foofoo

Default How to Finish Parawood???

We have 6 unfinished chairs, made of parawood. We tried waterbased,
oil based, and gel stains but they don't seem to penetrate the wood.
The stain sits on top of the wood and
never seems to dry completely.

Has anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions for our
refinishing efforts?

Thanks!

Odinn

foofoo wrote:
We have 6 unfinished chairs, made of parawood. We tried waterbased,
oil based, and gel stains but they don't seem to penetrate the wood.
The stain sits on top of the wood and
never seems to dry completely.

Has anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions for our
refinishing efforts?

Parawood (it's a rubber tree after it can no longer produce the latex)
is normally fairly easy to stain (density is somewhere between ash and
birch). Are you sure there isn't some sort of coating on these chairs?

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM