D Steck

Default Perplexed and confused.....

I cut miter joints on my miter saw and never use the table saw to do it.
However, I'm stuck having to use the TS and I can't figure out what is going
wrong. With the blade at 90, I have checked for squareness with the miter
slot, my miter, the fence, and the blade. I have the PALS system with a
dial indicator and have checked everything to tight tolerances.

I have a Powermatic 64A left tilt. When I crank it to 45 degrees nothing is
square anymore. The front of the blade turns in towards the fence and the
back runs away. I'm guessing it's about 1/4" out of square at 45 degrees.

Any thoughts?

David

You've got a problem under the deck of your PM. Trunion issues IIRC. I
tried Googling to find the old thread...it's out there somewhere.
Anyone remember?

Dave

D Steck wrote:

I cut miter joints on my miter saw and never use the table saw to do it.
However, I'm stuck having to use the TS and I can't figure out what is going
wrong. With the blade at 90, I have checked for squareness with the miter
slot, my miter, the fence, and the blade. I have the PALS system with a
dial indicator and have checked everything to tight tolerances.

I have a Powermatic 64A left tilt. When I crank it to 45 degrees nothing is
square anymore. The front of the blade turns in towards the fence and the
back runs away. I'm guessing it's about 1/4" out of square at 45 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Duane Bozarth

D Steck wrote:

I cut miter joints on my miter saw and never use the table saw to do it.
However, I'm stuck having to use the TS and I can't figure out what is going
wrong. With the blade at 90, I have checked for squareness with the miter
slot, my miter, the fence, and the blade. I have the PALS system with a
dial indicator and have checked everything to tight tolerances.

I have a Powermatic 64A left tilt. When I crank it to 45 degrees nothing is
square anymore. The front of the blade turns in towards the fence and the
back runs away. I'm guessing it's about 1/4" out of square at 45 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, something's screwed up...

I don't know how tht 64 trunions are made so can't speculate
specifically. Surely if you bought the saw new it can't have been long
to have discovered this? In that case I'd expect PM to solve it. In
case you bought it used or some such, I'd still start w/ PM service to
get their take. That of course assumes there's not something obvious
like a broken casting, misaligned casting, etc., that checking out below
shows up...

Undoubtedly there will be someone along w/ a 64 to help...
D Steck

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
D Steck wrote:

[...]

Arrrghhhh. I was afraid of a big problem. I just sent Powermatic a note
and will call them in the morning. I bought the saw new. I hate to say it,
but when I first got it, I ran into this problem but figured it was my
inexperience - thus the reason I use my miter saw when I do miter joints -
and I just don't do them that often. The saw is maybe 2 -3 years old now.
I'm sure I'll get good support from Powermatic. They'll probably send me a
66 for all my trouble don't you think?

George

"D Steck" wrote in message
Arrrghhhh. I was afraid of a big problem. I just sent Powermatic a note
and will call them in the morning. I bought the saw new. I hate to say

it,
but when I first got it, I ran into this problem but figured it was my
inexperience - thus the reason I use my miter saw when I do miter joints -
and I just don't do them that often. The saw is maybe 2 -3 years old now.
I'm sure I'll get good support from Powermatic. They'll probably send me

66 for all my trouble don't you think?

It's the motor mount alignment bars. They bolt to the trunnion. Check your
manual, or borrow someone else's who has that genre for information. FWW
and Shopnotes have both published excellent articles on how to adjust.

The have that thing on the table that rides in a groove that can help you.
What's it called? Oh yes, a miter gage....