gary

Default New to woodworking--- need advice

I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

no(SPAM)vasys

gary wrote:
I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

In the $300-$350 price range I'd look at the Grizzly G1182HW 6" jointer.
See:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...8&site=grizzly

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Mike in Arkansas

If you want to reduce your level of frustration and aggravation

On this note of frustration and aggravation, I suggest you scrap the 30
year old Craftsman router and buy one of the PC, Bosch, etc route kits
with fixed/plunge bases.

gary

Thanks, for the suggestion, but I already play golf. Love the game, but
need other interest.

gary

Mike, that's my thinking. Maybe use the old router as a fixed mount
application.

Thomas Bunetta

"gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

Perhaps the most sage advice I have seen given here is "let the project
dictate the tools" and that "there will always be some compromise between
cost and quality" of the tools you choose.
Do Google searches for the insert tool name or BLURFL here and read a
while.
Then narrow the field to considering this one or that one and come back to
the Wreck to pick their collective minds... Majority rules.
When you have a job requiring a good router, replace the one you have (as
another suggested).
Decide on what type of jobs you'll do and acquire the tools as needed for
that type of work (don't get a sledge to drive finish nails).
Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"loutent" wrote in message
With woodworking, there are definite "levels" of
accomplishment that are self-imposed. It is impossible
for a "retired" person to feel such levels in golf.

Isn't the goal to shoot your age? I've been able to shoot my weight.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Edwin
Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't the goal to shoot your age? I've been able to shoot my weight.

Hah! I can shoot half my weight!

Neener neener!

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:39:36 -0400, "Bruce T"
wrote:

If you want to reduce your level of frustration and aggravation, I suggest
you consider golf.

Hey, I quit golf and took up woodworking to reduce my frustration and
aggravation level. Woodworking is a matter of applying more
knowledge, better tools, better tuned tools, and patience to make
steady gains in proficiency and, therefore, satisfaction. For me at
least, golf was a good walk in the country spoiled.

BruceT

"gary" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

James T. Kirby

gary wrote:
I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

Yorkcraft, from Wile Machinery, particularly if you are in driving distance
of York, PA and can avoid the shipping charge.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

James T. Kirby

James T. Kirby wrote:
gary wrote:

I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

Yorkcraft, from Wile Machinery, particularly if you are in driving distance
of York, PA and can avoid the shipping charge.

Jim Kirby

Blah, I meant Wilke Machnery, http://www.wilkemachinery.com, sorry for the
misdirection.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

Bob G.

On 25 Jul 2005 15:59:40 -0700, "gary" wrote:

I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

==============
I have been retired since 1998....and to be honest I wish I could have
retired 30 years earlier... so congradulations...

BUT:
Honestly I would spend not add a single tool to your shop YET...

Not knowing exactly what you intend to do (you may not either) I would
just tell you to spend a few hundred bucks on lumber...and go out and
start creating sawdust.... Sooner then later you will find out just
what tools you NEED ...

When you find a NEED (not want) for a tool then go out and buy it...

All MY NEEDS are taklen care of....and have been for years..
MY WANTS on the other hand will never be satisfied...

Bob G

Brian Siano

Bob G. wrote:
On 25 Jul 2005 15:59:40 -0700, "gary" wrote:

I am planning retiring December 1. I plan on starting woodworking as a
hobby and also do some home improvement projects. I am starting to
accumulate power tools. I have a 10" Craftsman table saw, Delta 10"
compound miter saw and a 30 year old Craftsman router. I also have a
belt sander and a orbital sander. I'm thinking about buying a jointer
should consider.

Dust collection. If you're retired, and planning to face machines
spewing sawdust, then get dust protection BIG TIME.

But I'm gravitating more towards hand tools. I'd see about some planes
and scrapers.
mac davis

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:41:47 -0400, Bob G. wrote:

[...]

Good advice, Bob!
A friend went to a shrink once after a divorce... he was told to come back next
time with 2 lists: needs & wants...
He started to read off "needs" like a stereo, car, etc.. and the shrink said
something like "no, I want you to say each thing loud, while banging on my desk"
he was supposed to say "I need this ___________ and demand to have it"...
He said that about 90% of his needs got transferred to the want page...

Back OT, I think that from my experience and what I read here, you buy a tool
when you're going to start a project and it would be easier and better to have
that tool..
Most folks that have a decent table and miter saw have little use for a
bandsaw... take up bowl turning or something that requires a lot of rounded
corners and things, and you suddenly have to have one...

If you do a few flat wood projects, you'll probably want to build or buy a table
for your router... opens a whole new world for you... (which in wRECk terms
means many opportunities to spend money)

As the addiction evolves, you find that better tools make better project results
and leads to more complicated and expensive projects.. this, of course, leads to
more complicated and expensive tools...

welcome to the sawdust production world!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing