DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   sliding compound miter saws (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/106352-sliding-compound-miter-saws.html)

[email protected] May 15th 05 06:28 PM

sliding compound miter saws

I am in the market for a new 12" sliding compound miter saw. I have
been using a DeWalt for about the last 10 years and am not really happy
with it. I want a good quality saw that is very precise and has a
laser. I also want the scales to be easy to read without parallax (I
have to stand on a chair and get behind my DeWalt to read one of the
scales). I have looked at the Bosch 5412L and it seems to be a good
machine. Has anyone out there had any experience with this saw? Any
other suggestions?

Thanks, Carol

Dan May 15th 05 07:23 PM

On Sun 15 May 2005 12:28:57p, wrote in
ups.com:

I am in the market for a new 12" sliding compound miter saw. I have
been using a DeWalt for about the last 10 years and am not really happy
with it. I want a good quality saw that is very precise and has a
laser. I also want the scales to be easy to read without parallax (I
have to stand on a chair and get behind my DeWalt to read one of the
scales). I have looked at the Bosch 5412L and it seems to be a good
machine. Has anyone out there had any experience with this saw? Any
other suggestions?

I have the discontinued Bosch 3915. I bought it because it was about 350
compared to over 600 for the current model.

If I had my druthers and a really fat wallet, I'd have the 5412, or maybe
the kind without the laser. I'm kinda ambivalent about the laser. I hear
good and bad things about laser guides in general.

But this 3915 is great, even if it's not a dual. I wish I had that turnable
handle like the 5412, this one is a little bit awkward to grip. But that's
the only thing I don't like. It's easy to use, adjusts well, and it's
accurate. Leaves a nice clean cut. It'd be nice to have the better handle
and dual capability, but those aren't critical for me. I'm fine with this
one. Since I built a rolling stand with wings, it's the most used tool in
my shop.

Can't believe the 5412 would be anything but better.

Dan