Billy Carver

Default Thinking of taking up woodworking...

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Billy Carver wrote:

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

LOL!

Nice try.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Steven and Gail Peterson

Where do you live, and what organizations are around? Try to find a
woodworkers club (Woodcraft, if there is one near), or a woodworking class
at community college.

Steve

"Billy Carver" wrote in message
but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Billy Carver

I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys
I've met can barely string two sentences together.

What's this newsgroup like?

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article ,
Billy Carver wrote:

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

LOL!

Nice try.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

toller

"Billy Carver" wrote in message
I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys
I've met can barely string two sentences together.

Maybe it is you?!

Bob Schmall

Billy Carver wrote:
but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Take up square dancing.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Billy Carver" wrote in message
I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys
I've met can barely string two sentences together.

Yep

What's this newsgroup like?

Anti social

Hax Planx

Billy Carver says...

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Don't worry, there is always room for one more...
no(SPAM)vasys

Billy Carver wrote:
but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

You'll fit right in.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Bill C.

Billy Carver wrote in message
on Saturday 14
May 2005 11:14 am:

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Woodworking is not a team sport. An hour yacking is an hour away from
actually working with the wood and, if you love working with wood, that
means that an hour yacking is an hour lost forever.

Bill

Fly-by-Night CC

Damn straight - now **** off.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
David Bridgeman

I tried square dancing, dropped it, now it's out of square.

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Billy Carver wrote:
but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Take up square dancing.

Robert Bonomi

Billy Carver wrote:
but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Take up square dancing.

I tried square dancing, dropped it, now it's out of square.

Obviously, then, you should try _round_ dancing. (yes, there really is
such a thing.

Andy

Do you mean "antisocial" (don't spend a lot of time chatting just for
fun) or illiterate ("can barely string two sentences together")?
I agree with the other posts saying woodworking is generally an
individual activity, and if you're looking for something to do to meet
people or chat, try something else. In my opinion, however,
woodworking is an enjoyable and satisfying hobby, and time spent
working wood is great time spent with my own thoughts and without
distractions (including other people).
If you're implying that woodworkers are not smart, however, I'd have to
disagree. I am currently finishing my MS in biotechnology, one
woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web
designer, and another is an engineer.
Given the number of posts that are longer than 2 sentences, I'd have to
argue that this newsgroup is more literate than your stereotype.

Andy Dingley

On 16 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

, one woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web
designer

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more
straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately
back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft
PineyWood for Windowframes.

Doug Miller

In article , Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

, one woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web
designer

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more
straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately
back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft
PineyWood for Windowframes.

And another major advantage of woodworking is that clients don't phone at
2:30am to complain that an end table isn't working right.

--
Regards,

loutent

Hi Billy,

The greatest thing about woodworking is that you work
with wood 90% of the time and people the other 10%.
If you have a shop pet, maybe only 5%.

Adds up to 95% satisfaction.

Best thing about it.

Nicest thing about the wreck - same stats.

Lou

In article ,
Billy Carver wrote:

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy" wrote in message
Given the number of posts that are longer than 2 sentences, I'd have to
argue that this newsgroup is more literate than your stereotype.

Yep

Old Nick

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:48:39 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

And _still_ you only just managed to string two sentences
together....G

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more
straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately
back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft
PineyWood for Windowframes.

Old Nick

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:02:46 GMT, "Billy Carver"
wrote:

I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys
I've met can barely string two sentences together.

What's this newsgroup like?

Well you look as if you will fit in just fine. Note your inability to
string two more than sentences together. And I _know_ heaps of WWer's
who can spel kidding two....

OK. Maybe you are serious. Not being a very good woodworker, I am
(still, just) willing to listen.

So, seriously. If you come in here with an attitude like yours, to a
group of _woodworkers_, then maybe your "anti-social" image is
self-funded? Try approaching in a postive manner. Read the posts for a
while and decide for yourself. If you want to ask woodworking
questions, ask woodworking questions.

I will say that if you are looking for a chat, amongst serious
woodworkers, walk away. They are busy avoiding getting hurt while
woodworking.
Bob Martin

in 1205869 20050516 224839 Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

, one woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web
designer

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more
straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately
back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft
PineyWood for Windowframes.

love it !

(and wood doesn't re-program your table-saw)
Modat22

love it !

(and wood doesn't re-program your table-saw)

I'm also trying to get into wood working, I've been an autocad drafter
for 15 years but I've never been able to assemble anything I've drawn
with any accuracy. Now I'm getting away from the computer and trying
to learn something new and so far very fun and interesting.
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:16:51 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1205869 20050516 224839 Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

, one woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web
designer

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more
straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately
back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft
PineyWood for Windowframes.

love it !

(and wood doesn't re-program your table-saw)

Nor does your table saw "phone home" to verify that you have a legally
licensed copy of the Delta Unisaw or to check for updates that wind up
breaking half of the saw's features.

woodworker88

And another major advantage of woodworking is that clients don't phone
at
2:30am to complain that an end table isn't working right.

Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, did receive some angry calls from a
number of his distinguished clients when the elegant, astounding, and
far ahead of the technology roofs on his buildings began leaking onto
their dinner parties. I wonder if this falls into this category. I
have received angry comments from family members when recently
installed towel bars suddenly and explosively disconnect from
incorrectly installed framing members.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:52:08 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Nor does your table saw "phone home" to verify that you have a legally
licensed copy of the Delta Unisaw or to check for updates that wind up
breaking half of the saw's features.

On the other hand, even M$oft don't use the error message

"Your table saw has perfomed an illegal operation.
Click OK to slam a plastic block into the spinning blade
and destroy the processor"