R.H.

Default What is it? LXI

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

giovani

R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

345. Not seen one like this, but appears to be a calculator; "slide
rule" style"

346. Leather punch?

347. ??

348. Drill chuck - end on?

349. electric motor?

350. Almost a "blunt" horse spur; although not seen one with flat
'spur' like this.

giovani
Jon Haugsand

* R. H.

345 Stop watch with scales for speed measurement.
346 Tool for making square holes
347 Valve handle
348 Kitchen machine (mix master) chunk (or whatever)
349 Funny magnetic experiment. However, I cannot see that there is
really a spool. Might be some sort of magnetic cannon.
350 Your son's mischief tool. Needs a leather patch, a rubber
string and ammunition. (What is this called in English.)

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
giovani

Jon Haugsand wrote:
* R. H.

345 Stop watch with scales for speed measurement.
346 Tool for making square holes
347 Valve handle
348 Kitchen machine (mix master) chunk (or whatever)
349 Funny magnetic experiment. However, I cannot see that there is
really a spool. Might be some sort of magnetic cannon.
350 Your son's mischief tool. Needs a leather patch, a rubber
string and ammunition. (What is this called in English.)

350. Aha! Methinks you may have it :-)
Perhaps a part of a shanghai, ging, slingshot, catapult or whatever
name it may carry around the world. The rubber and shot pouch are
attached to the holes in the two arms.
DeepDiver

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

345. A device for determining the circumference of a circle by measuring the
diameter?

346. A square punch, probably for leather.

348. Drill chuck key.

349. Electric motor?

350. OB-GYN stirrup?

Anthony

"R.H." wrote in news:NnDge.24693$9n1.22847
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

346 is half of a mortise & tenion drill, minus the drill.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

346 C'mon, this is a ww'ing group! Mortiser drill/chisel
347 Some kind of little adjusting jack?
348 Part of a can opener.
349 Electric motor.

--
Nahmie

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:14:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

345. I think it's part of a planimeter.

346. A power mortising chisel (lacking the drill bit)

348. Drill chuck key.

349. Electric motor -- only one side of the insulation is stripped on the
"axles" of the coil.

Tim Shoppa

345 Stop watch with scales for speed measurement.

I think the watchmaker's term is "tachymetre". An old Omega catalog I
have says that it is a shortened version of (get this)
"tacho-productometer" ! I personally believe this to be a
reverse-acronymics example, the original term makes perfect sense in
French.

Tim.

Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

345. A calculator that functions in a similar fashion to a circular
slide-rule.

346. The chisel part of a mortising tool. A drill bit goes down the
center. It is used to make square holes.

347. A puzzle. The objective is to remove the nut with the four handles.

348. A drill chuck key.

349. An electric motor. When I first made one of these, I was surprised
that the motor would still function even if the insulation was completely
stripped off of the coil's axle, rather than stripped only half way around
the axle.

350. A sling-shot handle.

Carl G.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

345: Circular slide rule

346: Specialty wrench attachment (a cop-out, I know)

347: Brass gas valve

348: Faucet, business end

349: Electric motor

350: Another specialty wrench (and another cop-out)

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Sal D'Ambra

345 is a Calculator - circular slide ruler in a watch style case. Russian?
346 is a mortise bit without the drill
347 is a puzzle
348 is a fire sprinkler
349 is an electric motor
350 is a slingshot handle

--
Sal D'Ambra
Blue Ridge Summit, PA
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DeepDiver

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

345. A device for determining the circumference of a circle by measuring
the diameter?

346. A square punch, probably for leather.

348. Drill chuck key.

349. Electric motor?

350. OB-GYN stirrup?

Btw, I was just kidding about that last one. It looks like a pin wrench to
me.

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

345. No clue
346. Woodworkers mortising chisel
347. Machinist's puzzle
348. End of a drill chuck
349. Minature electric motor
350. FIreplace kettle hooks

RCM

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

345) Not fair for me to guess, since I submitted the photos.

