dustyone

Default which type of pine?

Hello,

My friend has a chest on chest, made of pine, which he wants me to
copy. I don't know whether it's white or yellow. I can tell you
where or when it was made. About the only helpful thing I can say is
that there are no knots visible on the piece. I know that's not much
to go on, but it's all I have. I'll get a local expert to look at it,
but in the meantime, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Maker

Duane Bozarth

Pat Barber wrote:

Try a "finger nail" test... white pine is quite soft
while SYP is NOT. ...quite as soft

New fast-growth syp isn't nearly as hard as the old-growth we all came
to know...

For a furniture piece it's almost certainly not yellow pine.

dustyone wrote:

Hello,

My friend has a chest on chest, made of pine, which he wants me to
copy. I don't know whether it's white or yellow. I can tell you
where or when it was made. About the only helpful thing I can say is
that there are no knots visible on the piece. I know that's not much
to go on, but it's all I have. I'll get a local expert to look at it,
but in the meantime, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Maker

Patriarch

"dustyone" wrote in news:1119011130.478065.187430
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Hello,

My friend has a chest on chest, made of pine, which he wants me to
copy. I don't know whether it's white or yellow. I can tell you
where or when it was made. About the only helpful thing I can say is
that there are no knots visible on the piece. I know that's not much
to go on, but it's all I have. I'll get a local expert to look at it,
but in the meantime, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Maker

You're going to want to start your search for a couple of good sources of
reclaimed pine. What you can easily buy today is not nearly the furniture
wood that was available 50 to 150 years ago.

Look for tight, straight grain, and you can make some nice repro pieces.

Patriarch
Pat Barber

You never know...depends on the age of the piece.

Even the old timers did not care for syp,but they would
use it in "utility" cases and cabinets. Quarter sawn
yellow pine is still available from certain vendors.
The brit crowd tends to love our "yaller pine".

Clear 8/4 for $2.50 is a deal....

http://www.walllumber.com/soft.asp

Might not be pretty but it will be the toughest piece
of furniture in the house.

dustyone wrote:

Hello,

My friend has a chest on chest, made of pine, which he wants me to
copy. I don't know whether it's white or yellow. I can tell you
where or when it was made. About the only helpful thing I can say is
that there are no knots visible on the piece. I know that's not much
to go on, but it's all I have. I'll get a local expert to look at it,
but in the meantime, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Curt Blood
Amateur Furniture Maker

George

"dustyone" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

My friend has a chest on chest, made of pine, which he wants me to
copy. I don't know whether it's white or yellow. I can tell you
where or when it was made. About the only helpful thing I can say is
that there are no knots visible on the piece. I know that's not much
to go on, but it's all I have. I'll get a local expert to look at it,
but in the meantime, can anyone offer a suggestion?

Three types in the lumber lexicon - white, red, and yellow. Yellow and red
pines have pronounced annual rings, white doesn't. Red and yellow stain
strangely, giving a color reversal, tend to have a higher resin content, and
are more prone to splintering than white, especially Pinus strobus, the
eastern white. None of those three qualities recommend them for
furniture-making.

If you have subdued annual rings, it's white. Best of the three anyway.

Search for lumber sellers' sites and you'll have all the pictures you want.

Duane Bozarth

Pat Barber wrote:

{ SYP as furniture wood...)

You never know...depends on the age of the piece.

Still far less likely as the prime specie, I'm thinkin...
Steve Peterson

Please note, the singular of species is "species"; specie is a substitute
for money.

Steve

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Pat Barber wrote:

{ SYP as furniture wood...)

You never know...depends on the age of the piece.

Still far less likely as the prime specie, I'm thinkin...

Duane Bozarth

Steve Peterson wrote:

Please note, the singular of species is "species"; specie is a substitute
for money.

Oh, FO...

Andy McArdle

[...]

Which would you class radiata, besides kindling?

- Andy

George

"Andy McArdle" wrote in message
u...

Which would you class radiata, besides kindling?

Turns OK.

Andy McArdle

Which would you class radiata, besides kindling?

Turns OK.

I'll give it that, I've a young lad with a degenerative hip disease that I'm
teaching to turn although I'm barely one step ahead. I started him off with
radiata 'cos it's both cheap and not easy to get a good finish on w/out
learning tool control.

But I'm sick of the sight of it, it's everywhere. People want timber in
their homes w/out paying big money so I'm installing pine ship-lap, jambs,
picture-rails, you name it. I've always disliked framing my cheaper
cabinets with it and now I'm being asked to make entire kitchens out of
nothing else, including the furniture! Worse, they don't want it stained,
just lacquered! At the end of the day there's no job-satisfaction.; I step
back from a job and see cheap, tacky, coarse-grained... [shudder]

Sorry. I'm feeling better now that I've let it out. Until I start work
tomorrow, anyway. [sigh]

But I was serious about asking what "colour" pine radiata is classed as. It
can range from chalk-white to a cheddar-cheese yellow, often in the same
board, so I'm curious.

- Andy (expert Woodsmith: hammering timber to fit since 1970)

George

"Andy McArdle" wrote in message
u...
But I was serious about asking what "colour" pine radiata is classed as.

It
can range from chalk-white to a cheddar-cheese yellow, often in the same
board, so I'm curious.

- Andy (expert Woodsmith: hammering timber to fit since 1970)

I'm in the middle, not left, so I don't know how the timbermen there
classify it. It appears more a "red" in characteristics, but common-naming
has no firm rules. Or maybe it's so seldom harvested for wood that it's
thrown on any stack.

"Monterey pine wood is light, soft, and coarse grained [35,43]. It is of
little commercial value in the United States except as fuelwood [35].
In other parts of the world it is used for general construction,
flooring, furniture, joinery, plywood, reconstituted panel products, and
paper. " http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/p...inrad/all.html

Andy McArdle

But I was serious about asking what "colour" pine radiata is classed as.
[---8---]
I'm in the middle, not left, so I don't know how the timbermen there
classify it. It appears more a "red" in characteristics, but

common-naming
has no firm rules. Or maybe it's so seldom harvested for wood that it's
thrown on any stack.

"Monterey pine wood is light, soft, and coarse grained [35,43]. It is of
little commercial value in the United States except as fuelwood [35].

Normally thrown on the firewood stack, eh? Even that's too good for it,
'tis too resinous and burns too quickly. Great kindling though

To be honest, the naturally grown trees give some decent timber; old pine
flooring & ship-lap (100+ yo) is fairly tight grained and quite attractive.
Plantation timber can be measured by knots per ft^2 with extremely coarse
grain and I'm sure you can guess which is most prevalent here. [sigh]

In other parts of the world it is used for general construction,
flooring, furniture, joinery, plywood, reconstituted panel products, and
paper. " http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/p...inrad/all.html

Hmmm... thats a handy URL. My reference list grows longer! Thank
you.

- Andy