R.H.

Default What is it? LXX

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#400: solar cell
#401: clamp. To close bottles?
#402: revolutions counter (_early_ model)
#403: guess: for woodworking. To scrap ornamental grooves into table
legs etc. If not for wood, then for plaster.
404: ??? At least, the needles are adjustable. Something similar is used
for taking off contours. Or for combing hemp.
405: ??? handle with a magnet. No clue what for.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
kodiakman

"R.H." wrote in news:ZHpBe.7709$B52.1687
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

#401 - Ice skate blade "sharpener"

C & M

400: Solar cell
401: Clamp (unknown type - probably a magnet retained in the jaws)
402: Tachometer for something slow moving - the tip appears to be applied
to the center of a shaft which drives the worm gear and turns the indicator
dial)
403: ??
404: Groover - I'm thinking on concrete but this is too narrow for that
kind of work.
405: Nail holder for starting nails

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Cheese grater.

Clip for holding something.

Chastity doorknob- allows one to see how many times the door has been
opened since last night.. not a big seller..

Beard comb.

One of the toys from "Baby's First S&M Set".

Magnetic handle.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

400. Solar panel with rifle reflected in it

401. Chalk holder

402. Soil hygrometer

403. Concrete edger

404. Tatooing instrument

405. Tack puller

result in a fully-depreciated one.
TomH

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:51:05 GMT, "R.H."
wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From rec.woodworking

400. Stripey Pajamas
401. Victorian Nose Hair Trimmer
402. Comb from the "George Costanza Collection"
403. Cake Decorator (vintage prototype)
405. Left-handed Magnetic Nipple Wrench

--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
Peter DiVergilio

405 is a valve spring keeper lock insertion tool

John Martin

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

403. clapboard marker

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. -- Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

400) It looks like silicon solar cells -- probably part of an array, or
destined to become part of an array. (Probably the latter, as
it does not appear to have been covered with glass yet.

401) Holder for sandpaper for sanding into a groove? The strip of
sandpaper wraps around the cylinder (grit side in), and then
folds back over the lips.

402) A very old example of a mechanical tachometer. The point is
pressed into a center hole, The user's thumb feels (and counts
the full rotations of the worm wheel, and the pointer (which is
set to zero (actually 100) before the start) indicates how many
rotations of the input spindle should be added to the full
rotations of the worm wheel (each of which represent 100
rotations of the input spindle). You operate it for a known
time (perhaps 60 seconds), and then calculate RPM from the
total number of turns during that period.

I've never seen one of these with exposed gears before, most are
totally enclosed.

403) Perhaps for decorative grooving of planks?

404) Hmm ... a bit of possible confusion here.

a) It might be some form of weld scale chipping hammer.

b) It might be a contour gauge. If so, I would expect the
pieces in the "head" to be equal in length, so you could
get a positive or negative contour from the single tool

I would also expect there to be a way to loosen and
clamp the stack down at the other end of the handle, and
I don't seem to see that.

c) Or -- it might be a form of meat tenderizer.

405) Magnet for holding a nail as you are starting it -- without

putting your fingers at risk of being hammered. The nail goes
into the 'V' on the end, and is held by the two steel layers
(bread), with the magnetic field being provided by the brown
layer as the meat in the sandwich.

Now -- to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ron DeBlock

Reading in rec.crafts.metalworking.

400. closeup of a photovoltaic (solar) cell

401. ice skate sharpener - run the blade along the cylindrical abrasive,
and it leaves sharp edges on the blade. The "ears" on the clip part serve
as a guide.

402. tachometer. The shaft is badly corroded. When the point is held
against the axis of spinning object, the shaft turns, which turns the
wheel. Run it for a certain time, or until a certain number is reached,
and the RPMs can be calculated.

403. not sure - looks like it's for making parallel grooves in something.

404. not sure, but it looks like a big, nasty version of a comb used for
removing knotted fur on a long-hair cat or dog

405. The notched end is magnetic. It holds nails so you can start them
without pounding your thumb.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

R.H.

Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below, if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

401. Hockey skate sharpener

402. Mechanical tachometer

403. Clapboard marker

404.

405. Magnetic nail holder

A new photo and a link can be seen on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan73t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Jim Stewart

R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below, if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Automotive solar trickle charger

401. Hockey skate sharpener

402. Mechanical tachometer

403. Clapboard marker

404.

405. Magnetic nail holder

A new photo and a link can be seen on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan73t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

404.

unsolved

There is one thing that is a bit confusing: The handle. If it would be
something like a hammer, the disk at the end would not be very pleasing
to one's hand. Furthermore, it seems that the handle is gripped at the
upper end, judging from the (more) polished look.

Stonemasons do have a hammer that resembles this one a bit. It is called
Charrier-iron (from the french) and is used for roughening a surface.

Any useful hints, beside "yes" or "no"? :-)

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
R.H.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below,

if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Automotive solar trickle charger

Yes, it keeps the battery charged if the car is not used for a long period
of time.

Rob

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below, if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

O.K. This makes it clear. It is intended for maintaining the
charge in an automobile's battery -- even if you don't start it often
enough to properly maintain the charge.

I could actually use one of those. :-)

404.

Still no idea about this one -- assuming that all of my guesses
were wrong.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

There is one thing that is a bit confusing: The handle. If it would be
something like a hammer, the disk at the end would not be very pleasing
to one's hand. Furthermore, it seems that the handle is gripped at the
upper end, judging from the (more) polished look.

Stonemasons do have a hammer that resembles this one a bit. It is called
Charrier-iron (from the french) and is used for roughening a surface.

Correct, it's a stone dressing tool, called a Crandall, though I'm not sure
why it has the unusual handle.

