James Bond

Default Newbie looking for great woodworking book.

I feel pretty certain that this question has been asked a million times in
this group, and being the very next bozo to do it, I apologize.

Basically, I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as a
reference book for the beginning woodworker. That is, I have used some
tools before, have made a few crude items, but don't know all the possible
joinry options, make frequent beginner mistakes (some of which might be
avoided by reading a good text on the subject), still have plenty of
techniques to learn, etc.

So any recommendations on a great book for a person of my level (which I
would describe as just a hair above complete newbie), I would sure
appreciate the advice.

TIA

James
A Dubya

A couple of good ones to start off with might be Leonard Lee's sharpening
book, Earnest Joyce' s Encyclopaedia of woodworking, Yeung Chan's joinery
book (hand and machine), Krenov's Impractical cabinet maker, David
Charlesworth has a couple that are pretty good that deal with
tools/design/joinery....good luck. I don't think there's any one book that
covers everything....

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 10 May 2005 04:54:23 -0400, James Bond wrote:

Basically, I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as a
reference book for the beginning woodworker.

I don't know a _single_ book that does this. Frid is about the best,
with some others on finihsing (Flexner) and on each of the big machines
you might use.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/books/woo...htm#begin_here

George

"A Dubya" wrote in message
. ..
A couple of good ones to start off with might be Leonard Lee's sharpening
book, Earnest Joyce' s Encyclopaedia of woodworking, Yeung Chan's joinery
book (hand and machine), Krenov's Impractical cabinet maker, David
Charlesworth has a couple that are pretty good that deal with
tools/design/joinery....good luck. I don't think there's any one book

that
covers everything....

With the exception of Joyce, too esoteric. The basics as in Fierer are what
you need to begin with.

My recommendation, go to the nearest used book store, the hobby section, and
pick up the one that's not quite fully a mystery to you. Or, since a lot of
"project" books pad with techniques and general principles, you could start
there.

Another Phil

How big is your budget???

My suggestion is to spend the money and get back issues of Woodsmith
Magazine. Issues 20 thru about 60 or 70 have a lot to teach you about
woodworking, jig and fixture making, finishing, and many other things.
Don't get me wrong, all back issues of Woodsmith are great, but those first
few years of issues were good teaching and training.

EBay:
(watch for line wrap)
http://tinyurl.com/8386f

Phil

Never Enough Money

I like "Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship"
by Peter Korn. However, I think after you read thos one, you'll go on
with some more specialized books. Some of Jeff Jewitt's finishing
books, maybe "The Table Saw Book" ot the "Bandsaw Book" or the Router
Book".

Tauton Press has some grate offerings:
http://www.taunton.com/store/index_fwbv.asp

If you are into hand tools, Lie-Nielsen has some good video, DVD, and
books on their web site.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/toolcat.html?cat=16

Lee Valley has a large selection, too:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&cat=1&p=46096

RonB

Try "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John L. Feirer, Chas A. Bennett Company.
It was a textbook in a college cabinetmaking class I took during the late
1970's. I think you can still find it on Amazon and in some bookstores. I
saw an updated version on Amazon a year or so ago with a teaching guide.

My version is obviously dated but a lot of the information will never
change. In 900+ pages it covers everything from wood properties to machines
and machine processes, cabinet assembly, drawers, finishes, etc. I dig it
out for reference often.

I noticed an earlier poster mentioned Feirer in passing and suspect this is
the book.

RonB

Go to the public library! They probably have many books that will be
interesting on woodworking. Browse the 684 (i think) section.

Peter

X_HOBBES

Basically, I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as a
reference book for the beginning woodworker.

I don't know a _single_ book that does this. Frid is about the best,
with some others on finihsing (Flexner) and on each of the big machines
you might use.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/books/woo...htm#begin_here

I DO!!! This was my first woodworking book -- and I swear by it!!! =-)

Book Title: "The Complete Manual of Woodworking"
Authors: Albert Jackson, David Day, Simon Jennings
Press: Knopf
ISBN: 0-679-76611-1
List Price: $25
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...766111& itm=1

Some of the book's contents are these:
- Woods of the world
- Designing and planning
- Hand tools
- Power tools
- Machine tools
- Woodturning
- Workshops
- Joints
- Bending
- Veneering
- Marquetry
- Carving
- Finishing
- Working in other materials
- Supplies and fittings

This book is an EXCELLENT all-around woodworking book. True, it won't go
into as much detail on any particular topic, but it's a great resource for
beginner/intermediate woodworkers. Also, it is fully illustrated showing
you step-by-step how to do most things. I bought it the first time I needed
to make an edge-to-edge joint. The book fully explained how to do all sorts
of joints using both hand tools or power tools.

This is by far the best all-around woodworking book on the shelf.

X_HOBBES

CNT

Understanding Wood Finishing, How to Select and Apply the Right Finish, by
Bob Flexner

Plus Woodsmith mags!!

Chuck

I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as
a reference book for the beginning woodworker.

James Bond

WOW! Thanks to everyone for all the input. Due to all your helpful
advice I have already gotten my hands on a couple of the mentioned texts
and am already learning a lot. Judging from the rapid, considerate, and
copious help I have so far received, I am led to believe that woodworkers
must comprise a fabulous community. I am looking forward to learning
more and becoming a part of it all.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

James

CNT wrote in :

Understanding Wood Finishing, How to Select and Apply the Right
Finish, by Bob Flexner

Plus Woodsmith mags!!

Chuck

I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as
a reference book for the beginning woodworker.

X_HOBBES

"James Bond" wrote in message

I am looking forward to learning more and becoming a part of it all.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

James

Enjoy it! It's a very rewarding activity. It's a very nice escape from
everyday stresses.

X_HOBBES

charlie b

X_HOBBES wrote:

Enjoy it! It's a very rewarding activity. It's a very nice escape from
everyday stresses.

X_HOBBES

And fall into some Not Everyday Stress? I'm thinking of
complicated glue up specifically. Here's an example of
The Clock's Ticking, The Glue Is Setting and ..."

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench18.html

But back to the original poster's question - what kind of
stuff do you want to do? If it's sheet goods and face frames
with framed ply doors and drawer slides things are a
bit simpler than doing solid wood furniture with traditional
joinery. For whatever reason, are you limited to hand tools
and hand power tools or is a joiner, planer and table saw
in the plan, along with a plunge router and maybe a
router table set up?

Either way, there are some basic fundamentals (don't
you just love that redundancy) which seem to be assumed
as "common knowledge" by most authors of woodworking
books and therefore not even mentioned. Stock prep for
example. Parts marking is another overlooked piece
of critical info (anyone want to swear that they've
never made two "lefts" or cut a dado/rabbet-rebate/
mortise on the wrong end or face of a part?). How
about layout, tools and techniques? What about kickback?
Or how about something that appears to need no
explanation - how to use a handsaw or how to use
a chisel for - chopping - paring - mortising ...

So here's some of the basic fundamentals for free

Stock prep
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CabProcess3.html

Layout - in a mortise and tenon example, including
layout tools - but applicable to a lot of other things
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MTprimer7.html

If you're going to use a table saw, be it a contractor's
saw or a full sized, 3 or more horsepower cabinet
saw and understanding of the factors that can lead
to a piece of wood taking off - at high speed and in
unpredictable directions - this might help
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

Want to try handcut dovetails?
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ilDrawer0.html

AS for books,

Di Cristafora's book on joinery illustrates almost every
type of joint you'll ever encounter let along even consider
making. Falls a little short on when and how they're
used and why but will provide good into to mentally
file away for later.

Krenov's books will give you one man's "why" rather
than "how". There's very little in print on the "why"
part of woodworking.

The Encyclopedia of Furniture Making (I think that's
the title) will show how most solid wood furniture
is put together when done right.

I've got shelves of woodworking books and none
cover everything well and the ones that try
fail miserable when you go to apply what you
think they've shown you.

Bottom line, it's like asking for a book that covers
Engineering (hell, I've got an engineering books
that's mainly just steam tables (did you know
that there's such a thing as dry steam?)

The sunject of woodworking has several lifetimes
of things to learn - which is the fun of it - the
finished projects are merely sign posts and
post cards from the journey.

Jump in - but be safe. When in doubt stop and
think things through. If the little voice in
your head's screaming DON'T DO IT! back off
and find another way.

Welcome to the slippery slopes.

charlie b
James Bond

Thanks for the info (and particularly the free stuff). You hit the nail
on the head (okay, that pun was not intended, but I will leave it in
anyway) when you mention the fundamentals that are assumed to be known by
so many authors. That was the impetus behind my original post. As just
one little example, I just recently learned about having the good face of
plywood up or down depending on the tool used to cut it. There are tons
of those sort of little tid bits that I don't yet know. Your info has
put me on the path of learning many of those things.

To answer your specific questions (which in retrospect I should have done
in my original post), I am currently limited to power hand tools, and
even then I don't have it all (currently no router, for example). But
both budget and expertise level mandate a slow growth of this hobby for
me. As to what I want to do, well for the moment my choice of projects
are being determined by several criteria: cost of materials, available
tools, and practical use. So some of my first projects have been/still
are basic shelving units, simple work benches, etc. Basically, the first
projects are making things that I can use in my little new workshop area.

