Lawrence L'Hote

Default Spool Cabinet Prototype

also posted to a.b.p.w.

I haven't been posting much here lately because I was working on some of my
metal sculptures, however, following are links to pictures of a prototype
spool cabinet I'm making for a friend.

#1 Clear Lexan door is reflecting some of the trees. All the materials with
the exceptions of the piano hinge, dowels and some of the fasteners are
salvaged. This version is 12" x 18" and holds 44 spools. The final version
will be about 18" x 32" and hold over a hundred spools. The frame is held
together with pocket holed screws.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/spoolcabinet1.jpg

#2 The door is held shut my a rare earth magnet set into the side and
sticks to one of the nuts on the door pull.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/spoolcabinet2.jpg

#3 The door pull is made from a piece of metal strapping cut to shape with
a jewelers saw. Copper wire is then wound around the handle and brazed.
The small bolt heads have been brazed to the handle, ground down and
incised. Some minimal polishing followed.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/spoolcabinet3.jpg

As soon as she comes by and gives the 'okay' I'll be ready to make the final
cabinet. FWIW this is the 2nd prototype...the first she didn't prefer.

Larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com