346) Used with an appropriate sized wood-cutting drill bit to cut
square holes. The drill bit cuts out wood at the center
(ejecting it through the slots up higher), and the hollow chisel
bends wood from around the drill hole into the path of the drill
bit, resulting in a square hole. (Usually used for mortising in
things like a door lockset.

347) Used for adjusting the height of something -- such as perhaps
the rear of a cannon barrel to adjust the range.

348) The business end of a Jacobs style chuck key.

349) An electric motor. The coil is suspended in the two loops
at the ends of the battery, and current through the wires
produces a magnetic field which interacts with th field from the
permanent magnet(s) on the side of the battery.

It looks as though the wires coming off from the coil are just a
bit off center, so as the coil twists, it will probably lift
clear of contact at at least one end, allowing it to flip around
and repeat the cycle when it next makes contact (probably near
the end of a revolution.)

Even if the wires were perfectly centered, if the enamel were
scraped off of only one side of the wire, it would work pretty
much the same, with the enamel acting to interrupt the current.

350) "Slingshot" handle (not truly a slingshot, but the only term I
knew for this as a kid is most certainly quite politically
incorrect, so I won't mention it here. :-)

It looks as though it is designed for the rubber bands (perhaps
surgical rubber tubing) to fit through the two holes near the
ends of the fork.

Now to see what others have figured out.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Charles Krug

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:05:33 -0400, Sal D'Ambra
wrote:
345 is a Calculator - circular slide ruler in a watch style case. Russian?

My Dad still has several of these.

They're labeled from a maker of aviation charts, so it probably saw
application with manual navigation methods.

One is attached to strap-on knee boards. I don't recall what was on the
other knee.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Norman D. Crow wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

346 C'mon, this is a ww'ing group! Mortiser drill/chisel

Actually -- it is only *partially* a woodworking group. Look at
the "Newsgroups: " header. It is cross-posted to the following
newgroups:

rec.antiques
rec.crafts.metalworking
rec.puzzles
rec.woodworking

and I'm reading/posting in the second group of the four. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:14:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?

As I see it, either the off-center weight of the coil, or the
enamel is scraped off the contact wires only on one side. (I haven't
bothered saving the images and zooming in to see whether there is
sufficient detail to tell about the enamel.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Sal D'Ambra wrote:
345 is a Calculator - circular slide ruler in a watch style case. Russian?

Bingo! Very Russian. Acquired from an eBay auction a few years ago.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

lionslair at consolidated dot net

DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:14:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?

As I see it, either the off-center weight of the coil, or the
enamel is scraped off the contact wires only on one side. (I haven't
bothered saving the images and zooming in to see whether there is
sufficient detail to tell about the enamel.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'd say a motor myself. DC naturally.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Norman D. Crow

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Norman D. Crow wrote:

"R.H." wrote in message
m...
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

346 C'mon, this is a ww'ing group! Mortiser drill/chisel

Actually -- it is only *partially* a woodworking group. Look at
the "Newsgroups: " header. It is cross-posted to the following
newgroups:

rec.antiques
rec.crafts.metalworking
rec.puzzles
rec.woodworking

and I'm reading/posting in the second group of the four. :-)

OK, my face is properly red! I only read ww'ing, and don't(generally) check
the header unless it looks like spam or trolls.

--
Nahmie

Jon Haugsand

* Sal D'Ambra
349 is an electric motor

What is /really/ puzzling with this picture is why the battery isn't
rolling over.

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92
woodworker88

346. Mortising chisel for bench top mortiser. This could never
possibly work for a leather punch because the chisel only reaches full
depth at the corners.

R.H.

All of them have been answered correctly:

340. Russian circular slide rule

341. Mortise chisel

342. Puzzle, remove the nut

343. Drill chuck key

344. An electric motor

345. Slingshot

I'll have to try and find a stumper for next week, you guys make this look
too easy. One more photo and two links can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan64n.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?

Don's guess is correct, the coil is made from varnish coated magnet wire,
each of the two axles has had half of this insulating varnish scraped off,
making them function as primitive commutators. I tried Carl's idea of
scraping off all of the varnish and got the same results he did, it still
worked.

