CNT

Default Karate? LOL

I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD" LOL

Chuck
jo4hn

CNT wrote:

I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD" LOL

Chuck

If we are talking about a 1" thick by 1' square board, it's one of those
that is easily breakable. Support it on the edges and give it a lusty
whack along the grain with your fist (head, foot...) and it will break.
Sorta like crushing an aluminum beer can in your manly hand. :-)
gronk,
jo4hn

My teacher (Wing Chung) said that it taked about 6 lb. of pressure to
break this type of board, about what it takes to break a rib. I tried a
12x12x1 inch piece of ash. It takes a whole lot more pressure to break
robo hippy

Charles Krug

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:04:39 GMT, jo4hn wrote:
CNT wrote:

I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD" LOL

Chuck

If we are talking about a 1" thick by 1' square board, it's one of those
that is easily breakable. Support it on the edges and give it a lusty
whack along the grain with your fist (head, foot...) and it will break.
Sorta like crushing an aluminum beer can in your manly hand. :-)
gronk,
jo4hn

"Breaking boards" are cut with the long dimension cross-grain and are
made of pine.

Pine will hurt you if you wimp out . . . most of the battle in breaking
boards is not stopping. LONG ago in Engineering Physics, we watched a
high speed film of successful and unsuccessful "breaking" attempts.

In an unsuccessful attempt, the board vibrates back into the hand
striking it.

But so long as you strike THROUGH, you'll succeed.

Block is similar. Watch Side Kicks (if you must) or any big Martial
Arts demo. They break 8" block across the weak dimension.

When they break 12" solid cast footing, I'll be impressed.

Ian Wheeler

Having a daughter who's been involved in TaeKwonDo for several years, I've
held many a board in tournements and testings. I can assure you they dont
all break easy. When your holding 8 boards (12*12*1) while a 200 lb 18 year
old takes 6 attempts to break them your wrists end up in bad shape. The kick
that finally breaks them feels so easy compared to the others - got to hit
right in the middle and drive through.

And if they miss and crush your fingures.............

Ian

"jo4hn" wrote in message
ink.net...
CNT wrote:

I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD"
LOL

Chuck

If we are talking about a 1" thick by 1' square board, it's one of those
that is easily breakable. Support it on the edges and give it a lusty
whack along the grain with your fist (head, foot...) and it will break.
Sorta like crushing an aluminum beer can in your manly hand. :-)
gronk,
jo4hn

Vic Baron

Sorta like crushing an aluminum beer can in your manly hand. :-)
gronk,

REAL men crush them in their butt cheeks.

I thought that was walnuts?

Upscale

"CNT" wrote in message
I bought a 1x12x12 pine board. On the receipt, it is "PINE KARATE BRD" LOL

I'll be it's wide grained and has no knots. Typical of what they used when
there was a demonstration day in the club I attended. I have to admit, I
miss the people I met there. Friendliest and most sociable people you'd ever
want to meet.

Upscale

"Vic Baron" wrote in message newsG9ie.1889

REAL men crush them in their butt cheeks.

REAL men have a can crusher so they can work faster and get them back to the
beer store to cash them in and buy more beer.

Upscale

"mac davis" wrote in message

and it's really hard on the side of your hand.. DAMHIK

That's why I've usually preferred a palm heel. Just don't have time to build
up calluses on the side of the hand.