J T

Default THE LAY OF THE ROWING BENCH

I figured most of you could use some exposure to a bit of culture.
Rowing benches are wood, so it ties in. This is from the Boreal
Foundaion for Academic Studies, that guarantees it's cultural.
http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/...boreal-lay.htm

JOAT
Good manners started to happen as soon as all the mammoths were killed
off and there was no piece of food big enough for everyone to eat at the
same time.
- Nanny Ogg

J T

THE LAY OF THE ROWING BENCH

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jul 19, 2005, 2:00am (EDT-1) From:
(Patriarch) doth say:
We rode in uncomfortable vehicles, sang nonsense songs, and seemed to
travel forever, and never get very far.
Times were good, though. And forty five years later, we know most of the
words to most of the songs. So do our kids.

Ah yes, good times. I had some of those too. The good times part
about some of them is, the fact that they are over . Others would be
worth living thru, some several times, others just once or twice. Some
of them are just good memories, that involved a lot of hard work at the
time, and while they are treasured memories, and I would not want to
forget them, I sure wouldn't want to live them over again.

Some of those not to be forgotten memories, that I would hate to
relive, a Helping to mow hay using horses, gethering the same hay
using horses, then putting it up in the barn. Combining wheat, with a
belt driven combine, and a stationary tractor. Bagging wheat by hand.
Cutting corn, and shocking it by hand. Then shelling the same corn by
hand. Separating cream from butter with a hand cranked separater. Then
hand churning butter from the cream. Outdoor outhouses - used until I
was in the 7th grade, and we moved into a house with indoor plumbing -
ah, luxury, especially on a cold winter day. There's more, but that
will do for now.

JOAT
Good manners started to happen as soon as all the mammoths were killed
off and there was no piece of food big enough for everyone to eat at the
same time.
- Nanny Ogg

Lee Michaels

"J T" wrote
Outdoor outhouses - used until I
was in the 7th grade, and we moved into a house with indoor plumbing -
ah, luxury, especially on a cold winter day.

Where I grew up, almost none of the houses were built with indoor toliets.
The bathrooms were added onto the house. The house I grew up in was lived
in by my grand parents. He had to fell the trees, strip them of bark and
treat them. The power company then put up the poles so he could have
electricty from miles away.

Then he created the ultimate luxury for that time. He put lights into the
outdoor outhouse. People came from miles around to see that. We still used
it from time to time.

Woodworking/Shop Bench Bob Woodworking 6 February 1st 05 04:17 AM
[Ganoksin] [Issue #98] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 April 29th 04 03:49 PM
Bench Top Drill Press That Can Swing Drill Head Jay Chan Woodworking 8 April 4th 04 10:17 PM
[Ganoksin] [January 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 January 24th 04 06:41 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM