martin

Default Outdoor furniture wood choices

Got the world from La SWMBO to built 4 adirondack chairs.There are two
choices of wood available to me cypress and eastern red cedar.The cypress is
not the sinkers kind but from a little search is just as good as cedar for
outdoors properties.Im kinda leaning to go cypress since it is a hardwood
and the cedar is not.

--
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen.....
Jimi Hendrix

Tom O'Connor

Cypress seems like a good choice to me.

Edwin Pawlowski

"martin" wrote in message
.Im kinda leaning to go cypress since it is a hardwood
and the cedar is not.

I'd go with cypress. You can see a couple of things I've made with it on my
web page.

Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

John Anderson

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.Im kinda leaning to go cypress since it is a hardwood
and the cedar is not.

I'd go with cypress. You can see a couple of things I've made with it on
my web page.

Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ed,

The two garden benches you made look fantastic!
Nicely done!

John
Marietta, GA
David D

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I'd go with cypress. You can see a couple of things I've made with it on
my web page.

Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Roble seems to be becoming an increasingly popular choice for commercially
made outdoor furniture here (Ontario Canada), although I have yet to find a
local source for the wood itself.

I like what I read about it and the look of it, but wondered if anyone in
the group has any experience working with it?

Art and Diane

I made several folding Adirondack chairs from Cypress, including 2 for a
hospital charity auctionthat brought $950. They looked great, but I
found I had to be really careful not to split it. Predrill all holes
and finish driving the screws by hand (not by drill driver). It may not
be considered a softwood, but I found it very light weight. Finishes
beautifully with an oil finish.

Good luck, Art

martin wrote:

Got the world from La SWMBO to built 4 adirondack chairs.There are two
choices of wood available to me cypress and eastern red cedar.The cypress is
not the sinkers kind but from a little search is just as good as cedar for
outdoors properties.Im kinda leaning to go cypress since it is a hardwood
and the cedar is not.

Cypress is a softwood, e.g. the tree is a conifer.

--

FF

Dave Hall

Last time I was at Costco's, they had a nice Adirondack chair with an
ottoman made from a nice looking "teakish" wood with brass looking
hardware for something like $130. While I think I could buy enough PT
wood to build the set for that much, I couldn't buy enough decent wood
or anything like the "teakish" wood for that price. And for those who
feel that building the chair is the important part, it comes
flat-packed and you do have to put it together :-)

Dave Hall