightly darker and matched the plywood really well.

Why does everybody and their brother think that perfectly good
wood has to be discolored (stained)? sigh

Thanks for the feedback on the wood. Makes sense - purchased the last
piece from a different source. !@#$$%!@#!. Doing this occasionally at
night for a little time - getting the piece ready to install took a
while.

You'll also find that plywood and solid woods look slightly different.
Allow the slight differences between boards to become a feature in
your furniture rather than a detraction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --

Norman D. Crow

clearly wrote:

BTW, what's with the 'wood conditioner' on maple? Shouldn't be needed
with
shellac, in my (OK, not completely exhaustive) experience.

Patriarch

Before I chose a finish (as I am new to this), I tested a few different
stains (did not like the color on maple) and finishes (oil, water based
and shellac). I put them on a piece of Maple and Maple hardwood to make
sure the color was the same. What I found when I just used the sealants
(which I felt looked really good on Maple) is that that the color on
the plywood was slightly darker - which for obvious erasons I did not
want to happen. If I put conditioner on the maple before I sealed it,
the color came out slightly darker and matched the plywood really well.

Why does everybody and their brother think that perfectly good
wood has to be discolored (stained)? sigh

RBS, C-less?

--
Nahmie

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:28:05 -0400, the opaque "Norman D. Crow"
clearly wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Why does everybody and their brother think that perfectly good
wood has to be discolored (stained)? sigh

RBS, C-less?

Ayup, the dreaded Reddish Brown ****, Nahmie.
As always, the question is

W H Y ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
WillR

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:28:05 -0400, the opaque "Norman D. Crow"
clearly wrote:
=20
=20
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message=20

=20
=20
Why does everybody and their brother think that perfectly good
wood has to be discolored (stained)? sigh

RBS, C-less?

=20
=20
Ayup, the dreaded Reddish Brown ****, Nahmie.=20
As always, the question is
=20
W H Y ?
=20
=20

W H Y N O T ?

=20
=20
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:28:37 -0400, the opaque WillR
clearly wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Ayup, the dreaded Reddish Brown ****, Nahmie.
As always, the question is

W H Y ?

W H Y N O T ?

Because it's usually BUTT FUGLY.

Because it takes more time to apply.

Because it invariably goes on unevenly.

Because it costs more in the long run.

Because it takes more of your time to accomplish (poorly.)

Because it never looks like the real wood after
all that hassle and frustration.

Because some people have a little bit of TASTE.

Izzat enough for you?

Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description.
----
http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business!