WillR

Default Of Carving knives and scalpels...

Of Carving knives and scalpels...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...ety050502.html

Interesting story about Lee Valley, Leonard Lee, and Carving knives...

***************
ALMONTE, ONT. - A small Canadian company has switched from selling to
carpenters to supplying hundreds of U.S. hospitals with safer scalpels.

Leonard Lee of Almonte, Ont., near Ottawa, produces surgical scalpels
worth millions of dollars because their unique blades are retractable.

*********************

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
ks

Interesting story.
It quoted a surgeon saying it was the best wood carving knife as well as the
best scalpel.
Just curious, are scalpel blades made of a different alloy/hardness than ww
ones.
Looks like a good possible addition to the LV lineup

Charles Krug

On Tue, 03 May 2005 15:21:15 GMT, ks wrote:
Interesting story.
It quoted a surgeon saying it was the best wood carving knife as well
as the best scalpel. Just curious, are scalpel blades made of a
different alloy/hardness than ww ones.

Looks like a good possible addition to the LV lineup

Several jobs back, the technicians used scalpel handles instead of
Exacto knives. Interchangable blades in all the familiar Exacto shapes,
plus a few specialized ones availble both for electronics work and
surgury.

We'd occasionally get the "normal curved blade" in packages marked
"sterile" when it was what the supplier had in stock. I used to keep a
few around for when I got splinter.

George

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
Several jobs back, the technicians used scalpel handles instead of
Exacto knives. Interchangable blades in all the familiar Exacto shapes,
plus a few specialized ones availble both for electronics work and
surgury.

We'd occasionally get the "normal curved blade" in packages marked
"sterile" when it was what the supplier had in stock. I used to keep a
few around for when I got splinter.

Disposable, when they're even used anymore around here. With all the dough
available in medical care, doesn't make sense to risk a dull blade.
Standard is a replaceable blade and built-in-cautery.

Sterilization is another problem. Sent a guy to the hospital with a plastic
C-collar yesterday which could have been washed and reused, but rules
forbid. Fortunately, we don't have to throw away bloody spine boards,
though the real wood (OBWW) ones are being replaced by the expensive plastic
ones.

I'm so old, I can remember when we washed out the suction, instead of
throwing away a barf-filled container.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:39:09 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Sterilization is another problem. Sent a guy to the hospital with a plastic
C-collar yesterday which could have been washed and reused, but rules
forbid.

Last year we couldn't even scrounge the titanium pins from a friend's
leg. I wouldn't mind so much, but the plan was to forge something
memorable out of them. The first thing we'd have done would be to heat
them to a thousand degrees!

loutent

I'm so old, I can remember when we washed out the suction, instead of
throwing away a barf-filled container.

Ahhh...the good old days.

I think I saw something like that with Otis on an
old "Andy Griffith".

Lou
George

"loutent" wrote in message

I'm so old, I can remember when we washed out the suction, instead of
throwing away a barf-filled container.

Ahhh...the good old days.

I think I saw something like that with Otis on an
old "Andy Griffith".

Fortunately I was pretty senior, and it was a job for the junior member.

Question on every EMT test.

"How do you position a patient who is projectile vomiting?"

Answer

Facing your partner.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 04 May 2005 01:06:58 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:39:09 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Sterilization is another problem. Sent a guy to the hospital with a plastic
C-collar yesterday which could have been washed and reused, but rules
forbid.

Last year we couldn't even scrounge the titanium pins from a friend's
leg. I wouldn't mind so much, but the plan was to forge something
memorable out of them. The first thing we'd have done would be to heat
them to a thousand degrees!

Things do get silly. But who is now saying you can't reuse a c-collar,
George? Is this somethig local, or did I miss something?

What's next, disposable backboards?
George

wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:39:09 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Sterilization is another problem. Sent a guy to the hospital with a

plastic
C-collar yesterday which could have been washed and reused, but rules
forbid.

Last year we couldn't even scrounge the titanium pins from a friend's
leg. I wouldn't mind so much, but the plan was to forge something
memorable out of them. The first thing we'd have done would be to heat
them to a thousand degrees!

Things do get silly. But who is now saying you can't reuse a c-collar,
George? Is this somethig local, or did I miss something?

What's next, disposable backboards?

Protocol for us. I don't know whether it's medical control or state that
mandates.

State says we can't use wood anymore on backboards - only the plastic. I
fear they may come up with something like disposable if given half a chance.
I'm waiting for someone to see what's growing on even a bleached KED, then
we'll all be using those crappy cardboard jobbies.