D Steck

Default 200 Yr. Old Oak Tree

Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Edwin Pawlowski

"D Steck" wrote in message
news
Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Sounds to me as the SOB is using it as blackmail, holding the tree hostage
for taxpayer welfare. I'm willing to fire up the chainsaw.

Charlie Self

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"D Steck" wrote in message
news
Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Sounds to me as the SOB is using it as blackmail, holding the tree hostage
for taxpayer welfare. I'm willing to fire up the chainsaw.

Me, too. He wants government funds to help out his church. Faith based
woodcutting.

Bur oak is a great wood, by the way, looks a lot like QS white
oak,makes great veneer I'm told, and it would really be a shame to see
a tree that size fed to the shredders. But it would be a much bigger
shame to see this guy succeed in blackmailing the town.

Dave in Fairfax

Charlie Self wrote:
Me, too. He wants government funds to help out his church. Faith based
woodcutting.
Bur oak is a great wood, by the way, looks a lot like QS white
oak,makes great veneer I'm told, and it would really be a shame to see
a tree that size fed to the shredders. But it would be a much bigger
shame to see this guy succeed in blackmailing the town.

I think I see a use for that obscene court ruling on eminent domain. He
must have learned his ethics from Sharpton.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Mike in Mystic

That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking lot
for a church, and this tree is in the way. A bunch of who-knows-who got
their panties in a wad about "saving the tree" and he gave them an
alternative. How is that blackmail? He stated his position, gave them the
option. If they choose not to follow it, he'll cut the tree down, which is
perfectly within his right's it seems to me.

Hopefully he'll be smart enough to sell the tree to a lumber company that
will mill it into nice wood and he'd probably even make a profit for his
church. Good for him if it works out that way.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"D Steck" wrote in message
news
Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it

into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down

and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...ory/92D05CB4C3
9BDF8C8625703E00149753?OpenDocument

Sounds to me as the SOB is using it as blackmail, holding the tree

hostage
for taxpayer welfare. I'm willing to fire up the chainsaw.

Me, too. He wants government funds to help out his church. Faith based
woodcutting.

Bur oak is a great wood, by the way, looks a lot like QS white
oak,makes great veneer I'm told, and it would really be a shame to see
a tree that size fed to the shredders. But it would be a much bigger
shame to see this guy succeed in blackmailing the town.

Upscale

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking lot
for a church, and this tree is in the way.

If what you say is correct, then at the very least he could have stated his
case a little clearer. If there's any confusion about his intent, then it
looks like it was his own fault.

Duane Bozarth

Upscale wrote:

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking lot
for a church, and this tree is in the way.

If what you say is correct, then at the very least he could have stated his
case a little clearer. If there's any confusion about his intent, then it
looks like it was his own fault.

One should never underestimate the ability of the reporter to confuse an
issue,, either...
Patriarch

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking
lot for a church, and this tree is in the way.

If what you say is correct, then at the very least he could have
stated his case a little clearer. If there's any confusion about his
intent, then it looks like it was his own fault.

You have to admit that there is the possibility that the person writing
and/or editing the story induced a little spin...

Dhakala

Mike in Mystic wrote:
That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking lot
for a church, and this tree is in the way. A bunch of who-knows-who got
their panties in a wad about "saving the tree" and he gave them an
alternative. How is that blackmail? He stated his position, gave them the
option. If they choose not to follow it, he'll cut the tree down, which is
perfectly within his right's it seems to me.

You got it, Mike! If this was a private citizen instead of a pastor, he
wouldn't be catching this flak.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dhakala" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike in Mystic wrote:
That's not how that story read to me at all. The guy needs a parking lot
for a church, and this tree is in the way. A bunch of who-knows-who got
their panties in a wad about "saving the tree" and he gave them an
alternative. How is that blackmail? He stated his position, gave them
the
option. If they choose not to follow it, he'll cut the tree down, which
is
perfectly within his right's it seems to me.

You got it, Mike! If this was a private citizen instead of a pastor, he
wouldn't be catching this flak.

He would if the goal was extortion.

We may not be getting the whole story, but how do you interpret:
"The Rev. Johnnie Wilson gave the people of Centralia, Ill., an ultimatum:
Come up with $75,000 in 30 days or he would chop down a giant bur oak tree
on his church's property to make room for parking spaces."

Perhaps a lot of the story was left out, perhaps a lot of facts are missing.
But what I read does not come across very well. If it was in fact, an
ultimatum, not a request for help.

Gary

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"D Steck" wrote in message
news
Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Sounds to me as the SOB is using it as blackmail, holding the tree hostage
for taxpayer welfare. I'm willing to fire up the chainsaw.

"Hey Mama, is it true what they say,
that Papa never worked a day in his life?
And Mama, some bad talk going around town
saying that Papa had three outside children and another wife.
And that ain't right.
Hey, talk about Papa doing some store front preaching.
Talked about saving souls and all the time leeching.
Dealing in debt and stealing in the name of the Lord."

The Temptations

Guess who

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:06:48 -0500, "D Steck"
wrote:

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Quote: The Rev. Johnnie Wilson gave the people of Centralia, Ill., an
ultimatum: Come up with $75,000 in 30 days or he would chop down a
giant bur oak tree on his church's property to make room for parking
spaces.

Sounds like good Christian attitude to me.

Modat22

wrote:

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

Quote: The Rev. Johnnie Wilson gave the people of Centralia, Ill., an
ultimatum: Come up with $75,000 in 30 days or he would chop down a
giant bur oak tree on his church's property to make room for parking
spaces.

Sounds like good Christian attitude to me.

I wonder if he'd let me chop her down and keep the lumber.....
D Steck

"D Steck" wrote in message
news
Looks like there might be some oak available if you want to cut it into
boards.

I hate to see old trees cut down but what's worse is to cut them down and
turn them into firewood.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...3?OpenDocument

WOW! You all took that about 16 different directions!!! Here I was
thinking about the wood and we went down the path of the newspaper. What I
should have mentioned is that the St. Louis Post Dispatch is considered a
very liberal rag for a fairly conservative town. There was a paper years
ago - The Globe Democrat that was conservative but after numerous attempts
to reformat the paper, it went under. I sure to miss that paper - it kept
the Post Dispatch in check. They are most certainly anti-church and
anti-war.

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
How Lee Valley & Tegs Tools Saved Christmas B Man Woodworking 0 January 21st 05 02:20 AM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM