Mark Cooper

Default Not all Milwaukees are as they seem...

On Saturday I bought a vise from J & L Industrial (good people, by the way,
and usually very good prices to boot). I paid the extra $ to get an
American-made vise from "Milwaukee." It was painted red, it said "Milwaukee
Tool & Equipment" on the side, so I thought I was buying good product.

I was not. What a piece of **** this thing is. The jaws don't clamp-up
within a quarter-inch of parallel, the pipe jaws are out of alignment in the
vertical plane, the paint job is a combination of runs, drips, and
completely missed spots, and there's so much slop in the handle you could
feed a troop train for a week with it.

I wondered why I couldn't find a vise on Milwaukee.com...I figured they were
so embarassed about the quality that they abandoned the line.

Turns out this vise is made by _this_ outfit: http://www.milwmal.com/.

Bottom line: In an earlier post on a different topic this week, I maligned
the quality of Milwaukee ELECTRIC Tool Company, the Milwaukee we all know,
calling them something like a "red Ryobi." It was an honest mistake, but a
mistake nonetheless, so apologies to them and theirs, and anyone who read my
bad information.

Below the bottom line: If you ever see a vise for sale that looks like a
Milwaukee, run away...it's a piece of crap.

AL

There is another company called Milwaukee Hydraulics which makes floor jacks
and similar lifting equipment. They're stuff is very good. They paint them
red too.

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
news:1115246683.2456435bcd85d2c55dfb9e8b6fffb825@t eranews...
[...]

Robatoy

In article 1115246683.2456435bcd85d2c55dfb9e8b6fffb825@teran ews,
"Mark Cooper" wrote:

[...]

No worries. I had a similar situation when I found a "Milwaukee" Paint
stripper ( heat gun / hot air) in the paint department at Home Depot.
It is branded as Milwaukee, but not the same typeface/font in their logo.
I bought it on the recommendation of a friend of mine and it turned out
to be a great tool.
The warranty and repair documents all point to Wagner (the worthless
airless painter people).
Could have just as easily gone the other way like it did in your case.
**** happens, and thanks for the heads up.
BillyBob

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
news:1115246683.2456435bcd85d2c55dfb9e8b6fffb825@t eranews...

Turns out this vise is made by _this_ outfit: http://www.milwmal.com/.

Interesting that the picture on their home page has "Morgan" inscribed on
the vise picture. I just bought an old workbench that has a Morgan vise on
it. Of course its the 40 year old variety. Its heavy and appears to be
quite precise. It clamps like nobody's business. Obviously they don't make
'em like they used to.

Bob

Robatoy

In article . net,
"BillyBob" wrote:

It clamps like nobody's business.

Unlike Mark's vice which clamps like somebody's business.

I think