foggytown

Default Making a fireplace

I have it in mind to make a fireplace surround/mantle. I've been
looking at different woods and black walnut seems a good prospect,
perhaps with some accents/trim in a lighter wood like chestnut or oak.
(I toyed with zebrano for a while but that's just TOO quirky!)

The fireplace is non-functional so heat shouldn't be a concern. But
does anyone have any views on working with walnut or its properties
from a finishing or stability standpoint?

FoggyTown

Charlie Self

foggytown wrote:
I have it in mind to make a fireplace surround/mantle. I've been
looking at different woods and black walnut seems a good prospect,
perhaps with some accents/trim in a lighter wood like chestnut or

oak.
(I toyed with zebrano for a while but that's just TOO quirky!)

The fireplace is non-functional so heat shouldn't be a concern. But
does anyone have any views on working with walnut or its properties
from a finishing or stability standpoint?

FoggyTown

Walnut is one of the premier U.S. furniture hardwoods. It's stable when
dry, finishes exceptionally well (may need slight pore filling), glues
well, works beautifully.

jim

Walnut is a great wood. Very stable & pretty. I was at a luncheon at the
Engineer's Club in Baltimore a year or two ago & they have a room all done
in Walnut paneling with a fireplace. Absolutely gorgeous. It's common at
the local mills around here so I've used it most of my life. I do recommend
a dust mask with it. I've noticed that my sinuses are getting pretty
sensitive to it & you can't use the sawdust for horse bedding. Fairly toxic
stuff in it.

Jim

Andy Dingley

On 21 May 2005 16:59:49 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

does anyone have any views on working with walnut

Walnut, even the American walnut, is one of the top end timbers to use,
with a pricetag to match. It also has historical connotations of fine
furniture, rather than house trim.

You could certainly use it. It'll work, it has no bad habits and it's
lovely stuff to work with - particularly if you're thinking of mouldings
or carvings. However it'll cost you serious money. IMHO, walnut is a
timber one shouldn't dive straight into unless your skills are at the
stage where you _know_ you can make a good job of any project you take
on, not just improve as you do them.

There's also the finished product. It may well look a little
"overdressed" for many rooms. Personally I'd be using oak, which gives a
lovely finish on mantelpieces when flat sawn and ammonia fumed.
foggytown

Thanks for the responses. I just had a notion that walnut would make
an interesting choice for a surround. My wife wants a dark wood and
teak, oak and mahogany etc are overdone. If anyone has any
recommendations I'd be happy to know them. Maybe purpleheart if I can
convince her to change the color scheme of the entire room! (Nah!)

FoggyTown

Tom Banes

On 21 May 2005 16:59:49 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

The fireplace is non-functional so heat shouldn't be a concern. But
does anyone have any views on working with walnut or its properties
from a finishing or stability standpoint?

FoggyTown

Walnut is an absolute pleasure to work with. I'm a beginning "woodie"
but have spent time making gunstocks from walnut blanks and
semi-inletted stocks. If you want to see what wlanut can look like, I
put a few pics at

http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/ind...l/Gunstock.htm

Maybe I'll learn to build stuff too!

Regards.

CrackedHands

Nice work on the gunstock! What kind of oil finish did you used?
I worked with walnut on the previous project. But if I use clear finish
on it, the tone would be too "cool". I have to add a tint of red dye
to it to warm it up a bit. Do you have to do that?

Tom Banes

On 26 May 2005 16:57:44 -0700, "CrackedHands"
wrote:

Nice work on the gunstock! What kind of oil finish did you used?
I worked with walnut on the previous project. But if I use clear finish
on it, the tone would be too "cool". I have to add a tint of red dye
to it to warm it up a bit. Do you have to do that?

Thanks for the compliment.

The oil finish I used is a commercial finish made for gunstocks called
Pilkington's Classic. It can be ordered from Brownells and a few other
specialty suppliers. This stock was done with the "Red Brown" finish,
so I assume it has some red dye in it. I know that the "Gold & Brown"
version is much cooler, leaving walnut almost an aged maple colour.
The red die, in my mind, highlights really nice grain patterns in high
grade walnut (this stock is Grade 4, one step beloe Exhibition Grade),
while the yellow makes less attractive wood sort of soothing - the eye
doesn't pick up on the less than striking grain patterns as quickly.

gas fireplace - wiring question Hamilton Audio Home Repair 6 January 6th 05 01:33 AM
Fireplace Woes Chris Walton UK diy 2 January 5th 05 09:38 PM
Suggestions on removing paint from INSIDE of a fireplace firebox? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 3rd 05 11:16 PM
Limestone Fireplace - chips [email protected] UK diy 0 January 16th 04 07:32 PM
Standard fireplace width? ian mayo UK diy 4 October 3rd 03 07:44 AM