Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Charlie Self wrote:

Y'all know what a merkin is?

Sure. It covers yer gherkin...
Lee Michaels

"Jerry S." wrote

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
As many people from the various nations throughout the New World consider
themselves to be "Americans", some think the common usage of American to
refer to only people from the United States should be avoided in
international contexts where it might cause confusion. Some find the use
of
American to refer to only the United States offensive, as tending to
disregard the existence of other American nations. Many in Latin America
may
consider it an insult if it is suggested that they are somehow less worthy
of being called American than residents of the USA.

Many folks in the world don't like the USA. And as such, get offended by
almost anything anerican. Maybe it is envy. Whatever. You just can't please
most people.

CW

There seems to be more and more people out there that think it's their
"duty" to find something to be offended by. When I find one of these, I make
it my "duty" to offend them. Keeps them happy.

"Jerry S." wrote in message
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
As many people from the various nations throughout the New World consider
themselves to be "Americans", some think the common usage of American to
refer to only people from the United States should be avoided in
international contexts where it might cause confusion. Some find the use

of
American to refer to only the United States offensive, as tending to
disregard the existence of other American nations. Many in Latin America

may
consider it an insult if it is suggested that they are somehow less worthy
of being called American than residents of the USA.

Bruce Barnett

"Jerry S." writes:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Doug
Miller wrote:

This "we're all Americans" canard is so very old and tired.

But, as much as you may not like to admit it, is technically true.

Maybe, but if you visit another country, and someone asks where you
are from, WHAT do you say?

"United States" - That's technically wrong.
"American" - That's technically wrong

And if you say "I'm from the United States of America" or "US of A"
you sound like a dork.

p.s. If you say "I'm from New York (or whatever)" - that's cheating.

A mathematician and an engineer were arguing over how to ...

Swingman

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

Maybe, but if you visit another country, and someone asks where you
are from, WHAT do you say?

Texas ... and nothing more need be said.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

mrcomp_ca

HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to
address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming desire
to be right, but to clarify.

I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know
many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in fact
have not noticed any difference between them and any other person I
have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical American
around every corner. The same could be said about people seeing
stereotypical Canadians, eh.

My point was; it is simply a flawed response. It's kind of like the
"I'm rubber and you're glue..." response to an insult. "Oh
yea...Well you're an American too." Contrary to what is portrayed on
some US newscasts. I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't
always understand the politics, but I don't have to.

------
Sean ( A Canadian who watches way to much TV and all of the good stuff
comes from the US)

Morris Dovey

mrcomp_ca expostulated:

| HI Jerry, my intention was to just let this drop, but I wanted to
| address your last comment. Not because I have an overwhelming
| desire to be right, but to clarify.

Good comment. Communication does seem to go to hell when being right
becomes more important than being accurate....

| I was not and am not offended and did not find it derogatory. I know
| many Americans and I work with many Americans. I have no issue; in
| fact have not noticed any difference between them and any other
| person I have met. Sure, there are people that see a stereotypical
| American around every corner. The same could be said about people
| seeing stereotypical Canadians, eh.

Most people on both sides of the border (any border) aren't very
visible - and, by and large, the visible ones tend to be non-typical
(else why would anyone notice them?)

| I'm proud of my American neighbours. I don't
| always understand the politics, but I don't have to.

Works both ways. On a visit to France a while back I was asked a
couple of times if I was Canadian - and felt complimented (and was
still no less proud to be an American.)

FWIW, I don't always understand our politics either - but then it
would seem that (especially) politicians aren't always rational.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Dave Balderstone

In article , Jerry S.
wrote:

But, as much as you may not like to admit it, is technically true.

It's "technically true" that a Blue Jay has no blue pigment in its
feathers. Who gives a flying ****?

Plonk.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Jerry S.
wrote:

But, as much as you may not like to admit it, is technically true.

It's "technically true" that a Blue Jay has no blue pigment in its
feathers. Who gives a flying ****?

IIRC Golden Eagles.

--

FF

Charlie Self

Morris Dovey wrote:

FWIW, I don't always understand our politics either - but then it
would seem that (especially) politicians aren't always rational.

Oh, no. The politicians are rational. But their deviousness is so
convoluted, understanding is difficult, or at least requires the same
somewhat odd twists of thought they, and their handlers, use. But,
rationally, they want to get elected. Of course, that doesn't apply to
clowns like Ralph Nader, who want to keep others from getting elected.

TheNewGuy

Bruce Barnett wrote:

Maybe, but if you visit another country, and someone asks where you
are from, WHAT do you say?

When we were in France last year for 3 weeks, we said, "California."

:^)

It was also the logical answer from the point-of-view that most of our
time there was in the wine regions (intentionally), and it got the
conversation going (as much as it could w/ our broken French and their
broken English) in the viticultural / eonological direction.

-Chris

Rob Fargher

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Doug
Miller wrote:

Many people who read and contribute to this group are citizens of Canada.
Let's ask them: do you guys "consider [your]selves to be 'Americans'" or
Canadians?

I'm a Canadian. I'm not an American, and have never played one on
television. Some of my best friends, OTOH, are Americans. I have a
couple of friends who are Chileans, and Peruvians. They are not
Americans, either.

Ah yes, the Canadian Nation Identity (tm): "We're not American, eh!" :-)

--
Cheers,
Rob
Rob Fargher

mrcomp_ca wrote:

I'm a Canadian; this is the first time anyone has called me an
American. I suppose technically speaking everybody in North and South
America is an American.

Well, I live in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, North America. So I
can lay claim to being a North American. Usage has the nomen American to
refer to the inhabitants of the country below us, the Exited States of
America. grinning, ducking and running

I think of myself as being a Canadian. Not a North American and certainly
not an American.

--
Cheers,
Rob
Doug Miller

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:

by and large, the visible ones tend to be non-typical
(else why would anyone notice them?)

An excellent point that has application in many, many areas.

--
Regards,