Swingman

Default DJM's favorite finish?

Who is the manufacturer of the "tung" oil/ poly finish that DJM so proudly
slathers on everything?

I would recognize (back of) the can if I ever saw it, but I've never seen
anything remotely resembling it in a woodworking store. It is supposedly
"commercially available".

Although I usually use a "sam maloof" type mixture for those applications, I
am mildly interested because I have been archiving DJM's show off DVR onto
DVD and have seen the (back of) can a number of times here lately.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

George

"Swingman" wrote in message
Who is the manufacturer of the "tung" oil/ poly finish that DJM so proudly
slathers on everything?

I would recognize (back of) the can if I ever saw it, but I've never seen
anything remotely resembling it in a woodworking store. It is supposedly
"commercially available".

Although I usually use a "sam maloof" type mixture for those applications,

am mildly interested because I have been archiving DJM's show off DVR onto
DVD and have seen the (back of) can a number of times here lately.

Odds are it's OEM from someone's factory with a supplier label.

Tom Watson

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:57:21 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Who is the manufacturer of the "tung" oil/ poly finish that DJM so proudly
slathers on everything?

I would recognize (back of) the can if I ever saw it, but I've never seen
anything remotely resembling it in a woodworking store. It is supposedly
"commercially available".

Although I usually use a "sam maloof" type mixture for those applications, I
am mildly interested because I have been archiving DJM's show off DVR onto
DVD and have seen the (back of) can a number of times here lately.

http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/W...hane_46687.asp

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Mike S.

The following is from DJ Marks website under faqs.
-----------------------
I have tried various methods of mixing linseed oil and tung oil in the past,
but since the mid 80's I've been using a product called Seal-A-Cell and
Arm-R-Seal made by the General Finishes Company and available through mail
order as well as from Woodcraft.

Since doing the first six seasons of Woodworks, this finish has been
improved and no longer has the make-up stated in the show. I use two
products starting with a sealer and finishing with a top coat. Company
representatives state the sealer (which is clear but also available in
different colored stains) is a blend of modified linseed oil, oil modified
urethane, and alkyd resin, and dryers. The topcoat I use is called
Arm-R-Seal and is now an oil modified urethane with dryers. The Arm-R-Seal
is available in gloss, semi gloss, and satin.
-----------------------

--
Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm
"Swingman" wrote in message
Who is the manufacturer of the "tung" oil/ poly finish that DJM so proudly
slathers on everything?

I would recognize (back of) the can if I ever saw it, but I've never seen
anything remotely resembling it in a woodworking store. It is supposedly
"commercially available".

Although I usually use a "sam maloof" type mixture for those applications,
am mildly interested because I have been archiving DJM's show off DVR onto
DVD and have seen the (back of) can a number of times here lately.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Lee DeRaud

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:08:19 GMT, "Mike S."
wrote:

The following is from DJ Marks website under faqs.
-----------------------
I have tried various methods of mixing linseed oil and tung oil in the past,
but since the mid 80's I've been using a product called Seal-A-Cell and
Arm-R-Seal made by the General Finishes Company and available through mail
order as well as from Woodcraft.

Rockler has it also.

Lee

Mike S.

Here's the link to DJ Marks FAQ's.
http://www.djmarks.com/channels/djmfaq.asp

--
Mike S.
http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

Lee DeRaud

On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:44:29 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:19:21 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Odds are it's OEM from someone's factory with a supplier label.

Imagine if it's Minwax? G

Oh good grief...

It isn't. And it's not like he's keeping it a secret either:
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/W...hane_46687.asp

Lee

Swingman

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message

Oh good grief...

It isn't. And it's not like he's keeping it a secret either:

http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/W...hane_46687.asp

Thanks ... as I've yet to hear him mention the application of two different
products/finishes, that clears up the mystery of how he gets that consistent
appearance from piece- to-piece with his proverbial "4 or 5 coats of tung
oil" or "hand rubbed oil finish" that he repeats like a mantra at the end of
most segments.

I've bought General Finishes products, but have not used the clear Arm R
Seal and did not recognize the back of the can I've seen in some segments
(he usually has it in a jar) as a GF product.

I wonder if Arm R Seal holds up its appearance over the years better than
what I consider a more traditional "hand rubbed oil finish", a la the sam
maloof type, which tends to dull over time unless reapplied periodically?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Lee DeRaud

On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:47:30 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

I've bought General Finishes products, but have not used the clear Arm R
Seal and did not recognize the back of the can I've seen in some segments
(he usually has it in a jar) as a GF product.

I've been using the Prelude line for years and been quite happy with
it...turns out it's a GF product also. Don't know when it happened,
but either (1) GF stopped making it, (2) they can't sell it in
California anymore (which has happened with many other products), or
(3) Rockler just quit carrying it. We'll see how this "new" stuff
works.

Lee
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:47:30 -0500, the inscrutable "Swingman"
spake:

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message

[...]

My froe handle has 4 coats of Waterlox on it. It looks the same now as
it did 5 years ago when I built it. (4 or 5 uses plus bouncing around
in the shop for half a decade.

"Protection" is highly overrated (a buzzword) and 95% of your projects
will never need anything nearly as tough as a poly/urethane (plastic)
finish. Improperly applied (as most poly is) it looks like the piece
has been wrapped in Saran.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Leon

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:47:30 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

I've bought General Finishes products, but have not used the clear Arm R
Seal and did not recognize the back of the can I've seen in some segments
(he usually has it in a jar) as a GF product.

I've been using the Prelude line for years and been quite happy with
it...turns out it's a GF product also. Don't know when it happened,
but either (1) GF stopped making it, (2) they can't sell it in
California anymore (which has happened with many other products), or
(3) Rockler just quit carrying it. We'll see how this "new" stuff
works.

I started using Prelude in 1978 and progressed to Bartleys and several years
ago started using General Finishes. I too was un aware that GF make the
Prelude line of finishes until a few years age. At that time the GF web
side listed Prelude, however it does not now.
http://www.generalfinishes.com/index.htm

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Ownership 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM