Larry Spitz

Default Home made jig for handsawing dovetails

Within the past few months I saw an item in a magazine describing a small
dovetail jig for handsawing tails.

The jig comprised a pair of crossed pieces of wood with the end of one of
them having slanted at the dovetail angle and a rare earth magnet inset
into that surface to attract and hold a dozuki at the correct angle.

Now I can't find the magazine item which I would like to review before
making such a jig and trying it out, but I can't seem to find it. I usually
read Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith and ShopNotes but also browse other mags
as I encounter them.

Can anyone out there tell me where I saw this?

Thanks in advance.

Larry
BobS

Larry,

Can't tell you about the magazine article but Lee Valley www.leevalley.com
sells a nice setup for doing just that.

Bob S.

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Within the past few months I saw an item in a magazine describing a small
dovetail jig for handsawing tails.

The jig comprised a pair of crossed pieces of wood with the end of one of
them having slanted at the dovetail angle and a rare earth magnet inset
into that surface to attract and hold a dozuki at the correct angle.

Now I can't find the magazine item which I would like to review before
making such a jig and trying it out, but I can't seem to find it. I
usually
read Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith and ShopNotes but also browse other mags
as I encounter them.

Can anyone out there tell me where I saw this?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

I'm pretty sure it was in the Fine Woodworking Issue that also
contained a review of Shoulder Planes, a Green&Green Style Coffee
Table, and some hints on Dovetails (seperate article). Don't remember
the issue # but perhaps that will jog your memory

BobS wrote:
[...]

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:01:05 GMT, Larry Spitz
wrote:

The jig comprised a pair of crossed pieces of wood with the end of one of
them having slanted at the dovetail angle and a rare earth magnet inset
into that surface to attract and hold a dozuki at the correct angle.

Lee Valley sell one, in extruded aluminium.

(Who else would it be, selling magnet gadgets?)
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

wrote:

The jig comprised a pair of crossed pieces of wood with the end of one of
them having slanted at the dovetail angle and a rare earth magnet inset
into that surface to attract and hold a dozuki at the correct angle.

Lee Valley sell one, in extruded aluminium.

(Who else would it be, selling magnet gadgets?)

....and I'm happily using them...they work pretty well.

yours,
Michael
| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/wwap/

Mike in Arkansas

Greetings, these may be of help
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/dovetailbw.pdf