Thanks again for your help and advice. Oh, BTW, as off topic as it is,
what the hell is dry steam?

James

charlie b wrote in news:42819A63.5FC0
@accesscom.com:

X_HOBBES wrote:

[...]

alexy

"George" george@least wrote:

"A Dubya" wrote in message
A couple of good ones to start off with might be Leonard Lee's sharpening
book, Earnest Joyce' s Encyclopaedia of woodworking, Yeung Chan's joinery
book (hand and machine), Krenov's Impractical cabinet maker, David
Charlesworth has a couple that are pretty good that deal with
tools/design/joinery....good luck. I don't think there's any one book

that
covers everything....

With the exception of Joyce, too esoteric. The basics as in Fierer are what
you need to begin with.

My recommendation, go to the nearest used book store, the hobby section, and
pick up the one that's not quite fully a mystery to you. Or, since a lot of
"project" books pad with techniques and general principles, you could start
there.

I'll add another vote for Feirer, with the caveat, well-stated in
this thread elsewhere and acknowledged by the OP, that no book does it
all. Feirer was the first book I got, and it is good for lot of basic
principles. After learning those principles, I find I seldom go to it
any more. The title of the book, _Cabinetmaking and Millwork_, should
tell you that it is not for everyone. I found it much too oriented to
production work. Probably unbeatable (if a little dated) for an
industrial arts curriculum, but books aimed at hobbyists and
[would-be] artisans are of more relevance to the work I [want to] do.
X_HOBBES

"James Bond" wrote in message
... I am currently limited to power hand tools, and
even then I don't have it all (currently no router, for example). But
both budget and expertise level mandate a slow growth of this hobby for
me. As to what I want to do, well for the moment my choice of projects
are being determined by several criteria: cost of materials, available
tools, and practical use. So some of my first projects have been/still
are basic shelving units, simple work benches, etc. Basically, the first
projects are making things that I can use in my little new workshop area.

Great way to start!

Don't go out one day and decide that you're going to buy ALL of the tools
you'll ever need for your woodshop -- you'll probably regret most decisions.
It is far wiser (in my opinion) to purchase one tool at a time and get
familiar with it. As you purchase more tools and build skill with each, you
will learn of new things to look for in future tools. Besides, it will give
you something to put on your wish list for your next shopping experience.
All of a sudden you've become easy to shop for -- HomeDepot gift cards!!!
=-)

As for starter projects, I really do recommend a few woodshop basics (carts
for power tools, assembly table, cabinets and shelves for your tools, etc.).
Also, as you've probably noticed, wood is VERY expensive! Learning can be
costly due to frequent mistakes. I suggest for some of your woodshop
projects -- especially if you're building something that needs to be free of
knots and warps, use MDF -- you can buy a full 4x8 sheet at HomeDepot for
around $20. It's very easy to work with, but you won't learn the
characteristics of wood (expansion, warping, cupping, blade drifts, etc.).
For your real wood projects, if you're trying to get familiar with wood
characteristics without spending a lot of $$$, use pine -- not the
prettiest, but you'll definitely learn how to deal with some
characteristics! Something a bit nicer -- poplar. These materials are
probably cheapest at HomeDepot and Lowes than most other places since they
sell so much of them. A real pleasure to work with -- oak. =-)

I still highly recommend "The Complete Manual of Woodworking" by Albert
Jackson, David Day, and Simon Jennings.

You're off to a great start by querying the great minds on this newsgroup --
most of these folks really know what they're talking about! I learn
something new every day!

Good luck!
X_HOBBES

Vito Kuhn

"James Bond" wrote:

I feel pretty certain that this question has been asked a million times
in this group, and being the very next bozo to do it, I apologize.

Basically, I am looking for a comprehensive text that will function as
a reference book for the beginning woodworker. That is, I have used
some tools before, have made a few crude items, but don't know all the
possible joinry options, make frequent beginner mistakes (some of which
might be avoided by reading a good text on the subject), still have
plenty of techniques to learn, etc.

So any recommendations on a great book for a person of my level (which
I would describe as just a hair above complete newbie), I would sure
appreciate the advice.

TIA

James

Get "WOODWORKING BASICS: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship" by
Peter Korn.

My best friend Ernie recently bought this book for his 17 year old son.
The book is a nice survey of woodworking, covering the fundamental basics
of the craft. It includes two useful projects, a bench and a table.
Plenty of illustrations are included.

VK