LurfysMa

Default Is this ng active?

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Dave in Fairfax

LurfysMa wrote:
This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Nope, there's nobody here but us chickens. And a few hundred
messages every day.0

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Vic Baron

Nope - too busy woodworking to post

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
news:1115311851.2e168be619d3e9eb8b2ed8989452f629@t eranews...
This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:06:58 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Nope, there's nobody here but us chickens. And a few hundred
messages every day.0

Gotta wonder how he's going to see these responses if his ISP hasn't
updated in over a year...

Lee
Dave in Fairfax

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Gotta wonder how he's going to see these responses if his ISP hasn't
updated in over a year...

I wondered about that too, but I figured that he had something
worked out. You know, a seance, ouija board, something like that.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 05 May 2005 09:50:27 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read
this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to
unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably
re-indexed something.

Used to use them for a little while; they were down more than they were
up, I could only see about 1 of every 10 abpf postings.
SuperNews on the other hand has been hassle and worry free.

mac davis

On Thu, 05 May 2005 09:50:27 -0700, LurfysMa wrote:

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

shhh.... we're in stealth mode..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
LurfysMa

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:55:32 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Gotta wonder how he's going to see these responses if his ISP hasn't
updated in over a year...

I wondered about that too, but I figured that he had something
worked out. You know, a seance, ouija board, something like that.

Dave in Fairfax

Uh... it was a test. I couldn't believe that the ng had died as it
used to be very active, but I wasn't seeing anything. So, I thought I
try a post to see it if showed up. It didn't, so something had to be
wrong. It seems to be working now. I just got 27,000 headers. Still
not sure what was wrong. Moonspots?

LurfysMa

wrote:

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read
this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to
unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably
re-indexed something.

Will that help? What does it do?

Used to use them for a little while; they were down more than they were
up, I could only see about 1 of every 10 abpf postings.
SuperNews on the other hand has been hassle and worry free.

I think you are right. I've only been with them a few weeks. It was
great for a week or so, but nothing but trouble since.

Larry Bud

LurfysMa wrote:
This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Don't you know that 90% of woodworkers are old milkshakes and don't
know how to operate a computer! :-)

KIDDING!

Robert Bonomi

wrote:

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read
this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to
unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably
re-indexed something.

Will that help? What does it do?

What 're-indexing' does is _change_ all the article numbers. *ON*THE*SERVER*.

Your newsreader "thinks" you've seen articles through "number 87 gazillion
and 4", because that was the number of the last article you read, and _now_
the server is dishing up article numbers in the low thousands. Smaller
than before, so these *must* be 'previously read' articles, and your news-
READER program therefore doesn't show them to you.

The 'fix' for that particular issue is to tell the newsreader program to
'forget' what it knows about previously-read articles, and start over.

Unsubscribing, and then re-subscribing, *may* accomplish that 'forgetting'.

Used to use them for a little while; they were down more than they were
up, I could only see about 1 of every 10 abpf postings.
SuperNews on the other hand has been hassle and worry free.

I think you are right. I've only been with them a few weeks. It was
great for a week or so, but nothing but trouble since.

Tom Watson

wrote:

This used to be an active NG, but my ISP (TeraNews) doesn't show
anything since January 2004.

It actually seems to be in remission now but will undoubtedly become
active again soon.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Dave in Fairfax

mac davis wrote:
shhh.... we're in stealth mode..

I thought we were hunting wabbits. Or was it tree rats.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Dave in Fairfax

LurfysMa wrote:
Uh... it was a test. I couldn't believe that the ng had died as it
used to be very active, but I wasn't seeing anything. So, I thought I
try a post to see it if showed up. It didn't, so something had to be
wrong. It seems to be working now. I just got 27,000 headers. Still
not sure what was wrong. Moonspots?

More likely the news server burped.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Old Nick

wrote:
Yep, your News Service (TeraNews) is seriously screwed. If you can read
this (and if you can, then your problem is solved), you probably need to
unsubscribe, then re-subscribe to the newsgroup. Teranews probably
re-indexed something.

Will that help? What does it do?

But it would be so easy to just _try_....

Mark Thieme

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
LurfysMa wrote:

Uh... it was a test. I couldn't believe that the ng had died as it
used to be very active, but I wasn't seeing anything. So, I thought I
try a post to see it if showed up. It didn't, so something had to be
wrong. It seems to be working now. I just got 27,000 headers. Still
not sure what was wrong. Moonspots?

More likely the news server burped.

Couldn't be your browser settings....

Dave in Fairfax

Dave in Fairfax

Mark Thieme wrote:
Couldn't be your browser settings....

Less likely. Servers burp every now and then and repost a bunch
of stuff. We went through this about a year and a half ago as I
recall. Most people don't play with their settings, so if it just
happens without having done anything, it's usually the server.

Dave in Fairfax