DIYGUY

Default Mind boggling and a small gloat

Just returned from a great vacation and have to say I was overwhelmed by
two sights along the way. While traveling home along Route 65 in
Arkansas in the middle of just about nowhere (Botkinburg) I came across
the most amazing antique store I have ever seen. It was 10 warehouses
full of furniture, mostly all from Western Europe. The pieces ranged
the entire gamut of design and periods. From a WWers perspective it was
stunning. They had room after room, row after row of everything
imaginable, beds, desks, tables, dressers, you name it they had it.
Some of it was absolutely colossal in scale - like a sideboard that was
at least 12' long by 5' high that must have weighed 1000 lbs. The
marquetry, carving, turning, inlays, veneering, matched grains, burls,
joints, even the mistakes on display were all equally mind boggling to
take in. They also had china, lamps, clocks and two barns that were
chock-a-block full of art glass windows and doors. And the prices were
almost as amazing and I don't mean cheap. What was mystifying to me was
why they were located in the middle of what seemed to be an otherwise
plain looking, decidedly un-affluent appearing part of the state. This
place is not to be missed if you ever come within 100 miles of Botkinburg.

The second sight which was equally stunning from almost anyones' view
was seeing the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. We only had a few
hours and could not even begin to see enough. But the craftsmanship and
the skill on display in so many things from masonry to ww'ing to the
fine arts was just unimaginable. And to think this was a family home!

Now for the gloat! I picked up a Type I Stanley G5 in a small antique
store in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for $25. And it is in GREAT
condition. All I need to do is sharpen the blade. What a trip - life
is good ...
Mike in Arkansas

Just in case anyone is confused about where Botkinburg, Arkansas is,
well it's just up the road apiece from Old Botkinburg.
Know what you mean about Biltmore. As a bonus when I was there a few
years ago they had Armand Hammers collection of Fabrege(sp) Easter Eggs
on display on the top floor. In glass cases of course but you could
walk right up to them and get your face within a couple of inches. Was
tempted to grab one and run.

Kevin Craig

In article . com, Mike
in Arkansas wrote:

Just in case anyone is confused about where Botkinburg, Arkansas is,
well it's just up the road apiece from Old Botkinburg.

When my (Hatfield, Arkiesaw) FFA delegation attended the national
convention in Kansas City, we met a wide variety of folks from around
the country.

Now, when you see an FFA'er from behind, it's clear what state and
chapter he's from: it's emblazoned on his blue cordoroy jacket. But
face to face calls for more explanation.

Stranger (to one of my co-delegates): "So, where are you from"

Arkie: "Hatfield."

Stranger (obviously hoping to narrow it down to a continent, or
possibly a state): "Oh, yeah? Where is that?"

Arkie: "About ten miles south of Mena."

We explained it to him later. ;-)

Kevin
Dave in Fairfax

Kevin Craig wrote:
When my (Hatfield, Arkiesaw) FFA delegation attended the national
convention in Kansas City, we met a wide variety of folks from around
the country.

Now, when you see an FFA'er from behind, it's clear what state and
chapter he's from: it's emblazoned on his blue cordoroy jacket. But
face to face calls for more explanation.

Stranger (to one of my co-delegates): "So, where are you from"

Arkie: "Hatfield."

Stranger (obviously hoping to narrow it down to a continent, or
possibly a state): "Oh, yeah? Where is that?"

Arkie: "About ten miles south of Mena."

We explained it to him later. ;-)

Kevin

FFA? How old/young are you? Last time I saw FFA, we had to worry about
the girls getting 4-H fever after the animals were judged. That was
back in the early 60s.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Kevin Craig

In article , Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

FFA? How old/young are you? Last time I saw FFA, we had to worry about
the girls getting 4-H fever after the animals were judged. That was
back in the early 60s.

I'm 42. I graduated HS in 1981.

FFA is still going strong. We get "RFD-TV" on DirecTV, and they
frequently show state conventions.

Kevin

Dave in Fairfax

Kevin Craig wrote:
I'm 42. I graduated HS in 1981.

FFA is still going strong. We get "RFD-TV" on DirecTV, and they
frequently show state conventions.

I misunderstood. I thought that you were still going to FFA meetings
and might still be in school. I never thought that they'd have FFA on
TV. What a hoot.

Dave in Fairfax