Demonseed

Default Antique Reporoduction Canopy Bed BRACING help

Hello,
My wife and I purchased an antique reproduction canopy bed.. its
assembled..however I would like to make it much more sturdier. Can
anyone advise me how to do it, without damaging the look too much?

The link below is what we have.

http://www.estatesalenow.com/product...pyenlarged.htm

I have screwed in some metal L brackets in each corner...(inside near
the mattress area. Attached SLIDES to posts) and theres for flattened L
brackets on the canopy top)

I am not sure what to do to stablize the bed more. I was considering L
brackets all over the place to secure the joints.. and maybe place a
large piece of plywood under the mattress? under the mattress is a
series of planks....around 2x2.....

The bottom part meaning headboard to foot board is fairly solid but the
higher portions are not.. any suggestions, links, photos or comments
would be much appreciated!

thanks
JIM

Andy Dingley

On 1 May 2005 13:01:02 -0700, "Demonseed"
wrote:

I would like to make it much more sturdier. Can
anyone advise me how to do it, without damaging the look too much?

Take a chainsaw to it, then buy something decent in the first place.
Good solid joinery is a matter of design in the first place, not buying
some cheap particle board garbage and then trying to nail brackets onto
it.