Highland Pairos

Default Secondary wood use

I was looking over some plans for a cherry end table recently and I noticed
that they specified 3/4 cherry to make the drawer box and cherry ply for the
drawer bottom. Isn't that a little excessive. I thought it was pretty much
the norm to use a secondary wood for drawer carcasses. Does it
substantially detract from the piece if the drawer is not cherry?

SteveP.

Depends on your taste, actually. I use Baltic/Russian/cabply for my
drawer bottoms, and depending on the piece, for shelves, etc.

Are you going to be leaving the drawers empty and open for all to see?
If so, then buy the Baltic/Russian/cabply and put some kind of colored
finish or stain on it.

Oh yeah... if you really want some help maknig up your mind, take a
look at the price of a sheet of 3/4" cherry solid core plywood. Here
in South Texas it is about $100 a sheet.

Robert

Edwin Pawlowski

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I was looking over some plans for a cherry end table recently and I noticed
that they specified 3/4 cherry to make the drawer box and cherry ply for
the drawer bottom. Isn't that a little excessive. I thought it was pretty
much the norm to use a secondary wood for drawer carcasses. Does it
substantially detract from the piece if the drawer is not cherry?

SteveP.

Matter of opinion and personal preference. Is your house furnished with
IKEA stuff or antique Chippendale pieces? It comes down to practicality
versus cost. Most people will never see the drawer box. Chances are, you
will rarely see it yourself as drawers are no usually left hanging open.
There is no reason you can't use cheaper materials, but there is no reason
not to use it as a bragging point when you show off your finished piece to
friends.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 27 May 2005 04:47:42 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

I was looking over some plans for a cherry end table recently and I noticed
that they specified 3/4 cherry to make the drawer box and cherry ply for the
drawer bottom. Isn't that a little excessive.

I wouldn't disagree.

Although for an "end table" you're quite possibly using some big pieces
of cherry to make the top and main carcase, then fitting one small
drawer to it. The drawer box might just not be that much timber in
addition.

I thought it was pretty much
the norm to use a secondary wood for drawer carcasses.

For one thing, it contrasts with the timber of the drawer front, which
may highlight nice joinery there. That's a fairly modern view, but not
unreasonable.

Personally I like to use maple for drawer runners, as a wear issue. If
this means making the whole drawer sides from maple, then so be it.
Maple is one of those timbers (especially UK grades) where much of it's
only fit for secondary wood anyway, so it's not as if I'm losing fine
timber.

Highland Pairos

Thanks for confirming what I thought. My lumber supplier only sells full
sheets, so I can eliminate one. And the rest of the drawer eliminates a few
board feet of solid wood. Then there's my long view ecological side that
says the supply of cherry is dwindling, so why use it when it isn't
necessary. As far as bragging rights, this will be my first furniture piece
(everything has been built-ins and cabinets so far) so just getting it done
in a satisfactory manner will be adequate bragging for now.

Thanks,

SteveP.
"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I was looking over some plans for a cherry end table recently and I noticed
that they specified 3/4 cherry to make the drawer box and cherry ply for
the drawer bottom. Isn't that a little excessive. I thought it was pretty
much the norm to use a secondary wood for drawer carcasses. Does it
substantially detract from the piece if the drawer is not cherry?

SteveP.

Prometheus

wrote:

I was looking over some plans for a cherry end table recently and I noticed
that they specified 3/4 cherry to make the drawer box and cherry ply for the
drawer bottom. Isn't that a little excessive. I thought it was pretty much
the norm to use a secondary wood for drawer carcasses. Does it
substantially detract from the piece if the drawer is not cherry?

I don't think so. I often use whatever odds and ends are laying
around, since I don't leave drawers sticking out when I'm not using
them! The last drawer I made was out of 1/2 standard pine ply from
Menards, and no one has said boo about it yet- the outside of the
table was good maple, and that's what you see when you look at it.

Of course, YMMV.