David

Default Put my DP's new blower to good use

A week or two ago I installed a compressed air line next to the chuck of
my DP (1/4" copper tubing). I posted pics on abpw. Yesterday I gave it
a good workout on a repetitive series of drillings. Drill a hole; step
on the switch to clear the table. Repeat for each work piece. No more
fiddling with large chips of wood that prevent the next piece from
laying flat against the fence.

I wrenched my shoulder congratulating myself for finally getting the air
line installed. Should have done it when I installed the overhead air
reel about a year ago. Sometimes I procrastinate too much.

Dave
Lee Michaels

"David" wrote

I wrenched my shoulder congratulating myself for finally getting the air
line installed. Should have done it when I installed the overhead air
reel about a year ago. Sometimes I procrastinate too much.

LOL. Would that be considered a work related injury?

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:31:35 -0700, David wrote:

A week or two ago I installed a compressed air line next to the chuck of
my DP (1/4" copper tubing). I posted pics on abpw. Yesterday I gave it
a good workout on a repetitive series of drillings. Drill a hole; step
on the switch to clear the table. Repeat for each work piece. No more
fiddling with large chips of wood that prevent the next piece from
laying flat against the fence.

I didn't see the original post, but want to mention the caution to
keep the air pressure low (like 30 lbs, I think) when using it to blow
chips. High pressure is a good way to blow chips into your eyes.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Upscale

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

I didn't see the original post, but want to mention the caution to
keep the air pressure low (like 30 lbs, I think) when using it to blow
chips. High pressure is a good way to blow chips into your eyes.

Wouldn't it be prudent to use some type of flexible tubing and aim it to
blow away from the users eyes? If anything, eye protection should be worn
anyway. I've seen little chips from drilling (wood or metal) shoot out at an
alarming speed.

mac davis

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:45:59 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

I didn't see the original post, but want to mention the caution to
keep the air pressure low (like 30 lbs, I think) when using it to blow
chips. High pressure is a good way to blow chips into your eyes.

Wouldn't it be prudent to use some type of flexible tubing and aim it to
blow away from the users eyes? If anything, eye protection should be worn
anyway. I've seen little chips from drilling (wood or metal) shoot out at an
alarming speed.

well, I've spent most of my life thinking that sucking is better than blowing,
so I use the DC with a tapered collector on the DP...
The air setup looks workable, and will help, but I'm constantly trying to get
the dust OUT of the shop/air, so I don't want to blow it off the DP and have to
clean it up (or breath it) later.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

David

The chips land to the right of the DP in a small area. I step on the
valve for a 1/2 second and "poof", the area around the chuck and fence
are free of chips. We aren't talking powdery fine dust that blows all
over the shop. Once or twice a day, a quick vacuuming of about 4 square
feet cleans up the debris from the DP. (There's a wall close to the DP,
so the debris can't go far) It's not as messy as you might expect.

Dave

mac davis wrote:

[...]

Leon

"David" wrote in message
The chips land to the right of the DP in a small area. I step on the
valve for a 1/2 second and "poof", the area around the chuck and fence are
free of chips. We aren't talking powdery fine dust that blows all over
the shop. Once or twice a day, a quick vacuuming of about 4 square feet
cleans up the debris from the DP. (There's a wall close to the DP, so the
debris can't go far) It's not as messy as you might expect.

Yeah but, with a vac you use no effort between holes and less to clean up.
I strap my shop vac hose to the DP near the bit and take care of it once and
for all while drilling.

David

My shop vac can't remove chips 6 or more inches away from the nozzle. A
vacuum won't pull from very far from the end of the nozzle, so I don't
agree that a shop vac, mounted to the DP will be effective, nor will
it's usage be reduced to "zero time", as my little add-on, since it's
foot activated. I don't break my "stride" while drilling, to get a
blast of air.

Dave

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

The chips land to the right of the DP in a small area. I step on the
valve for a 1/2 second and "poof", the area around the chuck and fence are
free of chips. We aren't talking powdery fine dust that blows all over
the shop. Once or twice a day, a quick vacuuming of about 4 square feet
cleans up the debris from the DP. (There's a wall close to the DP, so the
debris can't go far) It's not as messy as you might expect.

Yeah but, with a vac you use no effort between holes and less to clean up.
I strap my shop vac hose to the DP near the bit and take care of it once and
for all while drilling.

mac davis

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:00:17 -0700, David wrote:

The chips land to the right of the DP in a small area. I step on the
valve for a 1/2 second and "poof", the area around the chuck and fence
are free of chips. We aren't talking powdery fine dust that blows all
over the shop. Once or twice a day, a quick vacuuming of about 4 square
feet cleans up the debris from the DP. (There's a wall close to the DP,
so the debris can't go far) It's not as messy as you might expect.

Dave

that sounds workable...
I might have to "rube goldberg" it a bit.. maybe some kinda net or bag for the
shavings to blow into??

mac davis wrote:

[...]

Upscale

"mac davis" wrote in message
I might have to "rube goldberg" it a bit.. maybe some kinda net or bag for

the
shavings to blow into??

Perhaps a big box fan blowing into some type of filtered net, pillow slip or
container of some type? Should be relative easy to set up.

David

My God, this is getting out of hand! I can't understand why all the
hoopla over a bunch of wood chips on the floor next to the DP. Don't
you guys make sawdust in your shops without stressing over it? I spend
about a 1/2 minute or less with the shop vac cleaning up after a project
at the DP. Without the blower, the same mess is there, but the chips
are in the way (between fence and work piece) as I switch/move work
pieces. Wiping them away is problematic, and blowing them away with my
own lung power gets the stuff in my face. The air line method works
great for me. No one else need duplicate my idea if it's all that
unsettling.

Dave

Upscale wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message

I might have to "rube goldberg" it a bit.. maybe some kinda net or bag for

the

shavings to blow into??

Perhaps a big box fan blowing into some type of filtered net, pillow slip or
container of some type? Should be relative easy to set up.

mac davis

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
I might have to "rube goldberg" it a bit.. maybe some kinda net or bag for

the
shavings to blow into??

Perhaps a big box fan blowing into some type of filtered net, pillow slip or
container of some type? Should be relative easy to set up.

or maybe he could get Bill, with his double gloat, to stand near the DP and
attract the dust??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:35:08 -0700, David wrote:

My God, this is getting out of hand! I can't understand why all the
hoopla over a bunch of wood chips on the floor next to the DP. Don't
you guys make sawdust in your shops without stressing over it? I spend
about a 1/2 minute or less with the shop vac cleaning up after a project
at the DP. Without the blower, the same mess is there, but the chips
are in the way (between fence and work piece) as I switch/move work
pieces. Wiping them away is problematic, and blowing them away with my
own lung power gets the stuff in my face. The air line method works
great for me. No one else need duplicate my idea if it's all that
unsettling.

Dave

Relax, Dave...
nobody is jumping on you, just responding to your post..
the advantage that I see of air over DC or vac is noise level, assuming that
your compressor is loud and close to the dp..

I don't mind the DC noise on the DP, as it's a shopsmith and louder than the
DC..
I stopped using it on the band saw because with the DC running, I can't hear the
BS... not good if you're resawing a 12" log and want to make sure that the BS
isn't binding or lugging down...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

David

I don't think anyone was jumping on me. I think some guys are
perceiving that the compressed air makes more of a mess than it really
does, that's all. It is a solution that I wish I'd come up with a long
time ago. The compressor doesn't run often enough to bother me unless I
open the valve to let air blow constantly at the DP. The 1 second
blasts use next to no air from a 30 gal tank.

Dave