If anybody wants to make one, it works best with very thin wire.

Rob

R.H.

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* Sal D'Ambra
349 is an electric motor

What is /really/ puzzling with this picture is why the battery isn't
rolling over.

I should probably make a puzzle out of it, but I'll go ahead and answer it,
I put two small wires on either side to keep it upright. Not much gets by
this crew, I didn't expect to have to anwer this question.

Rob

Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
Don's guess is correct, the coil is made from varnish coated magnet wire,
each of the two axles has had half of this insulating varnish scraped off,
making them function as primitive commutators. I tried Carl's idea of
scraping off all of the varnish and got the same results he did, it still
worked.

If anybody wants to make one, it works best with very thin wire.

Amazing! This /is/ something to impress today's kids with, because
they are used to that you have to buy things from the computer store
or whatever. But here you can pretend to just find some wire, a used
battery and so on. Need to try this. The wire is something I don't
have in-house, so I'll need to figure out which store stocks such
items.

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jon Haugsand wrote:
* R. H.

[ ... ]

If anybody wants to make one, it works best with very thin wire.

Amazing! This /is/ something to impress today's kids with, because
they are used to that you have to buy things from the computer store
or whatever. But here you can pretend to just find some wire, a used
battery and so on. Need to try this. The wire is something I don't
have in-house, so I'll need to figure out which store stocks such
items.

If you have an old (and preferably dead) wall wart (the
oversized lump on the end of power cords for lots of portable things
which plugs directly into the wall), they normally have a small power
transformer inside. You can recover a lot of wire from one of those --
in two gauges. The finer wire would be wound closer to the center, and
connected to the power line, while the slightly coarser wire (probably
better for this task) is wound on the outside to produce a low-voltage
secondary to power the device -- whatever is is.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

Amazing! This /is/ something to impress today's kids with, because
they are used to that you have to buy things from the computer store
or whatever. But here you can pretend to just find some wire, a used
battery and so on. Need to try this. The wire is something I don't
have in-house, so I'll need to figure out which store stocks such
items.

I forgot to mention that it works best if you use a very strong rare earth
magnet, and for the coil wrap the wire around a C battery ten times.

Rob

Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Amazing! This /is/ something to impress today's kids with, because
they are used to that you have to buy things from the computer store
or whatever. But here you can pretend to just find some wire, a used
battery and so on. Need to try this. The wire is something I don't
have in-house, so I'll need to figure out which store stocks such
items.

I forgot to mention that it works best if you use a very strong rare earth
magnet, and for the coil wrap the wire around a C battery ten times.

Grandsons had a ball with stuff like this when I got them an electric hobby
kit from Radio Shack a few years back. Lots of neat learning stuff,
including simple motor similar to this.

--
Nahmie

Jon Haugsand

* Norman D. Crow
Grandsons had a ball with stuff like this when I got them an electric hobby
kit from Radio Shack a few years back. Lots of neat learning stuff,
including simple motor similar to this.

The problem with such kits is that it is "bought magic" and impressive
as it may be, it does not make the kids wonder after the show. If you
just find a few items around the house and put them together, it may
very well make the kids feel that the workings of todays environment
is within their own grasp. (Or whatever it should be described.)

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92
Norman D. Crow

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* Norman D. Crow
Grandsons had a ball with stuff like this when I got them an electric
hobby
kit from Radio Shack a few years back. Lots of neat learning stuff,
including simple motor similar to this.

The problem with such kits is that it is "bought magic" and impressive
as it may be, it does not make the kids wonder after the show. If you
just find a few items around the house and put them together, it may
very well make the kids feel that the workings of todays environment
is within their own grasp. (Or whatever it should be described.)

--

I'd already showed them some things. Had an old Erector® set with a small
electro magnet in it, so made a simple one from a bolt, battery & wire. Did

--
Nahmie

Rich Grise

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:13:10 -0500, lionslair at consolidated dot net
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:14:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?

