Robatoy

Default Test your gluing knoweldge.

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

Patriarch

Robatoy wrote in news:design-4DEEDD.23035514062005
@news.bellglobal.com:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

24 of 28, according to them, although I disagree with their answers on 16 &
18.

Patriarch
LRod

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:03:55 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

What a stupid test. Only five true answers out of 28 questions. Test
Taking 101 made it easy as the questions were mostly poorly worded for
an actual test.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

tom

WOODWEB DISCLAIMS any and all RESPONSIBILITY and LIABILITY for the
accuracy and application of the information below.

Doug Miller

:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

24 of 28, according to them, although I disagree with their answers on 16 &
18.

23 of 28 - and I agree with you about 16 and 18.

--
Regards,

Joe C

wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

What a stupid test. Only five true answers out of 28 questions. Test
Taking 101 made it easy as the questions were mostly poorly worded for
an actual test.

--
LRod

Test Taking 101: Any t/f question stated as an absolute is false. This
applied in about 1/2 the questions. And it's a poorly designed website as I
could see the answer to the next question while viewing the current
questions answer without even scrolling down. Guess the designer wasn't
working on a large monitor..... jc

Dave O'Heare

"Robatoy" wrote in message
My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

This "quiz" seems to be a marketing thing from an adhesives seller.

There were, as some other folks have mentioned, some questions that were
very poorly worded.

"All glues are the same; they all work on wood" -- that's two unrelated
statements. And yes, all glues *do* work on wood, just some work very
poorly.

"Yellow glue is strong-White glue is only used by schoolchildren" -- another
pair of not-really-connected statements.

"There is no glue like the old hide glue" -- well, that's true. They said
it's false because there ara other glues that hold stronger.

"Aliphatic glue is superior" -- to what?

"Water based glues are harmful because they will swell and twist wood" --
well, that depends on how much you use, what kind of wood, etc. The answer
uses weasel words: "most", "if".

"Thick glue is better and fills gaps and voids" -- two more unrelated
statements. Better for *what*?

After finding problems in 6 of the first 10 questions, I gave up.

Dave O'Heare, technical writer and pedant
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Charlie Self

Dave O'Heare wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

If you're a writer working for such a company, the marketing
department, even if you're part of it, will do its level best to
pretend you don't exist. But you WILL be blamed for the screw-ups. Been
there. Done that.

I got through four or five questions and went elsewhere to read. It
seems impossible to teach companies that this kind of marketing effort
does more harm than good. It is astonishing when you realize that less
than an hour would have had to been added to the writer's workload to
make the test useful and fun.

Duane Bozarth

Charlie Self wrote:
I got through four or five questions and went elsewhere to read. It
seems impossible to teach companies that this kind of marketing effort
does more harm than good. It is astonishing when you realize that less
than an hour would have had to been added to the writer's workload to
make the test useful and fun.

But, as usual, they were more interested in promoting their agenda...
Leon

Oddly, glue manufacturers in general do no subscribe to the "Glue
Starvation" Theory. Most indicate that you cannot clamp tight enough that
you would actually squeeze all the glue out of the joint. MHO "Glue
Starvation" is simply not having enough glue to cover the entire surface to
start with.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

Leon

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
WOODWEB DISCLAIMS any and all RESPONSIBILITY and LIABILITY for the
accuracy and application of the information below.

Precisely. In particular glue starvation when clamping too tight.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:38:10 +0100, the opaque LRod
spake:

wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

And disinformative, with an obvious bias against air-dried lumber.

What a stupid test. Only five true answers out of 28 questions. Test
Taking 101 made it easy as the questions were mostly poorly worded for
an actual test.

I had to guess the answer to just 1 question (formaldehyde) but scored
only 22. I totally disagreed with 5 of their answers. Who wrote that
test, Vila? (Or some guy in a humidified shop with KD lumber, eh?)

Biscuits/dowels WILL increase edge-gluing strength.

Gluing PROPERLY air-dried lumber is fine. (I answered that one
correctly but disagreed with the text of the question there.)

MANY, MANY shops don't need to be humidified in winter.

Glue performance CAN be easily (failure) tested in the shop, but you
won't have the actual data gathered by a test facility.

Etc, etc.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
David

Yup, that's pretty much the story I got from the Franklin techs. Their
take on the "too much pressure" theory is that if you clamp so tightly
that you damage the wood fibers at the joint, a bond failure is really a
wood failure. Crushed wood will give way under load; not the chemical
bond of the glue to the wood.

Since I don't use a hydraulic press to clamp boards I doubt I've crushed
any wood to the point of joint failure.

Dave

"Robatoy" wrote in message

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

Leon

"David" wrote in message
Yup, that's pretty much the story I got from the Franklin techs. Their
take on the "too much pressure" theory is that if you clamp so tightly
that you damage the wood fibers at the joint, a bond failure is really a
wood failure. Crushed wood will give way under load; not the chemical
bond of the glue to the wood.

Since I don't use a hydraulic press to clamp boards I doubt I've crushed
any wood to the point of joint failure.

LOL, I recall in the umm very late 60's when we mixed Weld Wood glue in shop
class to glue up panels, the pipe clamps would bow under the pressure when
clamping. You absolutely used a scrap piece of wood between the clamp face
and the work to prevent indentation. I still have some of those pieces and
they are holding up just fine.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:36:12 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

And disinformative, with an obvious bias against air-dried lumber.

Well there's a novelty...

What a stupid test. Only five true answers out of 28 questions. Test
Taking 101 made it easy as the questions were mostly poorly worded for
an actual test.

Multi-choice tests are a major factor in dumbing down _everything_, and
the software industry in particular.

You can't educate someone, then test this with a multi-choice test. All
you can do is train them to spot test answers, which is a much easier
and less useful achievement. The multi-choice approach tests _nothing_
in terms of any real understanding, or any ability to react in a useful
manenr to an unexpected situation.

However the testing is cheap, and it encourages 3rd party testing. It's
a great little business to offer, it's just not useful as an educational
tool.

MANY, MANY shops don't need to be humidified in winter.

Mine usually needs to be pumped out.

Robatoy

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

In all fairness to myself, (as I have NO reason EVER to have to be fair
to somebody elseG) if you include 16 and 18, I actually scored 22 out
of 28.
That doesn't take away the fact that I will be spending the rest of the
day removing arrows and bullets, BB's and rubber bands, one spitball,
from under my skin as so many of you like shooting the messenger...G

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.
Duane Bozarth

Andy Dingley wrote:

You can't educate someone, then test this with a multi-choice test. All
you can do is train them to spot test answers, which is a much easier
and less useful achievement. The multi-choice approach tests _nothing_
in terms of any real understanding, or any ability to react in a useful
manenr to an unexpected situation.

However the testing is cheap, and it encourages 3rd party testing. It's
a great little business to offer, it's just not useful as an educational
tool.

The point is to pass the flunkies on their mandatory safety training so
they can clock in--whether they actually know anything about safe
workplace practices is purely a secondary consideration at best at that
point...
John McCoy

(Doug Miller) wrote in
m:

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:
Robatoy wrote in
news:design-4DEEDD.23035514062005 @news.bellglobal.com:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze
through that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

24 of 28, according to them, although I disagree with their answers on
16 & 18.

23 of 28 - and I agree with you about 16 and 18.

Heh. I'd be tempted to say the more questions you got right,
the less you actually know about glue :-)

That's got to be the most absurdly poor test I've ever seen.

Take question 20 - heating the glue line will not speed the
cure. That's false - gently heating an epoxy glue line will
definately speed the cure (it is, in fact, recommended practice
if the air temp is much below 60F).

Or take 28 - glues last forever, there's no shelf life. Again,
that's true for epoxy (per West System) and probably true for
dry hide glue.

John

Leon

"John McCoy" wrote in message

Heh. I'd be tempted to say the more questions you got right,
the less you actually know about glue :-)

LOL

Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.

IIRC Larry is a Kaliefounian.

Patriarch

"Leon" wrote in newsf3se.2190$ks4.1901
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.

IIRC Larry is a Kaliefounian.

Larry is an escaped Kaliefounian, hiding out in the wilds of southern
Oregon. So there are signs of intelligence there.

Patriarch
LRod

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:08:18 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in newsf3se.2190$ks4.1901
:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.

IIRC Larry is a Kaliefounian.

Larry is an escaped Kaliefounian, hiding out in the wilds of southern
Oregon. So there are signs of intelligence there.

Where? Kaliefounia or Oregon?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:55:44 -0400, the opaque Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

In all fairness to myself, (as I have NO reason EVER to have to be fair
to somebody elseG) if you include 16 and 18, I actually scored 22 out
of 28.
That doesn't take away the fact that I will be spending the rest of the
day removing arrows and bullets, BB's and rubber bands, one spitball,
from under my skin as so many of you like shooting the messenger...G

Sufferin' slings and arrows of live, wot? Pobrecito!

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.

I also carry counterfit Aussie (Goodonya) and Brit (wot?) licenses,
and can type fluently with Asian Indian, Messican, and Eyetalyun
accents, among others. The fact that I'm quintradextrous should have
been a dead giveaway, Rob. I'm a mild mannered USAtian spy! titter

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:57:09 GMT, the opaque "Leon"
spake:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I noticed Larry Jaques using the 'EH?' expression. Either he's Canadian,
or he is an imposter with a counterfeit 'EH' license. I do need to get
to the bottom of this.

IIRC Larry is a Kaliefounian.

Ex-pat Californicator to you, bubba. Now that I'm in SoOregon, I'm a
budding Webfoot.

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Steve knight

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:23:48 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

24 of 28, according to them, although I disagree with their answers on 16 &
18.

me too. I use air dried lumber all the time.
John McCoy

Leon wrote:
Oddly, glue manufacturers in general do no subscribe to the "Glue
Starvation" Theory. Most indicate that you cannot clamp tight enough
that you would actually squeeze all the glue out of the joint. MHO
"Glue Starvation" is simply not having enough glue to cover the
entire surface to start with.

For PVA glues I'd agree with you. For epoxy I wouldn't, you can
definately overclamp and squeeze enough glue out of the joint to
get a failure. The same is probably true for other glues which
have some gap-filling ability (e.g. poly glues).

John
Duane Bozarth

John McCoy wrote:

Leon wrote:
Oddly, glue manufacturers in general do no subscribe to the "Glue
Starvation" Theory. Most indicate that you cannot clamp tight enough
that you would actually squeeze all the glue out of the joint. MHO
"Glue Starvation" is simply not having enough glue to cover the
entire surface to start with.

For PVA glues I'd agree with you. For epoxy I wouldn't, you can
definately overclamp and squeeze enough glue out of the joint to
get a failure. The same is probably true for other glues which
have some gap-filling ability (e.g. poly glues).

I've noticed w/ Type III it's easier to end up w/ a dry joint than w/
Type I or II...not from normal panel-type glue up from just clamping
pressure so much, but in the "stick on a piece" scenario like a glue
block--seems easier to "mush it out" and end up w/ not enough in the
right places to me...
Todd the wood junkie

Wow, 17 out of 28. Looks like I won't be putting any kind of
'certification' on my resume

Does it mean you are considered really 'slick' if you flunk an adhesion
test?

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Todd the wood junkie" wrote:

Wow, 17 out of 28. Looks like I won't be putting any kind of
'certification' on my resume

Does it mean you are considered really 'slick' if you flunk an adhesion
test?

It's one thing to claim certification, but another to make it stick.

(sorry.. that was tacky)

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:03:55 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

My score wasn't great..20 out of 28.. I thought I would breeze through
that one..

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...knowledge.html

Informative

23 of 28, but really disagreed with 3 questions at a minimum, a couple of
others, stated as absolutes didn't seem right either.

That was the most painful interface for a test I've seen for a while:
click the answer, have to click "back" to get back to the test, then scroll
down to the next question (assuming you remembered which one you had just
answered). The latter was at least true with Mozilla.

Resetting controller on Ariston dishwasher bob Home Ownership 2 December 5th 06 09:56 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM