Tom Watson

Default Might Be Turning Into A Wood Dorking NewsGroup!

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Robatoy

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

WTF?

I bin away.
J.B. Bobbitt

Try: alt.binaries.pictures.supermodels.

The signal-to-noise ratio (woodworking being the "signal") is pretty low
(probably similar to here), but the "noise" is considerably more palatable.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:38:38 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson
clearly wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."

Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:
snip
Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

A fitting tribute to a major life change. Congratulations.

Patriarch

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

Good for you Larry - that's something you should rightfully be very
proud of.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Odinn

On 7/5/2005 10:49 PM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:
clearly wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."

Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
loutent

In article , Tom Watson
wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Think you are right Tom - my kill file only
registered 4 this morning - down from hndreds
just months ago.

Lou
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:53:11 -0500, the opaque Patriarch
clearly wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:
snip
Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

A fitting tribute to a major life change. Congratulations.

Thanks. (Glenn, Mark, and Owie.)

I'm very glad to have survived both drunkenness and sobriety.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 07:55:06 -0400, the opaque Odinn
clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Bob Schmall

clearly wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."

Spreaking of which, troops, my 20th birthday is on Friday.
(A killer 4th of July weekend forced my sobriety back in '85.)

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

And post a pic to abpw?

Congratulations--you've saved your own life.

Bob
preparing to celebrate his 40th wedding anniversary in October.
Knothead

Good for you! Your are a better man than I am. The only thing I quit
successfully was cigs.

Larry Jaques

clearly wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."

I wonder why nobody commented on my reply. Too ironic? Are they so
sure the Wreck will revert? g

OBWW: I shall inlay my 20-year token into a fine piece of
mesquite for display in my living room.

And post a pic to abpw?

Yeah, why not?

Congratulations--you've saved your own life.

Indubitably.

preparing to celebrate his 40th wedding anniversary in October.

"Why would you want to?" the bachelor queried. gd&r

(Congrats anyway.)

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
mac davis

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:38:38 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Been watching the NG for the past little bit and the signal to noise
ratio has gotten well into spec.

Shazzam, rec.norm might actually start looking like a WoodDorking
group.

WTF?

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Thanks, Tom.. you've just cursed us...
Kind of like a boxing announcer saying "he's never been knocked down".. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:13:56 -0500, "Knothead"
wrote:

Good for you! Your are a better man than I am. The only thing I quit
successfully was cigs.

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die of
SOMETHING..
the only thing that I've successfully quit is watermelon and fresh strawberries
for lent..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Philip Lewis

mac davis writes:
the only thing that I've successfully quit is watermelon and fresh
strawberries for lent..

and is that because they were out of season?

--
be safe.
flip

Knothead

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die
of
SOMETHING..

Yeah but I saved so much cash I was able to reoutfit my gara...'er shop ;-)

jo4hn

wrote:

Good for you! Your are a better man than I am. The only thing I quit
successfully was cigs.

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die of
SOMETHING..

[snip]
The LAST thing I want is for people to look at my corpse and tell each
other how good I look. Sprong. Oh and when I head off to Croak City,
don't put candles and teddy bears outside my house or I will haunt you.
On the other hand, I'm willing a couple kilobucks for a great party.
grumble,
jo4hn
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

As we say in AA, "This, too, shall pass."

I wonder why nobody commented on my reply. Too ironic? Are they so
sure the Wreck will revert? g

Regarding things over which we have little to no control, one must not
waste too much emotion.

We can either read, or not.

We can either comment, or not.

We can either be civil, or not. Or be silent.

I cannot, except through filtering or ignoring, change the behavior of
others, should they decide to disrupt this 'place'.

There are good days, and there are less than good days. But today,
basically, life is good. (tmJOAT)

Patriarch

mac davis

On 06 Jul 2005 13:49:44 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

mac davis writes:
the only thing that I've successfully quit is watermelon and fresh
strawberries for lent..

and is that because they were out of season?

yep.. busted.. *blush*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:14:11 -0500, "Knothead"
wrote:

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die
of
SOMETHING..

Yeah but I saved so much cash I was able to reoutfit my gara...'er shop ;-)

I hear that... we spend about $150 a month on little paper tubes that we set on
fire and suck on..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

wrote:

Good for you! Your are a better man than I am. The only thing I quit
successfully was cigs.

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die of
SOMETHING..

[snip]
The LAST thing I want is for people to look at my corpse and tell each
other how good I look. Sprong. Oh and when I head off to Croak City,
don't put candles and teddy bears outside my house or I will haunt you.
On the other hand, I'm willing a couple kilobucks for a great party.
grumble,
jo4hn

you ever notice that the best party of your life is your wake?
that's just not fair.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Larry Jaques

wrote:

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die
of
SOMETHING..

Yeah but I saved so much cash I was able to reoutfit my gara...'er shop ;-)

I hear that... we spend about $150 a month on little paper tubes that we set on
fire and suck on..

Foo!

So quit, save it up for a year, then buy a BRAND NEW Griz 1023SL
AND an 8" jointer, etc.

If that's not worth it, WHAT IS?

(Never mind that you smell like a week old ashtray to everyone
within 50' of you. That's every day, all day.)

LJ--BTDT and I'm now 17 years free of the butts.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Odinn

On 7/6/2005 8:39 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:
clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Prometheus

clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.
Odinn

On 7/8/2005 6:11 AM Prometheus mumbled something about the following:

clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.

See, it was chaw and dip that I started on before smoking, and it don't
go well with my current profession (lead systems administrator) when I'm
in meetings all the time. I only smoke 1 carton every 2 weeks, and I
smoke cheap ones, $18 a carton after tax, so my cost is less than $500 a
year, I only smoke outside, so I'm only affecting myself. Besides, I
ride a motorcycle in heavy traffic every day, smoking is no worse than
all those friggin fumes I breath in while in traffic, and cigs taste
MUCH better than diesel fumes.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:51:55 -0400, the opaque Odinn
clearly wrote:

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

All I can say about the smoking is "FOO!" Tha money could have bought
you a new (or classic) scoot by now.

Well, I made it to 20. Happy Days! www.diversify.com/20yeartoken/

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 05:11:25 -0500, the opaque Prometheus
clearly wrote:

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.

You prefer mouth/gum/throat cancer to lung cancer, eh? And it's such a
lovely habit to continually spit out that ugly brown ****. Congrats!
I'll bet your family and friends are thrilled and honored by it, too.
tsk tsk tsk

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Charlie Self

clearly wrote:

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.

You prefer mouth/gum/throat cancer to lung cancer, eh? And it's such a
lovely habit to continually spit out that ugly brown ****. Congrats!
I'll bet your family and friends are thrilled and honored by it, too.
tsk tsk tsk

Butts are harder to quit than booze. As of 8/2, I've been off cigarets
for 16 years, and December 17 sees me off Courvoisier and Wild Turkey
for 19 years. I quite boozing when it hit $13 a fifth for the good WT,
and bailed out of cigarets when they hit $9 a carton. Of course, health
was the reason for both stops.

The idea of changing from cigarets to a chew never once slipped into my
mind. The butts could be daydreamed (stupidly so, but possible) into
some kind of classy deal back in the early '50s. Chewing tobacco was
always on the low end of the class scale. And it just plain looks nasty.

mac davis

wrote:

I've been trying to quit them for about 45 years... oh, well.. ya gotta die
of
SOMETHING..

Yeah but I saved so much cash I was able to reoutfit my gara...'er shop ;-)

I hear that... we spend about $150 a month on little paper tubes that we set on
fire and suck on..

Foo!

So quit, save it up for a year, then buy a BRAND NEW Griz 1023SL
AND an 8" jointer, etc.

If that's not worth it, WHAT IS?

(Never mind that you smell like a week old ashtray to everyone
within 50' of you. That's every day, all day.)

LJ--BTDT and I'm now 17 years free of the butts.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

but then, I'd have to save up a LOT more for a bigger shop, Larry... I have like
3 tools too many for the space that I have now.. (and don't have a TS or
jointer)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

I "paused" once for a year... I guess I was pretty irritable, because my (now
ex) wife told me one day "why don't you buy a pack of smokes before we end up
divorced"...
Within about a week I was back up to a pack a day and 5 years later I got a
divorce, so it sure wasn't a good idea to buy that pack..
To get semi-on topic, I ave made a lot of ash tray holders and sold quite a few
snubbers.. (I used to market them as Butt Savers)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
jo4hn

clearly wrote:

Congrats, I celebrated 20 years June 15. July 20 I will be celebrating
20 years drug free as well.

Congrats to you, too. I'm smoke-free for 17 years, too. (cigs)

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

I "paused" once for a year... I guess I was pretty irritable, because my (now
ex) wife told me one day "why don't you buy a pack of smokes before we end up
divorced"...
Within about a week I was back up to a pack a day and 5 years later I got a
divorce, so it sure wasn't a good idea to buy that pack..
To get semi-on topic, I ave made a lot of ash tray holders and sold quite a few
snubbers.. (I used to market them as Butt Savers)

mac

Maggy and I have a modest collection of trashy, tacky ashtrays.
Interestingly, ashtrays of any ilk are difficult to come by these days.
It used to be that you could go into most any souvenir shop and come
up with some possibilities. Now it's mostly antique shops. Hooray.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Prometheus

clearly wrote:

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.

You prefer mouth/gum/throat cancer to lung cancer, eh? And it's such a
lovely habit to continually spit out that ugly brown ****. Congrats!
I'll bet your family and friends are thrilled and honored by it, too.
tsk tsk tsk

Well, everyone has got a devil. I quit drinking, drugs and junk food,
so I figure I'm doing ok. I suppose I could sit around wrapped in
foam and sip cold tea while contemplating the fung shui of the
neighborhood, but I've got other things to do. Tell you what, you
overlook the snoose, and I won't bother people who eat too much
chocolate and fast food, or take mind-altering chemicals because they
feel a little blue.

Larry Jaques

clearly wrote:

I just cheated. I quit smoking about 2 years ago using those tablet
things, and then switched to chewing tobacco. Cheaper, and it can't
possibly hurt anyone but me. Figure I spent about $42 a week on
smokes, and now spend about $5 a week on chew, so it comes out to a
decent compromise in my book, even if I still don't get to live
forever.

You prefer mouth/gum/throat cancer to lung cancer, eh? And it's such a
lovely habit to continually spit out that ugly brown ****. Congrats!
I'll bet your family and friends are thrilled and honored by it, too.
tsk tsk tsk

Well, everyone has got a devil. I quit drinking, drugs and junk food,
so I figure I'm doing ok.

Goodonya, mate.

I suppose I could sit around wrapped in
foam and sip cold tea while contemplating the fung shui of the
neighborhood, but I've got other things to do.

Don't we all? g

Tell you what, you
overlook the snoose, and I won't bother people who eat too much
chocolate and fast food, or take mind-altering chemicals because they
feel a little blue.

So solly, Chahlie. No can do. Bother away!

BTW, I watched "Supersize Me" the other night and became ill watching
the poor guy eat McDognuts for a month, almost killing himself. And
the statistics on obesity are staggering. One of the few things I miss
from LoCal is the percentage of fit, healthy people in the citizenry.

P.S: There is no such thing as "too much chocolate".

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Odinn

On 7/8/2005 11:25 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:
clearly wrote:

If I had stayed quit when I quit smoking, it would be 20 years Nov 13,
but alas, I started back smoking after 5 years quit and haven't quit again.

All I can say about the smoking is "FOO!" Tha money could have bought
you a new (or classic) scoot by now.

Well, I made it to 20. Happy Days! www.diversify.com/20yeartoken/

Umm, the scoot is a 2003, bought it new, and it's paid for I smoke
cheap cigs, $18 a carton, and I smoke a carton every 2 weeks, so, let's
see, $468 a year for 15 years is only $7020. Nope, wouldn't buy even a
cheep scoot.