dean

Default Have to cross cut some wood....

Some kind of gum tree that I can't split. Any tips on sawing along the
grain? I know the saw has to be parallel to the grain, but is there a
special kind of chain that's better used for this?

Thanks

Dean

www

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some kind of gum tree that I can't split. Any tips on sawing along the
grain? I know the saw has to be parallel to the grain, but is there a
special kind of chain that's better used for this?

Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean, this is Dean :-p

You can buy special rip chains for chainsaws, obviously designed to cut with
the grain of the wood.
Any good chainsaw retailer should sell them, if not, Granberg sells good
ripping chain - http://www.granberg.com/ripping_chain.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

Dave in Fairfax

dean wrote:
Some kind of gum tree that I can't split. Any tips on sawing along the
grain? I know the saw has to be parallel to the grain, but is there a
special kind of chain that's better used for this?

I must be missing something. You wanted to CROSS cut some wood, but
you're asking about ripping.... You CAN rip with a crosscut chain, but
it'll load up pretty fast. Make sure that your bar is a fair amount
bigger than the log so that you can leave lots of room to clear the
trash near the powerhead.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Depends. You could buy ripping chain, as others mention. Different
cutter-geometry: some like scribing knives & some like chisels with
edge perp. bar.

The chips will be _much_ longer than when cross-cutting, and pretty
stringy. Some saws will clog up around the sprocket in seconds. Some
will just spit them out. Try it. One little saw I have is _much_
better at ripping than a much bigger, more powerful one.

At the least, figure on not cutting that close to the engine. And,
make sure that chain-oiling is ok.

HTH,

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Depends. You could buy ripping chain, as others mention. Different
cutter-geometry: some like scribing knives & some like chisels with
edge perp. bar.

The chips will be _much_ longer than when cross-cutting, and pretty
stringy. Some saws will clog up around the sprocket in seconds. Some
will just spit them out. Try it. One little saw I have is _much_
better at ripping than a much bigger, more powerful one.

Turners rip the side of a piece, not the end. They keep the speed up for
best shaving ejection and walk the bar through the cut for less resistance,
tilting nose down up to half way along the bar, then rocking to nose up.
The middle trim follows, with bar parallel, then the motion is repeated
until the piece is cut through.

Skip-tooth chain works well, but it has a tendency to bounce a bit when
returning to cross cuts, and can fatigue the operator with its rate of feed.

Ripping chain is more suitable to chainsaw mills where endgrain is the
target. it sucks at anything else.