As I see it, either the off-center weight of the coil, or the
enamel is scraped off the contact wires only on one side. (I haven't
bothered saving the images and zooming in to see whether there is
sufficient detail to tell about the enamel.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'd say a motor myself. DC naturally.
Martin

Very much like one of these:
http://www.flinnsci.com/Documents/de...ci/PS10405.pdf

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:38:49 +0200, Jon Haugsand wrote:

* R. H.
Don's guess is correct, the coil is made from varnish coated magnet wire,
each of the two axles has had half of this insulating varnish scraped off,
making them function as primitive commutators. I tried Carl's idea of
scraping off all of the varnish and got the same results he did, it still
worked.

If anybody wants to make one, it works best with very thin wire.

Amazing! This /is/ something to impress today's kids with, because
they are used to that you have to buy things from the computer store
or whatever. But here you can pretend to just find some wire, a used
battery and so on. Need to try this. The wire is something I don't
have in-house, so I'll need to figure out which store stocks such
items.

In the US, Radio Shack. They sell a pack of 3 sizes on small spools.
It's called "magnet wire", just in case nobody's mentioned that yet.
http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp...age1.y=0&SRC=1
278-1345

Cheers!
Rich

You can pull a few rare earth magnets from most junk hard drives.
Probably scrounge the wire too.

R.H.

In the US, Radio Shack. They sell a pack of 3 sizes on small spools.
It's called "magnet wire", just in case nobody's mentioned that yet.

http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp...age1.y=0&SRC=1
278-1345

That's what I used for the coil wire, the heaviest gauge wire that came in
the pack didn't work for some reason, but the next size worked great.

Rob

Tim Mullen

In Jon Haugsand writes:

* Norman D. Crow
Grandsons had a ball with stuff like this when I got them an electric hobby
kit from Radio Shack a few years back. Lots of neat learning stuff,
including simple motor similar to this.

The problem with such kits is that it is "bought magic" and impressive
as it may be, it does not make the kids wonder after the show.

Depends on how pre-packaged the kit is. I'm an electrical
engineer, and when I was young my dad bought me one of the
electronic kits with a couple of transistors, resistors, and
capacitors, complete with a peg-board affair where you could
assemble circuits with a type of Fahnestock clip.

I had a blast with this kit, and the components later became
my first parts stash. However, there was a contemporary kit
where the components were enclosed in lucite cubes with metal
ends and a schematic on top. The idea was to build circuits
by joining the cubes together. Somehow this kit struck me as
just Not Right. I don't think it would have held my interest
as long not being able to handle the actual components themselves.

I also had one of those little motor kits where you wound
your own armature. I have to say I think this home-made battery
bazinga tops that.

If you
just find a few items around the house and put them together, it may
very well make the kids feel that the workings of todays environment
is within their own grasp. (Or whatever it should be described.)

Certainly not for the very young, but a great book for
kitchen table experiments is the collection(s) of Amateur
Scientist articles from Scientific American magazine. One
of these articles got me building Van de Graafs as a kid.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.

Rich Grise wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:13:10 -0500, lionslair at consolidated dot net
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:14:53 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Isn't 349 a galvanometer ? I can se how I'd like it to be a motor, but
what's acting as the commutator ?

As I see it, either the off-center weight of the coil, or the
enamel is scraped off the contact wires only on one side. (I haven't
bothered saving the images and zooming in to see whether there is
sufficient detail to tell about the enamel.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'd say a motor myself. DC naturally.
Martin

Very much like one of these:
http://www.flinnsci.com/Documents/de...ci/PS10405.pdf

Cheers!
Rich

Good picture. My Galvanometer (it is older) model used a Horseshoe magnet that is
set and the coil is very long with a pointer. It is a very, very low current device
and was used to measure charge storage (flow) thus current. It was built by GR -
General Radio and mounted in a Fine wood case with a black plastic-like top.
Lab grade. The box is now on display at Department of Energy as an instrument
to measure the current delivered by a Hydrogen Fuel Cell that I did the tech work
for a local group (My wife was the Primary Teacher at a private school that had a grant!).

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life