Stacey

Default How to position/hold furntiure while stainging

Ok.. now that the furniture is clean of dust.. I should say I am making a
bed. Mission style. Headboard/footboard, side rails. I am use a gel stain.
How do I position say the headboard so I stain everything evenly. Doesn't
seem like putting it on my sawhorses even though they are clean is a good
idea. It seems like that would mess up the finish. I could say, stand the
headboard on its legs and stain it... just not sure what is the *right* way
here..

thanks

David

If the back doesn't have to be PERFECT, just set some nails part way
into some boards. Stain the back first, wipe off, and then flip it over
onto the nails and then stain the front and sides.

Dave

Stacey wrote:

Ok.. now that the furniture is clean of dust.. I should say I am making a
bed. Mission style. Headboard/footboard, side rails. I am use a gel stain.
How do I position say the headboard so I stain everything evenly. Doesn't
seem like putting it on my sawhorses even though they are clean is a good
idea. It seems like that would mess up the finish. I could say, stand the
headboard on its legs and stain it... just not sure what is the *right* way
here..

thanks

Leon

"Stacey" wrote in message
Ok.. now that the furniture is clean of dust.. I should say I am making a
bed. Mission style. Headboard/footboard, side rails. I am use a gel
stain. How do I position say the headboard so I stain everything evenly.
Doesn't seem like putting it on my sawhorses even though they are clean is
a good idea. It seems like that would mess up the finish. I could say,
stand the headboard on its legs and stain it... just not sure what is the
*right* way here..

If you are using a gel stain, dust or positioning should not matter. I use
gel stains and because you are suppose to wipe the excess off as you go
there surface will typically be dry to touch with in 3 or 4 minutes of
wiping off the excess. After staining I immediately set the pieces down on
pieces of scrap wood. Practice on a few scrap pieces to determine how much
care you will need to take.

Bigpole

Have you got room enough to put the bet together and stain it that way?
If you don't have enough room, make a set of short side rails (long
enough for you to get between the head and foot boards) put the bed
together and stain.

Ted

foggytown

Leave it alone and tell everyone you went for the "rustic" look.

FoggyTown