Michael Billings

Default Laserkerf

I'm thinking of getting a "laserkerf" etrofit laser guide for my Bosch 3915
sliding miter saw.
So far I'm likely looking at the battery powered, thin kerf version (one
less power cord and I use a Freud thin kerf blade more often than not).
I'm hoping for a response from someone that has this particular set up.
Also, when I went to the Laserkerf site, I didn't like the way they had the
laser set up on the Bosch 3915. I'd rather mount it on the slide casing
(where the blade guard mounts and hinges from the saw base).
It looks like I'd have to use one or even two mounting brackets to achieve
this?
Maybe I already have all the info I need. But, there is always more to know.

Thanks,

Mike Billings

*HMFIC@1369*

The laser is a gimmic...... it looks cool, but is virtually worthless. I
think LED's that light up the work surface is a much more useful then the
laser. I will always draw the blade down and check alignment before I cut,
no matter what the laser tells me...................

The only laser's I feel are of any value are the leveling ones. I have a
Rigid compound miter with the laser, just can't use it, when cutting
expensive stock. I guess if I was just rough cutting a lot of wood at
different lengths then the laser might speed things up, but not when
accuracy is concerned.

"Michael Billings" wrote in message
[...]

SonomaProducts.com

I like lasers for one reason, I can see if I am going to cut-off my
finger.

I do a lot of production (repetitiive) cuts and sometimes they are
smaller pieces being cut at oblique angles and I often need to reach in
pretty close to the cut zone so that little red line is a nice double
check to make sure I am safe.

BW

Al Miller

I had the Laserkerf on my Dewalt 12" and found it totally worthless. Zero
clearance insert is the only way to go. A small chip of wood flew into the
laser and broke the lens allowing sawdust to enter. I sent it back to the
maker with no results what so ever. After many e-mails they finally sent it
back ,UNrepaired. Not the kind of people I like to deal with.

My 2 cents,
Al in WA
--

"Michael Billings" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a "laserkerf" etrofit laser guide for my Bosch
3915 sliding miter saw.
So far I'm likely looking at the battery powered, thin kerf version (one
less power cord and I use a Freud thin kerf blade more often than not).
I'm hoping for a response from someone that has this particular set up.
Also, when I went to the Laserkerf site, I didn't like the way they had
the laser set up on the Bosch 3915. I'd rather mount it on the slide
casing (where the blade guard mounts and hinges from the saw base).
It looks like I'd have to use one or even two mounting brackets to achieve
this?
Maybe I already have all the info I need. But, there is always more to
know.

Thanks,

Mike Billings

I've seen a laser guide for a drill press advertised. Has anyone had
any experience with these? I think it would be incredibly useful IF (a
BIG "if") it worked.

John

If is a laser you chuck into the drillpress chuck, they work
great

The lasers that are mouted away from the chuck - they are major pain
the butt. You have to either chuck ALL your drill bits in with
EXACTLY the same length of drill bit exposed, or you wind up having to
adjust for each and every drill bit you chuck up

I tried both, I kept the laser that chuck into the chuck to give you
an accurate point no matter what length of drill bit you have exposed
One extra step. but if setting up a jig to hold the workpieces
(assuming multiple workpieces need to be drilled) the laser you chuck
is the best one.

John

On 6 Jun 2005 10:41:52 -0700, wrote:

I've seen a laser guide for a drill press advertised. Has anyone had
any experience with these? I think it would be incredibly useful IF (a
BIG "if") it worked.

I tried both, I kept the laser that chuck into the chuck to give you
an accurate point no matter what length of drill bit you have exposed
One extra step. but if setting up a jig to hold the workpieces
(assuming multiple workpieces need to be drilled) the laser you chuck
is the best one.

That's what I figured and why I haven't bought one. I imagine a fixed
version could be engineered using two planar lasers that crossed each
other along the axis of the drill press (thus being height independent,
but that would be complicated. It would also be WAY COOL! It would
project cross hairs anywhere you put the workpiece.

I had not seen or heard of the chuck mounted version. You're right,
that's the way to go, and would be the most useful for setting up jigs.
For most one-time operations, it's pretty easy to set up just using the
desired bit.

Tom