Default Repair a stripped wooden pull

I have an oak pull from an antique dresser.
It was mounted from the inside of the drawer with a brass screw.
The screw has pulled out of the pull.

I want to keep all the hardware, so I don't want to use a different
bigger screw

So the first thought was to drill out the pull, glue in a piece of
dowel, and retap. This would probably be the best solution, but the
pull is round and I am having great difficulty in holding it firmly
enough without the fear of damage to it or me (it would need a 3/8"
dowel at least..its really stripped out and made a big hole). And
because the pull is round I fear that as I drill it will get away from
me. The pull is round and there is no way to get it square.

So the next option would be to fill the cavity in the pull with some
hard filler, or epoxy or something like that, then drill a new tap
with a 1/8" drill for the existing screw. This I feel comfortable
doing since the hole is much smaller.

But I cannot locate any appropriate filler at Lowes or Home Depot that
can be drilled shaped etc and will hold the screw. No help from the
store staff either.

You help is appreciated.

Jerry

Not sure what the brand name is in the US but I have used 2 part epoxy
putties with success to do this job. They are usually a strip which you
knead together and get ~5mins working time. There are a number of different
types for different materials so check the directions for the best one for
wood. Easy to push into odd shape holes and set rock hard. Use excess and
sand flat. Then drill and put a screw in first to "tap" the hole. Then put
it back on the draw.

Cheers,

Rod.

wrote in message
[...]

Mark
So then you'd use wood glue to hold the wood fragments inthere?
Jerry

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:36:45 -0500, Markem
wrote:

Match sticks(the larger wooden ones) work very well actually, or any
sliver of wood that will fill the hole in the pull. It also is
reversible.

Walt Cheever

I'd use tooth picks. Match sticks are pretty soft wood, and they don't hold
much.

And I'd put in a little glue to hold them. Wax on the screw threads would
keep the glue from adhering to the screw.

Walt Cheever
"Markem" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:18:47 -0500, wrote:

I have an oak pull from an antique dresser.
It was mounted from the inside of the drawer with a brass screw.
The screw has pulled out of the pull.

I want to keep all the hardware, so I don't want to use a different
bigger screw

Match sticks(the larger wooden ones) work very well actually, or any
sliver of wood that will fill the hole in the pull. It also is
reversible.

Mark

Markem

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:13:50 GMT, "Walt Cheever"
wrote:

I'd use tooth picks. Match sticks are pretty soft wood, and they don't hold
much.

And I'd put in a little glue to hold them. Wax on the screw threads would
keep the glue from adhering to the screw.

Depends if you want to preseve, do nothing you can not reverse. Value
of the item as to original condition can be affected greatly. A match
stick or two has parrafin on it and will come out easily.

Mark

"Markem" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:18:47 -0500, wrote:

I have an oak pull from an antique dresser.
It was mounted from the inside of the drawer with a brass screw.
The screw has pulled out of the pull.

I want to keep all the hardware, so I don't want to use a different
bigger screw

Match sticks(the larger wooden ones) work very well actually, or any
sliver of wood that will fill the hole in the pull. It also is
reversible.

dadiOH

wrote in message
[...]

No need to drill and tap. Get any two part epoxy that will set up hard.
JB Weld and Poly Poxy come to mind. Fill hole with same. Dip screw in
vaseline or oil, wipe off most and insert in hole. When the epoxy sets
up you'll be able to remove the screw and have built in threads. The
only hard part might be keeping the screw centered and vertical until
the epoxy sets up but that is easily accomplished with a piece of
masking tape. Much better than tooth picks. Obviously, you could also
forget inserting the screw and just drill and tap.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

George E. Cawthon

[...]

Way to much thought went into your ideas. Keep it
simple. All you do is add some wood to the hole
in the pull, e.g., a match stick (old striker
kind) or tooth picks. You don't even need to glue
them in, but glue them in if you want to. No glue
will more likely let the screw center better.

nospambob

I use bamboo skewers instead of toothpicks. Feel they have harder
stuff.

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:07:55 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

[...]

Jerome Ranch

Well people it worked.
I had some slivers of oak that I jammed in the pulls hole and then
tightened the screw. Worked great.

But I see a continuing problem.

Since this is an old piece of furniture, there are no door glides..so
the drawer (a big one) makes significant contact with the cabinet and
so theres a lot of friction against pulling the drawer open. Would a
rubbing of beeswax be the safest and most effective means to slicken
these drawers?

Thanks
Jerry
Swingman

"Jerome Ranch" wrote in message

Since this is an old piece of furniture, there are no door glides..so
the drawer (a big one) makes significant contact with the cabinet and
so theres a lot of friction against pulling the drawer open. Would a
rubbing of beeswax be the safest and most effective means to slicken
these drawers?

Absolutely ... drawers have been working that way for hundreds of years. Any
wax/paste wax suitable for use on wood , including plain ol' canning
paraffin from the super market, will do wonders for reducing the friction of
wood on wood.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Stephen M

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Jerome Ranch" wrote in message

Since this is an old piece of furniture, there are no door glides..so
the drawer (a big one) makes significant contact with the cabinet and
so theres a lot of friction against pulling the drawer open. Would a
rubbing of beeswax be the safest and most effective means to slicken
these drawers?

Absolutely ... drawers have been working that way for hundreds of years.

Any
wax/paste wax suitable for use on wood , including plain ol' canning
paraffin from the super market, will do wonders for reducing the friction

of
wood on wood.

Ditto. Although, it is probably more important to get any wax in there than
the right wax, beeswax is both expensive and relatively soft so it would be
my last choice. If you're not a canner, rub a candle in there annually and
you'd be all set. If I'm not mistaken, generic white candles are basically
paraffin.

-Steve