Ken

Default Lose knots sink knives on Delta TP400

I recently planed several hundred feet of 1" spruce boards, all
went well, or so it seemed. At some point near the end of that work
a lose knot must have jammed against the knife, resulting in a severe
bend in one of the knives and knife locking bar. The deviation was
close to 1/8 inch. Nasty.
On a related note I just got the delta 22-580 two speed 13" model
to replace old TP400. I searched comments on the 580 on various
sites. One woodworker was of the opinion that the two speeds could be
a potential souce of problems.
Sure enough, although the new machine worked great right out of
the box, after changing to finishing speed, the speed control lever
would not return to dimensioning speed, unless I fiddled with the
rollers. The Canadian Delta offices are closed today for the holiday.
Any other delta 580 users had this problem? Opinions welcome
TIA
Jim & Sharon

only change speed with the motor running

Ken

Doh! I did read the manual but what I read and what I understood
were opposites. Temporary dyslexia perhaps?? There's always some new
thing when going from the basic to the multifangled model. Thanks
Jim and Sharon.
BillyBob

"Ken" wrote in message
Doh! I did read the manual but what I read and what I understood
were opposites. Temporary dyslexia perhaps?? There's always some new
thing when going from the basic to the multifangled model. Thanks
Jim and Sharon.

Yep, had the same "problem" here. When I started following the directions,
I am pleased to report the speed changing problem healed itself. The 580 is
like the Energizer bunny. It just keeps working and working and working.
One of these days I'll take the time to turn my knives over. I've a some
rought Teak waiting to turn into a beautiful project. I bet that does the
knives in a hurry.

Bob

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Okay to use Ridgid knives in a Delta jointer? toller Woodworking 7 September 10th 04 05:50 PM
Delta Announcement News Maven Woodworking 4 April 1st 04 06:23 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM