Reynaud

Default New to W/W:

Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L shaped
table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of alignment. I ended
up driving an finishing nail into one piece and cutting the head off at an
sharp angle creating an sort of dog that will engage the other piece and
hold it from sliding . Does this seem reasonable ? Help much appreciated.

Rey

Patriarch

"Reynaud" wrote in
:

Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L
shaped table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of
alignment. I ended up driving an finishing nail into one piece and
cutting the head off at an sharp angle creating an sort of dog that
will engage the other piece and hold it from sliding . Does this seem
reasonable ? Help much appreciated.

Rey

Is this a simple butt joint? Or is there any additional joinery involved
to make the joint stronger?

Patriarch
Prometheus

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:19:18 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"Reynaud" wrote in
:

Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L
shaped table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of
alignment. I ended up driving an finishing nail into one piece and
cutting the head off at an sharp angle creating an sort of dog that
will engage the other piece and hold it from sliding . Does this seem
reasonable ? Help much appreciated.

Rey

Is this a simple butt joint? Or is there any additional joinery involved
to make the joint stronger?

Does it count as a butt joint if it does not involve end grain? I've
always considered face-to-edge, edge-to-edge, or face-to-face joints
strong enough without additional joinery... though I sometimes use it
for alignment.

Patriarch

Hax Planx

Reynaud says...

Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L shaped
table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of alignment. I ended
up driving an finishing nail into one piece and cutting the head off at an
sharp angle creating an sort of dog that will engage the other piece and
hold it from sliding . Does this seem reasonable ? Help much appreciated.

Rey

That is an old and respected trick. Congratulations, you show
resourcefulness, which is a vital trait for any craft. However, IMO
butt joints without joinery are bad medicine, not just for strength, but
for the very reason you describe. Pieces slide and glue fills the pores
around the joint making ugly glue splotches when you do the finishing.
A dowel in that joint would have made assembly a snap as well as giving
you a much stronger joint.
Reynaud

"Reynaud" wrote in message
Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L shaped
table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of alignment. I
ended up driving an finishing nail into one piece and cutting the head off
at an sharp angle creating an sort of dog that will engage the other piece
and hold it from sliding . Does this seem reasonable ? Help much
appreciated.

Rey
@#@ Thank you all for the information . It is an simple butt joint. The
dowel trick is what I should have used.

Rey

Patriarch

"Reynaud" wrote in
:

"Reynaud" wrote in message
Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L
shaped table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of
alignment. I ended up driving an finishing nail into one piece and
cutting the head off at an sharp angle creating an sort of dog that
will engage the other piece and hold it from sliding . Does this seem
reasonable ? Help much appreciated.

Rey
@#@ Thank you all for the information . It is an simple butt joint.
The dowel trick is what I should have used.

Rey

There will be a next time.

Most of us find things we could do better for the next project. Keep at
it.

Patriarch
gadgetman

I have found that letting the glue set for a minute, rubbing it around
when first put together will make it grab much better (especially on
face glue-ups). also Clamping wood over the joint helps. Also, if you
trust yourself, tiny nails or brads with the ends cut off after
driving the tiny brads easily stick in the joint when clamping provided
everything is lined up are a common practice especially with critical
glue ups when no more cutting is needed like on electric guitar bodies.
I use especially when trimming a plywood edge with 1/2 + thick
hardwood. It can stll happen tho.