Default Feeling like Judas

OK, you dyed in the wool woodworkers who can't see any further than
your next corner hutch...put aside all your feelings about the changing
(or changed) labor market, international relations, the emerging 3rd
world, and go to Harbor Freight like I did, for the countersink drill
bit set which is actually better than the one from Fuller that costs 60
dollars, for only 12!

Patrick Conroy

Dave Hall wrote in
:

different prices...and hey, I could use a good countersink bit set!

I grabbed a full Tapered set (is that the same as "countersink") from Tool
King for $19. Hickory brand. I've never used a tapered drill
bit/countersink combo and wanted to see what they're all about.

Nineteen bucks seemed like a decent "take a chance" price.

If you are going to recommend a HF product, you should include the
item number, including the appropriate 3 digit/letter sale or calalog
code :-) HF probably has 20 different countersink bit sets and each
probably has 20 different final 3 digits in it part number with 20
different prices...and hey, I could use a good countersink bit set!

Dave Hall

O.K., it's item #00550, "22pc. high speed steel bits" including wooden
storage box, 7 pilot bits, 7 countersinks, 7 depth collars, and one
allen wrench. Mysteriously there is an identical set at the store for
$9 something that is a "low speed" set. As with most good bargains
there is a slight hitch - you will probably want to replace the tapered
bits, which tend to burn up and "suck down" into the wood, with a cheap
set of regular twist drills. I never found those twist bits to be
worth the advantage of having a tapered hole.
But the countersinks themselves seem to be staying sharp, which is the
important thing.