Rob

Scott Lurndal

#403 is a stanley clapboard marker. Used to mark the
ends of clapboards where they butt against the corner
boards.
Ron DeBlock

R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below,

if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Automotive solar trickle charger

Yes, it keeps the battery charged if the car is not used for a long period
of time.

That assumes that the power outlet (cigar lighter plug) is not switched
with the key. On most of the cars I've owned, the charger would be
useless as configured from the factory - it would need to be wired to an
unswitched circuit. Just something to consider if you plan to use one.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,
He would have scheduled it later in the day.

George E. Cawthon

R.H. wrote:

Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below,

if

anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Automotive solar trickle charger

Yes, it keeps the battery charged if the car is not used for a long period
of time.

That assumes that the power outlet (cigar lighter plug) is not switched
with the key. On most of the cars I've owned, the charger would be
useless as configured from the factory - it would need to be wired to an
unswitched circuit. Just something to consider if you plan to use one.

Huh? I've never had a car where the cigarette
lighter(s) turned off with the key. And certainly
the power outlet on my pickup doesn't turn off
with the key.

Gunner

R.H. wrote:

Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:

400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below,

if

anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Automotive solar trickle charger

Yes, it keeps the battery charged if the car is not used for a long period
of time.

That assumes that the power outlet (cigar lighter plug) is not switched
with the key. On most of the cars I've owned, the charger would be
useless as configured from the factory - it would need to be wired to an
unswitched circuit. Just something to consider if you plan to use one.

Huh? I've never had a car where the cigarette
lighter(s) turned off with the key. And certainly
the power outlet on my pickup doesn't turn off
with the key.

Ive seen a couple..but the majority were hot full time. The ones that
werent..were, within 30 minutes of me finding out they were switched.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
lionslair at consolidated dot net

R.H. wrote:

[...]

I used to have a small solar cell battery charger. It was an early model type
and didn't work all that great. I had a battery killer - an early computer
type New Yorker. The Diehard would die over a two day trip if left in the
parking lot at the airport. I think the real issue was the '12V' CMOS
CPU that needed 12 volts or more for a regulator. It wouldn't turn on so
the motor didn't. Just a little float up and it would work just fine.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Mike Dworetsky

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

400. Computer chip on a credit card.
403. Operator's floor indicator for old Empire State Bldg elevators?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Mike Dworetsky

"R.H." wrote in message

There is one thing that is a bit confusing: The handle. If it would be
something like a hammer, the disk at the end would not be very pleasing
to one's hand. Furthermore, it seems that the handle is gripped at the
upper end, judging from the (more) polished look.

Stonemasons do have a hammer that resembles this one a bit. It is called
Charrier-iron (from the french) and is used for roughening a surface.

Correct, it's a stone dressing tool, called a Crandall, though I'm not

sure
why it has the unusual handle.

Maybe a (wood?) handle fits around the metal shaft and is missing in this
example.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Nick Müller

Mike Dworetsky wrote:

Maybe a (wood?) handle fits around the metal shaft and is missing in this
example.

This makes sense.
Sometimes the easy answers are the hardest to find.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Huh? I've never had a car where the cigarette
lighter(s) turned off with the key. And certainly
the power outlet on my pickup doesn't turn off
with the key.

Domestic cars generally have the lighter socket always live. Japanese
cars generally have it live only in ACC or ON. I don't know why this
is.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Ron DeBlock

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:
Huh? I've never had a car where the cigarette
lighter(s) turned off with the key. And certainly
the power outlet on my pickup doesn't turn off
with the key.

Probably an American car feature. I bought my first American vehicle two
years ago, it has non-switched lighter sockets. For the prior 20 odd
years, I owned only European and Japanese vehicles, they all had/have
switched lighter sockets. I don't recall if my parents' American cars had
switched lighters - I know some didn't have lighter sockets at all.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,
He would have scheduled it later in the day.

George E. Cawthon

Ron DeBlock wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Huh? I've never had a car where the cigarette
lighter(s) turned off with the key. And certainly
the power outlet on my pickup doesn't turn off
with the key.

Probably an American car feature. I bought my first American vehicle two
years ago, it has non-switched lighter sockets. For the prior 20 odd
years, I owned only European and Japanese vehicles, they all had/have
switched lighter sockets. I don't recall if my parents' American cars had
switched lighters - I know some didn't have lighter sockets at all.

I wondered that myself and thought switched
lighter sockets are probably a European feature.
Heck, radios used to be non switched too.
Mungo Bulge

What do you mean "used to be ", my car radio can be turned on without
a key in the ignition, it's a Ford Focus. Push the volume control and
the radio plays for 1 hour.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
| Ron DeBlock wrote:
| On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

--- snip ---
| I wondered that myself and thought switched
| lighter sockets are probably a European feature.
| Heck, radios used to be non switched too.

George E. Cawthon

Mungo Bulge wrote:
What do you mean "used to be ", my car radio can be turned on without
a key in the ignition, it's a Ford Focus. Push the volume control and
the radio plays for 1 hour.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
| Ron DeBlock wrote:
| On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:48:51 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

--- snip ---
| I wondered that myself and thought switched
| lighter sockets are probably a European feature.
| Heck, radios used to be non switched too.

Must be one of Ford's better ideas! The timer in
the radio probably increased the cost of the
radio by $50.

Rich Grise

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:21:49 +0000, R.H. wrote:
Five of the six have been answered correctly so far:
400. Solar cells, I put a few more photos of this one on the page below, if
anyone would like to guess the purpose of this device:

http://400scd.blogspot.com/

Nobody's yet mentioned the four suction cups in the corners - they
stick it to the inside of the windshield. :-)

Cheers!
Rich